Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

so instead of going for the unreasonable guy they're just gonna go with mediocre and essentially waste years of their franchise?  washington and the falcons have zero chance of winning next year at least with lamar they'd have a great shot at the division. Without him nothing. 

I think Lamar is unreasonable, but if I am the Falcons, I'm definitely taking a shot.

34 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

so instead of going for the unreasonable guy they're just gonna go with mediocre and essentially waste years of their franchise?  washington and the falcons have zero chance of winning next year at least with lamar they'd have a great shot at the division. Without him nothing. 

A “shot” at the division isn’t The Superbowl

he ain’t gonna get you there so what’s the point at this price

6 minutes ago, stuvian said:

can the Ravens trade him? No one will both make him the highest paid player on a guaranteed deal and cough up two firsts

I think he will see that, in time. If he signs for the tag, then I assume he could be traded but nobody would take him without a deal worked out. I really don’t like fully guaranteed contracts. Guys like Dareus come to mind. It may be coming, but I hope it’s slowly. 

4 hours ago, H2o said:

It trips me out how these "analysts" and the sports media crowd keeps trying to say, "this team should trade for Lamar. No, this team should trade for Lamar. Lamar makes the most sense here. Lamar should be the top priority of (blank)." I mean really, do they even think about the drivel before it tumbles out of their mouths? Then they act like it's a conspiracy or some kind of travesty that no one is doing the things they are suggesting. Two first round picks to the Ravens and the guy wants a contract with the most GUARANTEED $$$ in the history of the NFLIt's not rocket science. It's two 1sts and a contract that could set your franchise back for years to come, especially if Lamar suffers a play style altering injury. It's a huge risk for a guy who has missed at least 5 games per year the last two due to injury. This is why the analysts and sports media crowd aren't GM's or owners. Because they would fall flat. He also should've coughed up the 2 or 3 % and hired Drew Rosenhaus. He would've been sitting on a nice guarantee by now. Maybe not the Watson contract, because the Browns are idiots, but he would have gotten more than Russell Wilson or Kyler Murray I bet. 

1. Lamar not having an agent is a dumb move

2. Lamar not having an agent and demanding that much guaranteed money with his injury history is a dumb move.

3. Lamar thinking he has a chance to find a sucker franchise who will piss off the other owners is a dumb move.

These analysts on TV all hold onto this notion, much like with Rodgers, that "former MVP" seems to mean something. No, recent playoff records mean something. Having the talent around you to succeed means something. Watching that Ravens/Bengals playoff game I came to the realization that HUNTLEY almost won that game for the Ravens with the dearth of offensive talent around him. The Ravens KNOW that they don't need to pay his price, and so here we are.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

1. Lamar not having an agent is a dumb move

2. Lamar not having an agent and demanding that much guaranteed money with his injury history is a dumb move.

3. Lamar thinking he has a chance to find a sucker franchise who will piss off the other owners is a dumb move.

These analysts on TV all hold onto this notion, much like with Rodgers, that "former MVP" seems to mean something. No, recent playoff records mean something. Having the talent around you to succeed means something. Watching that Ravens/Bengals playoff game I came to the realization that HUNTLEY almost won that game for the Ravens with the dearth of offensive talent around him. The Ravens KNOW that they don't need to pay his price, and so here we are.

Huntley isn’t in the same stratosphere as Lamar, but Lamar isn’t as great as Lamar thinks.

• Agree 1

Lamar has this delusion he is better than Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Tua, Dak, hurts and others I can mention.

But when it come right down to it this guy has only one advantage, he can run better than the most of mentioned guys above, but just barely and he gets hurt more than these guys above as well.

So in his delusions of grandeur he believes he deserves the most guaranteed money ever.

Hate to burst you bubble pal but you are a 2nd rate passer and you always have been.  If you couldn't run you would not even be starting as a 1st string QB.

Sit your sorry ass down on the bench this year.  You are not getting paid!! 

He’s going to sit on $32.4 mil until he’s ready to accept $45 mil for this season. Then, next year we do this all over again.

i will say this though, the NFL off season is more interesting than all the other sports going on right now combined. LJ and Rodgers are filling up hours upon hours of talk show content. 

15 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

Lamar has this delusion he is better than Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Tua, Dak, hurts and others I can mention.

But when it come right down to it this guy has only one advantage, he can run better than the most of mentioned guys above, but just barely and he gets hurt more than these guys above as well.

So in his delusions of grandeur he believes he deserves the most guaranteed money ever.

Hate to burst you bubble pal but you are a 2nd rate passer and you always have been.  If you couldn't run you would not even be starting as a 1st string QB.

Sit your sorry ass down on the bench this year.  You are not getting paid!! 

Not so sure it's delusions of grandeur. Someone made a great point somewhere that said, without an agent and real representation, Lamar has basically NO endorsement deals. Even if he had an agent, he isnt a great spokesman/actor/face of a product as it is.

So with that, he knows he isnt going to get many/any endorsements and has to plan on not making that money like most other QBs.

That is why Watson pushed for the large, fully guaranteed contract. He DEFINITELY isnt getting any endorsement deals, and has to make all his money in the NFL alone. Jackson is following that model.

So in that light, I do get where Lamar is coming from. Even though I think he is wrong in just about every other way he is handling this.

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Somewhere The Rock is watching this situation VERY close. Can you imagine if Jackson went to the XFL?

I dont think the entire XFL payroll adds up to what Lamar is asking for. Not even sure the entire LEAGUE is worth $250M :lol:

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not so sure it's delusions of grandeur. Someone made a great point somewhere that said, without an agent and real representation, Lamar has basically NO endorsement deals. Even if he had an agent, he isnt a great spokesman/actor/face of a product as it is.

So with that, he knows he isnt going to get many/any endorsements and has to plan on not making that money like most other QBs.

That is why Watson pushed for the large, fully guaranteed contract. He DEFINITELY isnt getting any endorsement deals, and has to make all his money in the NFL alone. Jackson is following that model.

So in that light, I do get where Lamar is coming from. Even though I think he is wrong in just about every other way he is handling this.

I dont think the entire XFL payroll adds up to what Lamar is asking for. Not even sure the entire LEAGUE is worth $250M :lol:

For sure, but if there’s one dude who can convince Jackson to take less and stick it to the NFL, it’s Rocky Miavia. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, papazoid said:

#1- a player who represents himself has a fool for a client

#2- the NFLPA wants all contracts to be guaranteed so badly they are using/giving lamar bad advice at his peril

So Laremy Tunsil and Roquan Smith are fools?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

Came here to say this. Other players include Bobby Wagner, DeAndre Hopkins and Jacoby Brissett. Last year there were 17 players who repped themselves. I’m not saying they are all going to be as successful as Tunsil was, but they’ve done pretty well all things considered.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Billl said:

i dont' think it's that simple.

grant hill got a max contract in the nba long ago "representing himself" but he had some legal reps who did contracts for him and get him some pretty straight forward information (a max contract does make it simple tho).

I'd expect tunsil et al to have had legal reps (obv) and some accountant service or financial adviser who basically gave them expertise on the contracts and they just played the poker to get the contract they wanted.  

im not saying i know who is involved w jackson, but i do think there are different levels to repping one's self.

• Agree 1

The NFL wants CEOs for QBs. An offensive lineman or linebacker is no standard for what’s expected of these high profile quarterbacks. Again, an owner has to feel comfortable with agent-less, endorsement-less Jackson as its franchise face. The NFL wants exactly the same. Because they’re one in the same. 

So far, Baltimore isn’t comfortable with that deal. I think the transparency of this whole situation would be fascinating to read about. It is not about play on the field as much as it’s about giving a player’s mom $200 million. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.