Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I  wonder if he’s willing to offer a team concessions if he gets hurt?  I doubt it but it could make the contract more palatable. 

That would be VERY different, but that sounds/feels like exactly what he’s trying to avoid. He wants to be paid regardless of how things turn out, from the sound of it. It’s hard to know for sure, because without an actual qualified agent representing him, there is no spin to make this look like anything other than he’s just greedy. They might also have wanted to squelch the feeling out there that he may have missed the playoffs because maybe he wanted to make a point. That whole “when will Lamar be back?” was sketchy IMO. 

There should never be a doubt as to whether you WANT to play. Can you imagine Josh taking that path? Josh would (and maybe HAS) played even when he shouldn’t. Very, very different. 

Get a real agent, Lamar. 

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont think many teams would do it, but it just takes one.

Tell me Blank wouldnt do it. The city would be instantly electrified for the season.

Maybe, if he was going to play for UGA or Georgia Tech.  

I’ve found Falcons fans to be a rather elusive breed.  😋

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Maybe, if he was going to play for UGA or Georgia Tech.  

I’ve found Falcons fans to be a rather elusive breed.  😋

Can't argue with you there. With everything else going on in this city, fans are incredibly fair weather, and you need a major draw to get them in the door.

I do think Lamar would provide exactly that.

17 minutes ago, Udubalum07 said:

I think he will have to play this year.  On about 15 million less than what he turned down.  He is a specialty scheme qb that is not worth what teams would have to give up. 

can you even replicate that scheme/personnel in time before hes on the trash heap of formerly mobile qb who lost half a step and is now "above average". sure you could put together some solid regular seasons, but if baltimore cant put together a deep playoff run with him.... whos going to have a few years to tailor to him, and hope he hasnt lost that half step that makes him elite.

image.png.8ccd059de15d6103f587d67387058a6e.png

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

I  wonder if he’s willing to offer a team concessions if he gets hurt?  I doubt it but it could make the contract more palatable. 

doubtful. thats literally his whole concern with the guarantees, doubt hes worried about sucking and getting cut lol

10 minutes ago, Udubalum07 said:

I think he will have to play this year.  On about 15 million less than what he turned down.  He is a specialty scheme qb that is not worth what teams would have to give up. 

There's a chance/risk that a team signing Lamar will have to give up more than money, lots of it, and picks even assuming he stays healthy season long.
Are people completely satisfied that Lamar can operate in a different, perhaps more pass heavy offence, or is he more scheme specific? The offence he has been running was designed with his unique skill set in mind by an acknowledged master. Perhaps this was the best way to maximize his performance and production. Clearly the Ravens thought so.

So does his new team either immediately or in the future have to restructure their offence to best accommodate Lamar and give him the best chance to be successful? Many HCs/OCs would be reluctant to do this.  
Lamar probably wants the opportunity to show that he can run a more "normal" up to date nfl offense. Thing is though people have had questions, rightly or wrongly, about his arm strength and, perhaps more importantly, his processing and decision making. I can't myself have a view on this because I don't see him enough but I just wonder if this might be an additional hurdle teams feel they have to clear and get comfortable with before making him an offer.

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Can't argue with you there. With everything else going on in this city, fans are incredibly fair weather, and you need a major draw to get them in the door.

I do think Lamar would provide exactly that.

I would really love to see them relevant again, and in that division it should be possible. But to be elite, you also need to be smart, and I’m not sure how wise the price of picks and dollars is in this case. If your cap is used up, you need cheap labor, but it’s tough to do without first round picks. 

Admittedly, I just don’t like fully guaranteed deals. I haven’t watched the NBA since my son turned to me decades ago at a game in Charlotte one time and said “they’re not even trying!” Yup. 

It’s funny how different it is in Atlanta vs growing up in WNY, both in time and place. We had nothing but the Bills, Sabres and Braves for a few years. Atlanta does have plenty of distractions, so you need to make what you’re selling worthwhile. Growing up nobody I knew cared about college sports at all. I remember college football updates for Slippery Rock vs LeHigh and stuff like that. It was easy to not get caught up in it. And if you were trying to follow a team from somewhere else pre-internet, good luck. You were kinda stuck with the team you lived with.

10 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

There's a chance/risk that a team signing Lamar will have to give up more than money, lots of it, and picks even assuming he stays healthy season long.
Are people completely satisfied that Lamar can operate in a different, perhaps more pass heavy offence, or is he more scheme specific? The offence he has been running was designed with his unique skill set in mind by an acknowledged master. Perhaps this was the best way to maximize his performance and production. Clearly the Ravens thought so.

So does his new team either immediately or in the future have to restructure their offence to best accommodate Lamar and give him the best chance to be successful? Many HCs/OCs would be reluctant to do this.  
Lamar probably wants the opportunity to show that he can run a more "normal" up to date nfl offense. Thing is though people have had questions, rightly or wrongly, about his arm strength and, perhaps more importantly, his processing and decision making. I can't myself have a view on this because I don't see him enough but I just wonder if this might be an additional hurdle teams feel they have to clear and get comfortable with before making him an offer.

These are all genuine prudential considerations. Lots of talking heads on tv want to turn it into an obvious morality tale with NFL teams acting badly colluding against poor, super talented Lamar, but it's clearly not that simple.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I’d be incredibly surprised if any team offers him a contract. I’d actually be willing to put money on it. 

Agree. But he's not playing this year for 32MM. Ravens will either top him up or he sits out. This will just get messier and even more ridiculous I'm afraid.

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-dB8fJGrY8

Lamar Jackson is finding out how teams feel | The Jim Rome Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xApFBvUsyvs

such good pulls thank you. Yes Dan Patrick nailed it. In every aspect. And it is about timing. Every single top tier QB that comes up (Lamar is just the first,) that Watson deal is hanging over owner’s heads like the sword of Damocles. 

I mean, if I were them I’d boot the Haslems right along with Danny.

• Agree 1

Completely disagree with Jim Rome. He is calling NFL owners colluders but say he is not.

I would not as a GM, even if I was Bills GM and Josh Allen discovered medical reason why he could not play and he needed to retire, be willing to talk to him

Ravens can match contract and then they could get smaller contract than what they were willing to offer him.

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

such good pulls thank you. Yes Dan Patrick nailed it. In every aspect. And it is about timing. Every single top tier QB that comes up (Lamar is just the first,) that Watson deal is hanging over owner’s heads like the sword of Damocles. 

I mean, if I were them I’d boot the Haslems right along with Danny.

I listened to many sportscasts to select those two.

Others I listened to.

FIRST THINGS FIRST | "Lamar is DONE" - Nick Wright reacts Ravens give Lamar non-exclusive tag

I usually like Rich Eisen's show but not this one.

Rich Eisen: Why the Colts Should Roll the Dice on Lamar Jackson| The Rich Eisen Show

• Thank you (+1) 1

Rich Eisen Show did give me an idea however.  I know Jackson's phone number from a contact. 

Since Jackson does not have an agent calls need to go directly to him so spoofing him with a 317 or 463 area code number telling him Colts want him to come to Indianapolis in secret to negotiate with them about a guaranteed contract.

• Haha (+1) 1

This is a nightmare for the Ravens.  No team is going to trade for him, he won't accept a contract that isn't 5-years and $250M and he probably will sit out half the season.  Again I wonder if they could have locked him up right after the Bills gave Josh his new contract and avoided all this?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

This is a nightmare for the Ravens.  No team is going to trade for him, he won't accept a contract that isn't 5-years and $250M and he probably will sit out half the season.  Again I wonder if they could have locked him up right after the Bills gave Josh his new contract and avoided all this?

They tried and he turned down a contract that was bigger than Josh's. He "bet on himself." And as soon as Deshawn Watson got that huge deal from Mr. Truckstop, Lamar and his mom have been fixated on getting more than that. The strategy really doesn't go much deeper than that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

They tried and he turned down a contract that was bigger than Josh's. He "bet on himself." And as soon as Deshawn Watson got that huge deal from Mr. Truckstop, Lamar and his mom have been fixated on getting more than that. The strategy really doesn't go much deeper than that.

I didn't hear about that part.  I guess the Ravens tried.

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Agreed.  This is all on Lamar imo and his idiotic move to not have a agent and his momma as his advisor.  An analyst brought up a good point yesterday, think about how many millions Lamar has already cost himself the last few years by going the route he is going?  He can never get that money back as it's in the past now

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, wppete said:

I’m starting to think no other team gives up 2 first round picks and $200 million plus guaranteed for Lamar. He either is back with Baltimore or he sits out.  

We really have no way of knowing what is going on. There is no agent to leak things to Shefty. Maybe Lamar will throw us all a bone with a cryptic tweet.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.