Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think Bateman is talented but it doesn’t really matter if you don’t play. He’s missed 16 games in 2 years. He was supposed to be their one  after they traded away brown. Dobbins is always hurt. I’m not even sure if they’re other receivers off the top of my head. It is not a talented group and the most talented players are always hurt.

I actually think Davis is the perfect type of receiver for Jackson. 

Can’t argue with that.  Gotta be able to play.  The guy was never injured in college. Can’t stay healthy in B-more.  

Healthy, I think he’s better than Gabe.  

9 hours ago, chongli said:

But he's already missed something like $70million by not signing an extension sooner like Josh. This was mentioned by Mike Florio last week or so. I don't see missing $32 million more to be a problem for him. I think he also said he was not going to play for the Ravens this year unless they used the non-exclusive tag on him ($45 million I think). He's bull-headed.

if he sits out he doesn’t get an accrued year and the ravens can just tag him again next season. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Um, Hollywood brown was better with Lamar than he was in Arizona. Andrews was a 3rd round rookie with Lamar. It’s Lamar’s fault that Bateman is made of glass? 

this is just blatantly wrong. 

They've invested heavier on Offense around Lamar than the Bills have around Allen.  

Maybe Lamar needs a Diggs.. he has Andrews, but Stefon Diggs type WR's don't want to play with Lamar, so....

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Um, Hollywood brown was better with Lamar than he was in Arizona. Andrews was a 3rd round rookie with Lamar. It’s Lamar’s fault that Bateman is made of glass? 

this is just blatantly wrong. 

All that means is Lamar is better at elevating WRs than Kyler Murray, which isnt saying much since both QBs stink. :P

Edited by DrDawkinstein

The more I think of it, if you're a star QB in this league isn't your contract basically guaranteed anyway?

Let's say the Ravens sign him 5 years, $250 million but only 1/2 is guaranteed. If he plays well and is who he is he will see every penny, because he would have to agree to a restructure of they would have to cut him. Otherwise, he will get the $$. 

Josh Allen will see every penny of his contract here, and then some, regardless of guarantees. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They've invested heavier on Offense around Lamar than the Bills have around Allen.  

Maybe Lamar needs a Diggs.. he has Andrews, but Stefon Diggs type WR's don't want to play with Lamar, so....

Ravens I guess are targeting WR who have to want to win first and foremost.

now every NFL receiver will tell the media all they care about is winning and that their own individual production come secondary.

which is a lie.  Why do we know?

Only Patrick Mahomes has a higher Winning Percentage of starting QBs with more than 50 games played (okay and Jimmy G).

Lamar … wins.

But that isn’t good enough for WRs who “just want to win”.  Which they don’t.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

if he sits out he doesn’t get an accrued year and the ravens can just tag him again next season. 

Thanks. I was thinking he might just show his anger by not reporting until the 12th game. This way, although he would get less of a salary, he would still get an accrued Sesson credit, and the second tag the next year would be more expensive. He probably won't do that, as someone else mentioned, but I am just thinking of the possibilities in this case, since it is so bizarre.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doc said:

Huh?  What's that about Belicheat?

I think it would be interesting to see which narrative would win out? The current one or the old reliable. 

Right now the media narrative is that the Watson deal didn’t happen and Lamar is a tyrant diva who accidentally donates his time to kids and money to charity. He fumbles the ball to receivers hands for TDs but he can only run. Most of his injuries are due to butterfly wing pulses because he’s made of tissue paper. 

But if NE traded for Lamar, the old chestnut narrative of BB being Stephen Hawking of football would probably win out. He’d be lauded for being smarter than everyone else yet again. Because Bellicheat is the goat and outsmarts the waiter at Olive Garden at lunch subconsciously. The waiter gives him money at the end. Bill would be outthinking the entire NFL and locking up his franchise QB for years. 

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I see the same possibility with Aaron Rodgers. Sportscasters are touting the Jets as super bowl contenders but I can't see it. Rodgers is old (for football), very rich, and seems to have other things on his mind besides football. I for one expect him to get injured and sit out much of the season.

Keep in mind I have no factual basis to make this prediction LOL. Call it a strong hunch.

I see no desire for Rodgers to get a second ring but have some better weapons might be enough.  JEST might decide to go all out this year aka LA Rams to get their 2nd Superbowl career win. Will Joe Namath lend him his coat?

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

The more I think of it, if you're a star QB in this league isn't your contract basically guaranteed anyway?

Let's say the Ravens sign him 5 years, $250 million but only 1/2 is guaranteed. If he plays well and is who he is he will see every penny, because he would have to agree to a restructure of they would have to cut him. Otherwise, he will get the $$. 

Josh Allen will see every penny of his contract here, and then some, regardless of guarantees. 

Yes, and I have said the same.  The only way Josh doesn't get all of the money in his contract would be a career ending injury.

Another key point any agent would be stressing.

• Like (+1) 1

It trips me out how these "analysts" and the sports media crowd keeps trying to say, "this team should trade for Lamar. No, this team should trade for Lamar. Lamar makes the most sense here. Lamar should be the top priority of (blank)." I mean really, do they even think about the drivel before it tumbles out of their mouths? Then they act like it's a conspiracy or some kind of travesty that no one is doing the things they are suggesting. Two first round picks to the Ravens and the guy wants a contract with the most GUARANTEED $$$ in the history of the NFLIt's not rocket science. It's two 1sts and a contract that could set your franchise back for years to come, especially if Lamar suffers a play style altering injury. It's a huge risk for a guy who has missed at least 5 games per year the last two due to injury. This is why the analysts and sports media crowd aren't GM's or owners. Because they would fall flat. He also should've coughed up the 2 or 3 % and hired Drew Rosenhaus. He would've been sitting on a nice guarantee by now. Maybe not the Watson contract, because the Browns are idiots, but he would have gotten more than Russell Wilson or Kyler Murray I bet. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I see the same possibility with Aaron Rodgers. Sportscasters are touting the Jets as super bowl contenders but I can't see it. Rodgers is old (for football), very rich, and seems to have other things on his mind besides football. I for one expect him to get injured and sit out much of the season.

Keep in mind I have no factual basis to make this prediction LOL. Call it a strong hunch.

I agree 💯.  These things just seem so predictable 

10 hours ago, aristocrat said:

the same risk is there if you sign him to a five year deal with three of those guaranteed.  If you don’t sign him you’re in qb he’ll anyways going with has beens like the skins and falcons did last year and will this coming year. In your mind they shouldn’t sign anyone cause what if something bad happens lol. 

What about drafting a QB. 

what about waiting a year to get someone else

many options without giving up the future of the franchise for a Top 20 passer top 5 runner and top 10 injured QB

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

What about drafting a QB. 

what about waiting a year to get someone else

many options without giving up the future of the franchise for a Top 20 passer top 5 runner and top 10 injured QB

what if you miss on qb like jets and Wilson and Darnold, baker with browns etc?  he didn’t even get hurt on a run play he got hurt on awkward sacks. Lamar can play if that knee is healthy so if it is teams should trade picks for a guy who can legit play. 

5 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

what if you miss on qb like jets and Wilson and Darnold, baker with browns etc?  he didn’t even get hurt on a run play he got hurt on awkward sacks. Lamar can play if that knee is healthy so if it is teams should trade picks for a guy who can legit play. 

My risk reward at that price says no deal.  

his actions also state he is unreasonable and doesn’t have a sense of the market. 

like a really pretty girlfriend that is just a princess.  You get sick of her sh$t fast because you’ve seen her mom 

Just now, Behindenemylines said:

My risk reward at that price says no deal.  

his actions also state he is unreasonable and doesn’t have a sense of the market. 

like a really pretty girlfriend that is just a princess.  You get sick of her sh$t fast because you’ve seen her mom 

so instead of going for the unreasonable guy they're just gonna go with mediocre and essentially waste years of their franchise?  washington and the falcons have zero chance of winning next year at least with lamar they'd have a great shot at the division. Without him nothing. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.