Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

Jets should go all in on Lamar over Rodgers. This boils down to do you want a just turned 26 year old, or soon to 40 year old leading your franchise? 

I wish they would.  Buffalo has shown they know how to defend a Lemur led defense.

There was one previous fully guaranteed QB contract previous to Browns - Kirk Cousins.

It did not set market.

After earning starting spot for Washington he played under tag until Washington could no longer afford to tag him.

Cousins went to Vikings in 2018 on a three-year, $84 million fully-guaranteed deal.

He's returned on one-year extensions the last two seasons and selected to Pro Bowl three if the five years in Minnesota.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CousKi00.htm

He has started every game but one since being named starter and that may have been a game they rested him.

Lemur has not shown that availability and availability is most important attribute.

I hope he sits out this year for no other reason than to watch the experiment.  

Sherman and Johnson are morons imho.  No entertainer is worth that much money annyway.  and it’s not their money they are happy to spend. It’s not the owners money either-in large part it ends up being OUR money that pays for it with higher ticket prices and product costs for those that sponsor the NFL. 

As i keep listening to both sides it becomes more and more obsurd. I hope Thw Browns fail and the Lamar fails all because of greed amongst the many party’s involved

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Jets should go all in on Lamar over Rodgers. This boils down to do you want a just turned 26 year old, or soon to 40 year old leading your franchise? 

From the way the Johnson boys run that organization, just send them a Tweet 'Hey Johnsons!  Why not both?!?', and they should go on a spree. 😁

10 hours ago, purple haze said:

Yes, it does.   it’s Jackson’s market because he’s a commensurate player to the QB who got that deal.  It’s not Daniel Jones or Sam Darnold’s market.

Jackson should ask for that deal.  The Ravens don’t have to pay it.  It’s business.

His market value is what the market determines.  Since neither the Ravens nor any other team feels he's worth a fully guaranteed contract, that's his market.

17 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Doesn’t have a prayer of getting that kind of guaranteed money.  He really needs an agent.

He's needs a reality check.  An agent would fire him as a client soon after being hired.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, purple haze said:

He’s trying to get what he wants and feels he deserves based on his accomplishments and what the market set.   Had the Ravens paid him earlier on this situation wouldn’t exist.  The Ravens have themselves to blame.

With what Jackson has meant to the Ravens, no, I would not take less from them.  If I had to settle it would be somewhere else where I have no history.

Paid him what...a fully guaranteed salary?  That's was never going to happen, no matter how much he demanded it.  You know this would be foolish.

What he has meant to the Ravens?  Well let's see..

5 seasons, 101 passing TDs.  24 rushing TDs.  One season over 3000 yards.  3 playoff appearances in  a row to start his career: threw total of 3 TDs vs 5 ints. 1 win.  Season has ended weeks before Christmas the past 2 years.  Ravens made the playoffs without him this season--and his backup had a better game than Jackson has ever had in the playoffs.

The Ravens were a more successful team with Flacco than Jackson, hands down.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Doesn’t have a prayer of getting that kind of guaranteed money.  He really needs an agent.

Since he does not have a prayer of chance maybe he should try the other guy. :devil:

2 hours ago, Doc said:

His market value is what the market determines.  Since neither the Ravens nor any other team feels he's worth a fully guaranteed contract, that's his market.

He's needs a reality check.  An agent would fire him as a client soon after being hired.

Agree on agent.  Issue is not the guaranteed contract, it is how much he wants in guaranteed contract. 

If he was getting a Kirk Cousins type of contract it would be different.

22 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Since he does not have a prayer of chance maybe he should try the other guy. :devil:

Agree on agent.  Issue is not the guaranteed contract, it is how much he wants in guaranteed contract. 

If he was getting a Kirk Cousins type of contract it would be different.

He was offered Kirk Cousins type of contract and he turned it down.

• Like (+1) 1

This debate just keeps going.  IF these huge $ fully guaranteed QB contracts become the norm, there will come a time that a team(s) (and its fans)

will truly regret it.  These contracts have a risk of destroying a franchise.

I will add to my observation using Deshaun Watson as an example.

Watson has restructured this year pushing his cost for the next 3 seasons to $64M per year.  What if Deshaun suffers a serious injury that is

NOT career ending?  What is this injury limits a QB and the team is perpetually a sub .500 team?  They can't cut him and they surely couldn't

trade him.  The Browns already have $9M pushed out into a void year in 2027.  

Think of teams from a few years back that could have been saddled with these types of contracts.  Wentz would still be on the Eagles and

the Ravens may never have had the option of drafting Lamar if Joe Flacco's contract was fully guaranteed.  This is right off the top of my head.

Personally, I don't think it's good for the league.

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

The Jets coaching staff and GM probably know they're on a short list after failing with Zach Wilson. Rodgers is a more plug and producer than Lamar. If they can make it the playoffs in 2023 they likely can secure another two to three seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

The Jets coaching staff and GM probably know they're on a short list after failing with Zach Wilson. Rodgers is a more plug and producer than Lamar. If they can make it the playoffs in 2023 they likely can secure another two to three seasons.

Lamar is so much more challenging to coach. Rodgers w his hand picked OC will be set to go. Hackett post Denver disaster then gets Lamar who needs a very specific offensive design. Certainly better than what they have had, but it’s no automatic it will work day 1 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just now, QLBillsFan said:

Lamar is so much more challenging to coach. Rodgers w his hand picked OC will be set to go. Hackett post Denver disaster then gets Lamar who needs a very specific offensive design. Certainly better than what they have had, but it’s no automatic it will work day 1 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oh I agree the Jets have questions at OL, TE and RB. Even with their additions am not sold on their WRs either. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Paid him what...a fully guaranteed salary?  That's was never going to happen, no matter how much he demanded it.  You know this would be foolish.

What he has meant to the Ravens?  Well let's see..

5 seasons, 101 passing TDs.  24 rushing TDs.  One season over 3000 yards.  3 playoff appearances in  a row to start his career: threw total of 3 TDs vs 5 ints. 1 win.  Season has ended weeks before Christmas the past 2 years.  Ravens made the playoffs without him this season--and his backup had a better game than Jackson has ever had in the playoffs.

The Ravens were a more successful team with Flacco than Jackson, hands down.

Cool.  If he’s no better than Flacco or Huntley, let him go.  Take the tag off or trade him.    Why hold onto him if the backup is better?     Play Huntley.  Good luck to them. 

3 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Cool.  If he’s no better than Flacco or Huntley, let him go.  Take the tag off or trade him.    Why hold onto him if the backup is better?     Play Huntley.  Good luck to them. 

Actually, the strategy the Ravens are employing is smart. The non exclusive forces other teams in the NFL to create his current market value which they can then match. They gave him the 133m  guaranteed offer which he didn’t think was of value. If they don’t match it they get 2# 1’s which allows them to move on. From a 12-14 ranked qb who has to some degree been figured out, injury prone, who needs an offense geared around his skills. That to me is the making the best of the situation. The Ravens will survive this. Lamar 🤷🏻‍♂️?

• Agree 4

12 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Huntley isn’t better.  He played better in his one playoff appearance

12 hours ago, Doc said:

I think his market value is being manipulated by the owners, but it is what is.   He’s not getting that Watson deal even if there was an owner out there willing to give it to him.  Now, it’s about where he’ll play next.  

• Sad 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, purple haze said:

I think his market value is being manipulated by the owners, but it is what is.   He’s not getting that Watson deal even if there was an owner out there willing to give it to him.  Now, it’s about where he’ll play next.  

If an owner felt he was worth it they would give it to him. Of course the NFL is in control. The Browns Watson contract was irresponsible and foolish. That’s not the NFL. Mahomes maybe Burrow ? Josh ? Herbert. Not Lamar he’s just not that good. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.