Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m not going to say he will ever be an elite passer but the Ravens have done him no favors. They have had one pro bowl offensive weapons, Andrews. Their receivers have been some of the worst in the league. Gabe Davis would be by far their best receiver and people hate him now! The best one he has ever had, Hollywood, is tiny and a number 2 at best on a good team and they traded him. 

I guess I’m in the minority but I think the guy who won a Heisman and mvp at 25 is really good. I watching good qb play so I would love to see him in a situation like Tua has in Miami with fast receivers. It’d be a problem. 

I agree with all of this except I think Bateman is a better WR than Gabe Davis.  Bad system, bad throws + injuries have knocked him down the rung, but I think he’s pretty good

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m not going to say he will ever be an elite passer but the Ravens have done him no favors. They have had one pro bowl offensive weapons, Andrews. Their receivers have been some of the worst in the league. Gabe Davis would be by far their best receiver and people hate him now! The best one he has ever had, Hollywood, is tiny and a number 2 at best on a good team and they traded him. 

I guess I’m in the minority but I think the guy who won a Heisman and mvp at 25 is really good. I watching good qb play so I would love to see him in a situation like Tua has in Miami with fast receivers. It’d be a problem. 

All true. But they created an entire O around him to generate his stats. He will not be good in a traditional O. Good luck to the next OC with him. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

All true. But they created an entire O around him to generate his stats. He will not be good in a traditional O. Good luck to the next OC with him. 

I mean, I don’t agree with that. He played in a very pro style offense in college. 

and even if he could work in one offense, why not get him better receivers? They have our little to no investment into fixing their crappy receivers. And given they suck at drafting them, they should do a Diggs type trade. 

the ravens are a great organization but they suck at building offenses.

• Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean, I don’t agree with that. He played in a very pro style offense in college. 

and even if he could work in one offense, why not get him better receivers? They have our little to no investment into fixing their crappy receivers. And given they suck at drafting them, they should do a Diggs type trade. 

You make some good points. But while they did not provide him great WR’s the entire O is the RPO set. WR’s seemed to be happy to leave partially because the O is run first but also they don’t see Lamar as an elite thrower. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

You make some good points. But while they did not provide him great WR’s the entire O is the RPO set. WR’s seemed to be happy to leave partially because the O is run first but also they don’t see Lamar as an elite thrower. 

And I’m not going to call him an elite thrower but they aren’t helping him. Which receiver has left Lamar and did better in the new situation? Hollywood brown, who’s not a number 1 but was playing one, was a 1,000 yard receiver in  Baltimore. His number went down in his first year in Arizona. 

Look at allen before Diggs. Much different player. Gets Diggs and it was like steroids.  I won’t say Lamar will be allen throwing but the guy won a MVP with basically scrubs around him besides Edwards. The ravens have one of the least talented offensive groups in the nfl. 

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

And I’m not going to call him an elite thrower but they aren’t helping him. Which receiver has left Lamar and did better in the new situation? Hollywood brown, who’s not a number 1 but was playing one, was a 1,000 yard receiver in  Baltimore. His number went down in his first year in Arizona. 

Look at allen before Diggs. Much different player. Gets Diggs and it was like steroids.  I won’t say Lamar will be allen throwing but the guy won a MVP with basically scrubs around him besides Edwards. The ravens have one of the least talented offensive groups in the nfl. 

I follow you. In fairness to Hollywood KM being injured really takes the comparison out vs the teams. The OL for the Ravens has certainly been above average. I will agree in the right situation Lamar could be solid. He’s also had the benefit of a stout D where 24 points will win most games since his W-L record is impressive. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/18/2023 at 4:53 PM, Thrivefourfive said:

He’s not a passer! What is this myth by all those that think Lamar is getting screwed out of money. If he was so good, where’s the money?? Truth is he was really lucky the Ravens transformed their entire offense to play to his strength, and both sides won. The Ravens were cool with continuing that, and consider his injuries (which no one cannot ignore), and sign him to a contract last year. 

Now, who wants him?? If he’s so freaking good, and such a great passer, who wants the fastest quarterback in the NFL?? Right now Lamar is colluding with Lamar. Obviously. 

Have to agree with some of this. He's a great player. But a team has to build an entire offense around his skill set and hope his legs hold up, which has been an issue. It's too big a chance to take on a 100% guaranteed contract.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Teams will blow stupid money on wash ups like wentz, Ryan and foles but scared to give real money to a legit talent. Scared money don’t make money 

But smart money does.  If LJ was almost reasonable he would have had a deal last year.  

he will end up losing far more is my assumption.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Lamar Jackson spent last offseason mapping his throws like Josh did in 2020, and went out and early in the season looked to be MVP level Lamar. Then injuries among skill positions took hold, and Jackson himself going down. Dude is going to get paid as he just turned 26. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/18/2023 at 5:29 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Gabe Davis was a 4th RD pick. 

Ravens have drafted Lamar 2-RD1 WR’s and 2-RD3 WR’s. 

They’ve also drafted a bunch of TE’s, including Andrews and invested more in OL than we have. 

Maybe Lamar just can’t elevate anybody. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

But smart money does.  If LJ was almost reasonable he would have had a deal last year.  

he will end up losing far more is my assumption.  

If teams were smart they’d make way more money if they signed him and managed to win a title. Guy is a top five talent and with weapons on offense would be deep playoff team. 

• Dislike 1

21 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

If teams were smart they’d make way more money if they signed him and managed to win a title. Guy is a top five talent and with weapons on offense would be deep playoff team. 

Not at those guarantees.   There is a higher than typical chance  he doesn’t play another full season again and could be out of the league due to injury.   It’s just too expensive and risky from an actuarial stand point I assume.   

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

9 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

This thinking that they haven’t provided him with receivers is false. They have used several first-third round picks on receivers, have signed free agents (Watkins) and it hasn’t worked. Maybe they aren’t the best receivers, but Brown had a first round grade by pretty much everyone, so did Bateman, Lamar just hasn’t been able to raise their level of play. That’s on Lamar and the system, I don’t put as much blame on the receivers 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Lamar is so terrible, can't pass, and is always injured until Belicheat gives him exactly what the deal he wants then he's a genius with psychic foresight that the entire colluding NFL couldn't see. But that's old Billy playbook stealer, he's just smarter than everyone else. Takes away your best weapon and so on.

38 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

Not at those guarantees.   There is a higher than typical chance  he doesn’t play another full season again and could be out of the league due to injury.   It’s just too expensive and risky from an actuarial stand point I assume.   

What’s the risk? These teams profit no matter what. You have to pay a qb no matter what and if they’re star qbs you pay guaranteed money. The qb position is the most important position in all sports and he’s top 5 at it. 

These teams pay fired coaches so much they even had to warned by the league of how much money they were paying fired coaches. 

• Disagree 2

Wanting something and getting something is two different things. BSF says whatever a player gets we the fans pay for at the end of the day so always remember that. For the fan that says give the players whatever they want the owner always passes the added cost onto the fans in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

32 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

What’s the risk? These teams profit no matter what. You have to pay a qb no matter what and if they’re star qbs you pay guaranteed money. The qb position is the most important position in all sports and he’s top 5 at it. 

These teams pay fired coaches so much they even had to warned by the league of how much money they were paying fired coaches. 

If you want to make the case of Lamar being a top 5 qb after the 2019 or even 2020 seasons ok. There's no way he's top 5 after these last 2 years. Combined in the last 2 years.....33 passing tds, 20 ints, 5 rushing tds, 5 lost fumbles. That's 38 total tds and 25 total turnovers in the last 2 seasons. Add to that missing 10 regular season games and parts of 3 more and 1 playoff game.

Josh had more total tds(42) in a 16 game season this year. Matter of fact there were 3 qbs with more total tds just this year and 6 qbs had more than that in 2021 and 1 more had exactly 38. He should've hired an agent and signed when Josh did before the 2021 season. 

• Like (+1) 2

Question:

What if:

(i) no team trades for Lamar given his guaranteed contract demands (probable), and

(ii) Lamar is angry and refuses to play for the Ravens this season (possible)?

Could he just sit out until the 12th game, then sign the tag in order to get six games for an accrued season? Then the Ravens could tag him again in 2024 (ala Kirk Cousins) and he could play the same game. But then in 2025, the third franchise tag would be too expensive for the Ravens, so they would have to transition tag him or just let him walk.

Is this correct?

Edited by chongli

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.