Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

Here's the thing... Who leaks those stories about Lamar supposedly turning down huge guaranteed $$ offers?

Lamar doesn't benefit because it makes him look unreasonable and probably drives off potential suitors (if he turned down $200 million guaranteed already then we're definitely out...)

Ravens benefit, IMO, because they look like they have been totally reasonable with Lamar AND they drive off any potential other teams, leaving Lamar with no option but to come back to them for whatever $$ they are willing to pay. And IF in the unlikely event some other team signs him to a huge deal they will look like they did everything possible to keep him for the PR spin. 

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

Lamar and his mom were really fixated on not giving up that 3% during the draft process. And by this point, he's been so public about this that he cannot really back down. I think that it's cost him a lot more than 3%, but what do I know?

Worked out for Roquon Smith within the same organization…

🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Just keep playing on the tags then 😂

He could maybe negotiate a 2 year, $100 million deal, all guaranteed. It would make the franchise tag after a huge $$, basically guaranteeing him $150 million in 3 years. 

What if the real issue is that he just doesn't want to play in Baltimore? You can't come out and say that as a QB, but if you're the victim of an unfair team then people get it and fans will be angry at the Ravens instead of Lamar if he leaves. 

Thus all these stories being leaked that the Ravens offered Lamar the moon and stars and he turned it down or just wouldn't answer/engage with them (and Lamar mocking the stories on Twitter). 

Edited by TheFunPolice

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

Lamar and his mom were really fixated on not giving up that 3% during the draft process. And by this point, he's been so public about this that he cannot really back down. I think that it's cost him a lot more than 3%, but what do I know?

He's an MVP, he's an electric game-changing QB.

He is on no commercials. He is on no billboards. He has minimal endorsements, and he and his mom are not good at finding that part of the business. Folks are assuming that is why he wants a deal like Watson's, since both are relying on football for all of their money (Watson isnt getting any endorsements anytime soon either).

He has left SOOOO much money on the table by not having a professional, well-connected agent. He'd be swimming in dough, and his brand would be booming, if he signed with someone like Rosenhaus. So much more than the 3% he saved upfront. Dumb, dumb moves.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Here's the thing... Who leaks those stories about Lamar supposedly turning down huge guaranteed $$ offers?

Lamar doesn't benefit because it makes him look unreasonable and probably drives off potential suitors (if he turned down $200 million guaranteed already then we're definitely out...)

Ravens benefit, IMO, because they look like they have been totally reasonable with Lamar AND they drive off any potential other teams, leaving Lamar with no option but to come back to them for whatever $$ they are willing to pay. And IF in the unlikely event some other team signs him to a huge deal they will look like they did everything possible to keep him for the PR spin. 

The offers, from what have been reported, look absolutely reasonable. It’s business. Both sides want to see them get maximum value from their target area/price. Some times you got to give a little… Something Lamar seems totally unwilling to do. Definitely don’t agree with it but again like the previous post, the reasons are understandable as to why he’s being so stubborn. 

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

He is on no commercials. He is on no billboards. He has minimal endorsements, and he and his mom are not good at finding that part of the business. Folks are assuming that is why he wants a deal like Watson's, since both are relying on football for all of their money (Watson isnt getting any endorsements anytime soon either).

He has left SOOOO much money on the table by not having a professional, well-connected agent. He'd be swimming in dough, and his brand would be booming, if he signed with someone like Rosenhaus. So much more than the 3% he saved upfront. Dumb, dumb moves.

Networking more often than not is #1. There can be isolated cases but these connections bring more than just a playing contract. Rose hay’s is a perfect example you reference. 👍

5 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

The Ravens leak them. Everyone knows where they are coming from because it's either the team or the agent, and Lamar doesnt have an agent. He just pops off directly on twitter. He doesnt have an agent playing the other side of the game against the team.

This isnt a secret or a trick.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BBFL said:

The offers, from what have been reported, look absolutely reasonable. It’s business. Both sides want to see them get maximum value from their target area/price. Some times you got to give a little… Something Lamar seems totally unwilling to do. Definitely don’t agree with it but again like the previous post, the reasons are understandable as to why he’s being so stubborn. 

Which makes me think he wants to play somewhere else but doesn't want to come out and say that. A franchise QB coming out and saying "I want out of here" is a total heel turn type move that not even Rodgers is doing. Even he (Rodgers) has been framing it as a "mutual decision" and based on where the Packers are.

"Lamar forced his way out of Baltimore when they bent over backwards to accommodate him, even building an entire offense around his skillset so he could succeed " vs "the Ravens refused to pay Lamar what he is worth so he had to go somewhere else to get what he has earned" are 2 totally different PR spins

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

4pm TODAY, the window opens for other teams to start talking with Lamar. We'll see how it goes...

So with the clock ticking in this saga what team/s do you think, if any, send an offer Lamar’s way?

Commanders?

Snyder’s big F.U. pièce de résistance To the NFL? Won’t have to pay the contract if he’s phased out. 

Edited by BBFL

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

It’s my understanding from the NFL that some agents and these big deals will go at 1%. He certainly could have and still could say  I’m giving 1% and that’s it. I’m sure an agent would take it. But his arrogance and hubris of showing how much he’s been offered ,as why he doesn’t need an agent makes no sense. It’s unfortunate he’s taken this position. But to me it signals a lack of big picture understanding in his role as a team leader. Feeling fortunate the Bills have JA and not just for his on field ability. 

Edited by QLBillsFan

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I believe that Gronk made more money in endorsements than salary, Mahomes likely is in a similar boat. Jackson might want to do the other stuff but 3% of even 300 million is not as much as he could make otherwise easily. 

• Like (+1) 1

LAMAR JACKSONQB, BALTIMORE RAVENS

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Ravens have been "involved in the free agent quarterback market." 

"The Ravens, who face uncertainty around Lamar Jackson's future, have been involved in the free agent quarterback market," was Fowler's exact report. "(They have looked) into options such as Baker Mayfield and Jacoby Brissett before they signed with Tampa and Washington, per league sources. Baltimore appears to be looking for flexibility." That's a spicy meatball, though it's still not a sign in and of itself they expect to be without Jackson for 2023. They could just be looking for a more reliable backup after Tyler Huntley took a major step back in 2022. It is still intriguing with Jackson and the Ravens clearly at contract loggerheads. 

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/710/lamar-jackson

At some point Lamar is going to force the Raven's hand.  Wasn't the last offer $44mm a year for three years fully guaranteed?  That's a legit offer from the Ravens.  If Lamar won't agree to a market value contract the Ravens are going to have to start looking at other long term options.

5 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

At some point Lamar is going to force the Raven's hand.  Wasn't the last offer $44mm a year for three years fully guaranteed?  That's a legit offer from the Ravens.  If Lamar won't agree to a market value contract the Ravens are going to have to start looking at other long term options.

If I'm Baltimore and Lamar leaves, I'm taking my two 1sts, rolling through this season with Huntly, and going into the next draft with two 1sts ready to move up and get a QB.

They're in a position to just chill and wait now.

Worst case is Lamar doesnt get any offers he likes and plays on the tag this year. He's dumb enough to do it.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If I'm Baltimore and Lamar leaves, I'm taking my two 1sts, rolling through this season with Huntly, and going into the next draft with two 1sts ready to move up and get a QB.

They're in a position to just chill and wait now.

Worst case is Lamar doesnt get any offers he likes and plays on the tag this year. He's dumb enough to do it.

I’d be incredibly surprised if any team offers him a contract. I’d actually be willing to put money on it. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I’d be incredibly surprised if any team offers him a contract. I’d actually be willing to put money on it. 

He wants a ridiculous top dollar fully guaranteed contract AND you have to give up a couple first round picks? That’s a painful double whammy, and I think you are correct. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

He wants a ridiculous top dollar fully guaranteed contract AND you have to give up a couple first round picks? That’s a painful double whammy, and I think you are correct. 

I  wonder if he’s willing to offer a team concessions if he gets hurt?  I doubt it but it could make the contract more palatable. 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I dont think many teams would do it, but it just takes one.

Tell me Blank wouldnt do it. The city would be instantly electrified for the season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.