Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

3 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Agreed.  This is all on Lamar imo and his idiotic move to not have a agent and his momma as his advisor.  An analyst brought up a good point yesterday, think about how many millions Lamar has already cost himself the last few years by going the route he is going?  He can never get that money back as it's in the past now

And NFL agents only get 3%. It's not like with entertainment agents where they get a 10%-15% cut.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

And the percentage is negotiable. 

and the percentage is made back fairly quickly by larger named athletes due to them finding sponsorship deals. even mid-level guys pay beyond 3% knowing they'll get sponsorship and promotional gigs found by their agents to offset the %%.

this is why you hire someone who is a professional to do professional things. not your mom.

1 minute ago, boyst said:

and the percentage is made back fairly quickly by larger named athletes due to them finding sponsorship deals. even mid-level guys pay beyond 3% knowing they'll get sponsorship and promotional gigs found by their agents to offset the %%.

this is why you hire someone who is a professional to do professional things. not your mom.

Yeah but they don't care.  Once Watson got that deal, that was it.

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah but they don't care.  Once Watson got that deal, that was it.

i don't blame watson for the deal. he did exactly what he should have - got as much as he possibly can.

the browns did what they thought was fair and reasonable. 

the rest of the world realized it was stupid and now everyone is not just disappointed the business of the nfl is like this but that they are/were in denial that it is such a ruthless business.

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

i don't blame watson for the deal. he did exactly what he should have - got as much as he possibly can.

the browns did what they thought was fair and reasonable. 

the rest of the world realized it was stupid and now everyone is not just disappointed the business of the nfl is like this but that they are/were in denial that it is such a ruthless business.

I don't blame Lamar for asking for as much as he can get but there comes a point when you're just costing yourself far more money.  He's never going to recoup what he's lost.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, wppete said:

Does anyone know who is ‘advising’ Lamar as he doesn’t have an agent? Is it possible his ‘advisers’ are misleading him? Sure looks like it right now. 

His mom

54 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

They tried and he turned down a contract that was bigger than Josh's. He "bet on himself." And as soon as Deshawn Watson got that huge deal from Mr. Truckstop, Lamar and his mom have been fixated on getting more than that. The strategy really doesn't go much deeper than that.

This has been rumored and/or leaked by those around the Ravens but never confirmed.

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

I don't blame Lamar for asking for as much as he can get but there comes a point when you're just costing yourself far more money.  He's never going to recoup what he's lost.

part of me, the one that likes to see the world burn, wants to see him get what he asked for then fall on his face.

he would feel validated that he got what he asked for but never realize how much he actually lost. Lamar Jackson is the prototypical Zoomer generation.

On 3/16/2023 at 9:29 AM, wppete said:

I’m starting to think no other team gives up 2 first round picks and $200 million plus guaranteed for Lamar. He either is back with Baltimore or he sits out.  

starting to? It was never going to happen. Even without the picks it wasn’t going to happen. He is not good enough for that deal. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 3/16/2023 at 10:04 AM, Doc said:

He hasn’t lost anything yet.  Long way to go. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He's lost at least $42M the past 2 seasons compared to what Josh has made since he signed his extension.  Again he's not making that up, especially if he's forced to play under the franchise tender this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I like Lamar and he's fun to watch play. But even a lot of his passing is set up by his legs, or the threat there of. I know I've watched him throw 10 or 15 TD's in the Red Zone where he could run, but throws a little 3 yard type TD pass. He's one of the best scramble drill QB's I've ever seen, especially running to his right. He is NOT a traditional pocket passer though and never has been. He still struggles reading defenses, throwing passes outside the hashes, and with timing consistently.  

• Like (+1) 2

He’s not a passer! What is this myth by all those that think Lamar is getting screwed out of money. If he was so good, where’s the money?? Truth is he was really lucky the Ravens transformed their entire offense to play to his strength, and both sides won. The Ravens were cool with continuing that, and consider his injuries (which no one cannot ignore), and sign him to a contract last year. 

Now, who wants him?? If he’s so freaking good, and such a great passer, who wants the fastest quarterback in the NFL?? Right now Lamar is colluding with Lamar. Obviously. 

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, H2o said:

I like Lamar and he's fun to watch play. But even a lot of his passing is set up by his legs, or the threat there of. I know I've watched him throw 10 or 15 TD's in the Red Zone where he could run, but throws a little 3 yard type TD pass. He's one of the best scramble drill QB's I've ever seen, especially running to his right. He is NOT a traditional pocket passer though and never has been. He still struggles reading defenses, throwing passes outside the hashes, and with timing consistently.  

I’m not going to say he will ever be an elite passer but the Ravens have done him no favors. They have had one pro bowl offensive weapons, Andrews. Their receivers have been some of the worst in the league. Gabe Davis would be by far their best receiver and people hate him now! The best one he has ever had, Hollywood, is tiny and a number 2 at best on a good team and they traded him. 

I guess I’m in the minority but I think the guy who won a Heisman and mvp at 25 is really good. I watching good qb play so I would love to see him in a situation like Tua has in Miami with fast receivers. It’d be a problem. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m not going to say he will ever be an elite passer but the Ravens have done him no favors. They have had one pro bowl offensive weapons, Andrews. Their receivers have been some of the worst in the league. Gabe Davis would be by far their best receiver and people hate him now! The best one he has ever had, Hollywood, is tiny and a number 2 at best on a good team and they traded him. 

I guess I’m in the minority but I think the guy who won a Heisman and mvp at 25 is really good. I watching good qb play so I would love to see him in a situation like Tua has in Miami with fast receivers. It’d be a problem. 

He definitely would be much better off in NY with the Jets or Miami. I think he is exactly the type of QB that Jim Harbaugh and Greg Roman were looking for in SF though. He's CK, the upgraded in a lab version. Brown is better than Davis though. At least he can get separation. And the TE's? He's had one of the best TE's in the NFL in Andrew's, and Hurst wasn't a slouch either. Not to mention, the threat of his legs makes things happen. He'd definitely be a problem, like you said, in either Miami, NY, and possibly even Washington. 

Edited by H2o

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He has absolutely lost money by not having an agent. Where are his commercials? Where are his endorsement deals? Allen has Gillette. Mahomes and Rodgers have State Farm. Brady has Subway. Even Baker Mayfield had Progressive and at no point in his career has he been a better QB than Lamar Jackson.

Lamar has been an MVP and one of the most famous faces in the NFL since he's been a starter. All he has to show for it financially is the earnings from his rookie contract. He could have several endorsement deals and $100 million guaranteed locked up by now. He's being stupid and/or getting bad advice, no way you can argue otherwise.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.