Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

@chongli

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-franchise-tag-what-it-is-how-it-works/

"It is worth noting that if a player does sit out the year, the team can tag them again the following year, but it will escalate in cost. Sitting out a year does not mean the NFL team can keep them at the same cost the following season."

So he can sit out the whole year and the Ravens can tag him again next year, but it will count as the 2nd time tagged, not the 1st.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

Lamar is so terrible, can't pass, and is always injured until Belicheat gives him exactly what the deal he wants then he's a genius with psychic foresight that the entire colluding NFL couldn't see. But that's old Billy playbook stealer, he's just smarter than everyone else. Takes away your best weapon and so on.

Huh?  What's that about Belicheat?

13 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

@chongli

"It is worth noting that if a player does sit out the year, the team can tag them again the following year, but it will escalate in cost. Sitting out a year does not mean the NFL team can keep them at the same cost the following season."

So he can sit out the whole year and the Ravens can tag him again next year, but it will count as the 2nd time tagged, not the 1st.

Yeah but Lamar misses out on $32M.  On top of the ~$42M he's already lost. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

@chongli

Thank you for writing that. I realize it will cost them more, but my question is can he effectively refuse to play for most of those two tagged seasons (2023 and 2024) with Baltimore, and then effectively force the Ravens hand into releasing him for 2025, as the third tag would be too expensive? IOW, I can easily see Lamar, with his obstinance, just giving up most of his salary for 2023 and 2024 to get out and out released for 2025.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Huh?  What's that about Belicheat?

Yeah but Lamar misses out on $32M.  On top of the ~$42M he's already lost. 

Thanks! Knowing Lamar, that's a good possibility. 😁

Edited by chongli

7 minutes ago, chongli said:

Thank you for writing that. I realize it will cost them more, but my question is can he effectively refuse to play for most of those two tagged seasons (2023 and 2024) with Baltimore, and then effectively force the Ravens hand into releasing him for 2025, as the third tag would be too expensive?

I believe yes. Bell sat out his 2nd tagged year in Pittsburgh and then the following year they let him walk not wanting to use the 3rd tag on him iirc.

Edit:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/03/13/sports/football/leveon-bell-jets.amp.html

"After a strong 2017 season, in which he rushed for 1,291 yards and led the N.F.L. with 406 touches, Bell turned down a contract offer that was reported at five years and $70 million, citing the small amount of guaranteed money in the deal. He then refused to play on a franchise tag that would have paid him $14.5 million in 2018, hoping that his conviction could earn a shot at unrestricted free agency.

The gambit paid off, at least in terms of freeing him from Pittsburgh’s control, as the Steelers decided they would not use the franchise tag on him again, making him a free agent. In exchange for his signing with the Jets, Pittsburgh will receive a compensatory pick in this year’s draft."

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

13 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I believe yes. Bell sat out his 2nd tagged year in Pittsburgh and then the following year they let him walk not wanting to use the 3rd tag on him iirc.

Edit:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/03/13/sports/football/leveon-bell-jets.amp.html

"After a strong 2017 season, in which he rushed for 1,291 yards and led the N.F.L. with 406 touches, Bell turned down a contract offer that was reported at five years and $70 million, citing the small amount of guaranteed money in the deal. He then refused to play on a franchise tag that would have paid him $14.5 million in 2018, hoping that his conviction could earn a shot at unrestricted free agency.

The gambit paid off, at least in terms of freeing him from Pittsburgh’s control, as the Steelers decided they would not use the franchise tag on him again, making him a free agent. In exchange for his signing with the Jets, Pittsburgh will receive a compensatory pick in this year’s draft."

Ok, awesome. So Bell actually didn't even sign the tag and the Steelers let him go the next season. I just don't see Baltimore that, since Lamar is younger and also better, and a franchise QB. They want something and will try to force Lamar into his senses.

1 minute ago, chongli said:

Ok, awesome. So Bell actually didn't even sign the tag and the Steelers let him go the next season. I just don't see Baltimore that, since Lamar is younger and also better, and a franchise QB. They want something and will try to force Lamar into his senses.

Pittsburgh had already tagged Bell once, so the one he didn't sign was the 2nd tag. Baltimore has got some time to figure it out before that happens.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

For a guy wanting $250M guaranteed, I can assure you he's not sitting out and missing out on $32M.

But he's already missed something like $70million by not signing an extension sooner like Josh. This was mentioned by Mike Florio last week or so. I don't see missing $32 million more to be a problem for him. I think he also said he was not going to play for the Ravens this year unless they used the non-exclusive tag on him ($45 million I think). He's bull-headed.

Edited by chongli

1 minute ago, chongli said:

But he's already missed something like $70 by not signing an extension sooner like Josh. This was mentioned by Florio last week or so. I don't see missing $32 million more to be a problem for him.

The difference is that up until now, he was under the Ravens' control and was waiting for his 5 years to end.  Now that he's seen the Ravens aren't budging and teams aren't lining up to meet his contract demands, he won't toss away $32M.  And what does sitting out a year do for him?  Make him even more likely to get a fully guaranteed contract as a FA in 2024? Unlikely.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

The difference is that up until now, he was under the Ravens' control and was waiting for his 5 years to end.  Now that he's seen the Ravens aren't budging and teams aren't lining up to meet his contract demands, he won't toss away $32M.  And what does sitting out a year do for him?  Make him even more likely to get a fully guaranteed contract as a FA in 2024? Unlikely.

Ah, I see. This makes sense. [Still, knowing Lamar, it would not shock me if he defies logic and gives up the $32 million (or more), as he has done continually!].

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Gabe Davis was a 4th RD pick. 

Ravens have drafted Lamar 2-RD1 WR’s and 2-RD3 WR’s. 

They’ve also drafted a bunch of TE’s, including Andrews and invested more in OL than we have. 

Maybe Lamar just can’t elevate anybody. 

He also had the best decoy in football.

xfccin8gndltt2vlshbh

• Haha (+1) 3

8 hours ago, aristocrat said:

What’s the risk? These teams profit no matter what. You have to pay a qb no matter what and if they’re star qbs you pay guaranteed money. The qb position is the most important position in all sports and he’s top 5 at it. 

These teams pay fired coaches so much they even had to warned by the league of how much money they were paying fired coaches. 

The risk is he gets hurt every season, misses numerous games, and the team fails to make the playoffs year after year.   You’re in QB hell, ala Stafford right now. 

or he gets his payday and decides to mail it in week after week.  With how he is negotiating I see that as a realistic possibility. Same hell

or after year one or two he declines and is too good to throw away and not good enough to keep.   Same hell

none of these options sell seats and jerseys and his coat sets you back 3-5 years easily.  

appears to me all risk for the team and the fact teams are drooling over him seems they have the same conclusion

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

The risk is he gets hurt every season, misses numerous games, and the team fails to make the playoffs year after year.   You’re in QB hell, ala Stafford right now. 

or he gets his payday and decides to mail it in week after week.  With how he is negotiating I see that as a realistic possibility. 

I see the same possibility with Aaron Rodgers. Sportscasters are touting the Jets as super bowl contenders but I can't see it. Rodgers is old (for football), very rich, and seems to have other things on his mind besides football. I for one expect him to get injured and sit out much of the season.

Keep in mind I have no factual basis to make this prediction LOL. Call it a strong hunch.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

or he gets his payday and decides to mail it in week after week.  With how he is negotiating I see that as a realistic possibility. Same hell

or after year one or two he declines and is too good to throw away and not good enough to keep.   Same hell

none of these options sell seats and jerseys and his coat sets you back 3-5 years easily.  

appears to me all risk for the team and the fact teams are drooling over him seems they have the same conclusion

the same risk is there if you sign him to a five year deal with three of those guaranteed.  If you don’t sign him you’re in qb he’ll anyways going with has beens like the skins and falcons did last year and will this coming year. In your mind they shouldn’t sign anyone cause what if something bad happens lol. 

11 hours ago, SCBills said:

Gabe Davis was a 4th RD pick. 

Ravens have drafted Lamar 2-RD1 WR’s and 2-RD3 WR’s. 

They’ve also drafted a bunch of TE’s, including Andrews and invested more in OL than we have. 

Maybe Lamar just can’t elevate anybody. 

Um, Hollywood brown was better with Lamar than he was in Arizona. Andrews was a 3rd round rookie with Lamar. It’s Lamar’s fault that Bateman is made of glass? 

this is just blatantly wrong. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/18/2023 at 6:41 PM, NewEra said:

I agree with all of this except I think Bateman is a better WR than Gabe Davis.  Bad system, bad throws + injuries have knocked him down the rung, but I think he’s pretty good

I think Bateman is talented but it doesn’t really matter if you don’t play. He’s missed 16 games in 2 years. He was supposed to be their one  after they traded away brown. Dobbins is always hurt. I’m not even sure if they’re other receivers off the top of my head. It is not a talented group and the most talented players are always hurt.

I actually think Davis is the perfect type of receiver for Jackson. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think Bateman is talented but it doesn’t really matter if you don’t play. He’s missed 16 games in 2 years. He was supposed to be their one  after they traded away brown. Dobbins is always hurt. I’m not even sure if they’re other receivers off the top of my head. It is not a talented group and the most talented players are always hurt.

I actually think Davis is the perfect type of receiver for Jackson. 

Lamar's missed 12 games (and probably would have missed more if his team had advanced in the playoffs) the past 2 years.  

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.