Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

35 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Giving out guarantees at signing for up to 3 seasons seems to be the generally accepted limit. Cousins got a fully guaranteed contract - but it was only 3 seasons. I believe that only Cleveland went beyond that to 5.

You are correct on Cousins are 3 year 💯.. but yes 3 has been the max until the Watson deal. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

The longer this goes on, the more the Ravens better hope someone with a top 10 pick signs him to an offer sheet or they will be going into next season with 2TD Huntley

I don’t think so. If Lamar didn’t sign the tag and sits out the season then he wouldn’t get an accrued season right? Which means the Ravens can just do it again next year. Lamar’s value goes down if that happens. 

Personally I don’t think he is worth what he apparently wants but I think his best bet is to play, completely ball out with this new OC, stay healthy, and at least win a playoff game. If he does that then I think Lamar would hold the cards and at least get close to what he wants from somebody. 

i don’t think the guy is a good enough passer for that contract. I do however like him. I think he is a good guy and also a very exciting player to watch. So, I hope he does just that… play, prove me wrong, and get the deal of his dreams. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/11/2023 at 10:54 AM, BillMafia716ix said:

Lamar messed up playing this past season I would have sat out. But it’s wild that so many QB needy teams would rather gamble with a rookie QB than sign a proven winner in the prime of his career. 

It would be more of a gamble than DeShaun Watson was for the Browns considering Lamar runs a lot more.  Two first round picks and at least 230 million guaranteed over five years is quite the price.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It would be more of a gamble than DeShaun Watson was for the Browns considering Lamar runs a lot more.  Two first round picks and at least 230 million guaranteed over five years is quite the price.

sure, but doesn’t Watson’s off the field history also make him a ridiculous gamble for the Browns? Yes, if Watson does something similar again (allegedly), the Browns most likely would not be on the hook to pay him out (because he’ll be suspended or outright banned from the league). But they would still be back at square one, with no QB, and having F*ed the market up, for nothing. Honestly I hope that happens. 

8 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

sure, but doesn’t Watson’s off the field history also make him a ridiculous gamble for the Browns? Yes, if Watson does something similar again (allegedly), the Browns most likely would not be on the hook to pay him out (because he’ll be suspended or outright banned from the league). But they would still be back at square one, with no QB, and having F*ed the market up, for nothing. Honestly I hope that happens. 

Both are/would be huge gambles but like you said the offsetting language in Watson's contract makes it slightly less risky imo.  Watson played three straight seasons in Houston without missing a game due to injury before demanding a trade.  Good massage therapists I guess.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Augie said:

Fair enough, I trusted what I’ve read in numerous places. It looks like 11, and not 15.  It’s still a lot. A guy who misses 5-6 games in each of the most recent seasons is not a guy I want to give 100% guaranteed money to. I’ll admit, I don’t even want JOSH to be fully guaranteed, but that’s a personal thing.

Lamar has bad timing. Missing five games a year for a couple seasons, especially considering his size and style of game, is concerning. It’s also curious that there was mystery surrounding his injury and return late last year.

Good representation helps deal with the image factor. His Mommy is doing him no favors. There should have been a better message regarding his status last season, instead of letting his status and availability for the playoffs to be questioned. Was it injury…..or the contract that kept him out? Nobody should have to wonder that. It’s a bad look. 

I don’t hate the player, but I hate fully guaranteed deals with guys who may not be there to earn the checks. I feel badly for him, because I feel he needs better advice. 

I totally agree. On Facebook I've answered numerous memes that are saying he deserves 100% guarantees that since he only played about 70% of the games, the maximum guarantee should not be greater than 70%.  Personally, I think he's very talented, but since the best ability is availability, I would hate to be with a team that is going to pay him all the money he'll end up getting.  Until proven otherwise, his team cannot count on him playing more than 70% of their games.  That's just not good enough for a franchise QB.   

• Like (+1) 1

Who wants to give a highly guaranteed deal to some guy who had been largely hurt for 2 straight years and gets hit constantly and is a run first guy? Zero takers on that Lamar! His ego is self restricting his own value. Every year his value will go down because every year he gets older and farther away from his MVP year and it’s quite likely he will have more leg injuries. He’s blowing it and I will bet he will become a cautionary tale of what not to do. He thinks he is standing up for his rights because he doesn’t want an agent getting a slice but in reality it’s all about ego and not wanting someone to tell him what I just said. He needs to get the long term big money deal while he still can. 

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

And he should have taken it, the money he stood to “lose” by signing early, was/would have been easily made up in the time value of the money.  Had he signed them and had a reasonable investor take his signing bonus to make him money, he’d be up 50-100% on that right now and be looking at another handful of restructures that hand him more bags of cash.  Instead he tried to maximize the per year cash and waited, it was a stupid gamble and he’s cost himself a fortune, then got hung up on an outlier contract that he again needs to move on from because he now has exactly zero leverage and is going to play for less than he should even in his prime negotiation phase.   Lesson to the youngsters, if you wouldn’t hire your mom to be you surgeon if she wasn’t one, you shouldn’t be hiring her as an agent if she wasn’t one.  Ego and emotion have cost the man millions if not hundreds of millions at this point.

Josh has already grossed about $42 million more than Lamar the last 2 years.  At the time Josh signed Lamar was not missing games like he has the last 2 years.  No matter what he signs for, he won't make up for the fact he could have already pocketed a lot more by now with an agent.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Josh has already grossed about $42 million more than Lamar the last 2 years.  At the time Josh signed Lamar was not missing games like he has the last 2 years.  No matter what he signs for, he won't make up for the fact he could have already pocketed a lot more by now with an agent.  

Exactly 

14 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

What's he done since the MVP year? I think 33 TD passes compared to Josh Allen who has 71.

Lamar:

59 passing TDs and 12 rushing TDs in his last 39 games (3 seasons). Total TD ratio of 1.8 per game 

7881 yards passing (202 yards per game) and 2536 rushing yards (65 yards per game) 267 total yards per game 

Josh:

108 Passing Tds and 21 Rushing TDs in his last 49 games (3 seasons) Total TD ratio of 2.6 per game 

13,234 passing yards (270 yards per game) and 1946 rushing yards (39 yards per game) 309 total yards per game 

Over 17 game season that's a difference of 714 total yards and 13.6 Tds

All that said, Lamar has plenty of shortcomings and I don't think he is the same level of player as JA or Mahommes, or Burrow even, but he is a good player and should get a very lucrative contract 

as many have said, there's really no "making up the lost money" for Lamar

He could have had 40+ million more the past 2 seasons. Whatever he gets going forward he would have had anyway, on top of that extra 40+ million.

He is getting paid pennies on the dollar so far, which sucks to see. He's sticking to his principles, which I respect, but I just want to see the man get his $$ and maybe even go the NFC

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

as many have said, there's really no "making up the lost money" for Lamar

He could have had 40+ million more the past 2 seasons. Whatever he gets going forward he would have had anyway, on top of that extra 40+ million.

He is getting paid pennies on the dollar so far, which sucks to see. He's sticking to his principles, which I respect, but I just want to see the man get his $$ and maybe even go the NFC

The sticking point becomes injuries. You have to feel that’s the only reservation Baltimore is having in fronting all of that money. On the dichotomy of the guaranteed money… Makes sense why Lamar is pushing for it. You have a QB out there who got it. You’re the cornerstone to that franchise’s current success. Who knows how long you’ll play or if you’ll ever even complete 16/17 games a season again. 

1 minute ago, BBFL said:

The sticking point becomes injuries. You have to feel that’s the only reservation Baltimore is having in fronting all of that money. On the dichotomy of the guaranteed money… Makes sense why Lamar is pushing for it. You have a QB out there who got it. You’re the cornerstone to that franchise’s current success. Who knows how long you’ll play or if you’ll ever even complete 16/17 games a season again. 

Lamar's tweet was interesting... I wonder if he would do a 3 year deal if it was 100% guaranteed? It's less total $$ but in 3 years he would be able to cash in again for even more, one would think. 

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Lamar's tweet was interesting... I wonder if he would do a 3 year deal if it was 100% guaranteed? It's less total $$ but in 3 years he would be able to cash in again for even more, one would think. 

Just keep playing on the tags then 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I like Lamar as a person...or how he presents himself to the public.  But man, he's being stupid here.

If you don't like the numbers you're being offered, get an agent.  You are obviously not doing a good enough job yourself.

Lamar and his mom were really fixated on not giving up that 3% during the draft process. And by this point, he's been so public about this that he cannot really back down. I think that it's cost him a lot more than 3%, but what do I know?

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.