Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

13 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

don’t think that was an option under the rules bud. Drafted rookies have to wait until after their 3rd season to start to negotiate a new deal (as I understand it.)

EDIT:

”Renegotiations: Rookie contracts for drafted players can't be renegotiated or altered in any way until after the last regular-season game of the third contracted year. Undrafted rookies must wait until after their second season to amend a contract. Any rookie contract that is renegotiated or extended in any way is no longer considered a rookie contract and is not restricted by the rules governing such contracts.”

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/2023-nfl-free-agency-explainer-vital-information-on-franchise-tags-contract-term

Thank you. You are right. So let me ask you this. After his third year (and his MVP) why wouldn't any agent have insisted that he not play the remaining two years of his rookie deal and risk injury that might preclude a second contract. When did Josh's new contract get done. Kyler Murray? 

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

Thank you. You are right. So let me ask you this. After his third year (and his MVP) why wouldn't any agent have insisted that he not play the remaining two years of his rookie deal and risk injury that might preclude a second contract. When did Josh's new contract get done. Kyler Murray? 

He dont have a agent. That's part of the problem. His momma is his advisor lol

5 minutes ago, Billl said:

Ravens are 45-16 with Lamar starting.  They’re 4-8 without him.  

Right and he’s the starting QB for the Ravens for $32m. Well under his value because he didn’t take offers well over that. And he’s asking for fully guaranteed $.. so he will be the starting QB for the Ravens to build on that record. Or he sits and loses more $$$. 

GMs should be more than happy to guarantee a contract to their franchise QB.  Whatever GM signs a QB to a massive contract is getting fired if he sucks irrespective of how much of the money was guaranteed.  It’s not like pissing away $130 million is fine but $180 million is grounds for termination.  If you pick the right guy, he’s worth whatever the contract is.

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Not sure what you mean about not playing out the rookie contract.  Players sign "extensions" to their rookie contracts.

Josh signed before his 4th season.  Technically this is the first year of Josh Allen's 6-year extension.

5 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I honestly don’t know why they didn’t negotiate in earnest after season 3. Maybe he rightly suspected the deals would start to get nutty if he waited another year (they did.) that could have also been a mistake on his part sure, since the more he played into that rookie deal, the more risk of injury (which also happened.) 

Edited by JoPoy88

35 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Yep. The fact that some people are arguing “well, shoulda took the $133M” is ludicrous.

Yeah so that’s an average of $44m+ with 💯 guaranteed. JA is at an average of $43m with 60% guaranteed. What a preposterous offer!!! 

Just now, Billl said:

GMs should be more than happy to guarantee a contract to their franchise QB.  Whatever GM signs a QB to a massive contract is getting fired if he sucks irrespective of how much of the money was guaranteed.  It’s not like pissing away $130 million is fine but $180 million is grounds for termination.  If you pick the right guy, he’s worth whatever the contract is.

It’s not the GMs. It’s the owners. They have to put any money guaranteed over the life of a contract into an escrow account so that’s it’s actually guaranteed. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

Unless he gets hurt frequently 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

I've said it a couple of times now, but the thing I don't get is that Lamar will see every dollar of whatever 4-6 year contract he ends up signing.  What's the big deal?

If the Ravens are that worried about a potential catastrophic injury, then both parties need to part ways.  

1 minute ago, QLBillsFan said:

Unless he gets hurt frequently 🤷🏻‍♂️

Lamar, we don’t want to pay you if you get hurt trying to win games for us.  Also, you’re a bum if you don’t risk your career by playing injured.

• Eyeroll 2

12 minutes ago, Billl said:

They’re so well run that they’re 4-8 when Lamar doesn’t play.

What is the record of other top NFL teams when the qb doesn’t play? With the exception of SF not that great. So you’re seriously basing your view of the Ravens on W-L record when their oft injured QB doesn’t play. The Ravens are a minimum top 10 franchise in the NFL by all measures. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Billl said:

Ravens are 45-16 with Lamar starting.  They’re 4-8 without him.  

1-3 in the playoffs and that's a record that just isn't going to get much better. By the time he makes it that far he is either injured or going up against teams that know his cheat code. 

10 minutes ago, Billl said:

They’re so well run that they’re 4-8 when Lamar doesn’t play.

Well, there are a dozen games he didn’t play, and he didn’t help. Most of them in the last 2 seasons. As he ages and slows, I don’t know that that will improve.  That hurts his value in my mind.   🤷‍♂️

I love the guys winning percentage, and he’s fun to watch. I’m just not going to do anything that will set a bad precedent and possibly cripple the franchise for this, however. 

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

I've said it a couple of times now, but the thing I don't get is that Lamar will see every dollar of whatever 4-6 year contract he ends up signing.  What's the big deal?

If the Ravens are that worried about a potential catastrophic injury, then both parties need to part ways.  

Basic pride/ego. He thinks “Deshawn Watson got that much and I’m better than him so I should get more.” 

3 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I honestly don’t know why they didn’t negotiate in earnest after season 3. Maybe he rightly suspected the deals would start to get nutty if he waited another year (they did.) that could have also been a mistake on his part sure, since the more he played into that rookie deal, the more risk of injury (which also happened.) 

All the reports were that right after Josh Allen signed his contract, Lamar was offered a 5-year for a little more per year money.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Not sure what you mean about not playing out the rookie contract.  Players sign "extensions" to their rookie contracts.

Josh signed before his 4th season.  Technically this is the first year of Josh Allen's 6-year extension.

Well what I meant to say was that after his third year he was potentially looking at waiting two years for a new contract (if the Ravens extended). That's when agents start agitating for a new contract assuming they are representing talents like Lamar.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Well, there are a dozen games he didn’t play, and he didn’t help. Most of them in the last 2 seasons. As he ages and slows, I don’t know that that will improve.  That hurts his value in my mind.   🤷‍♂️

I love the guys winning percentage, and he’s fun to watch. I’m just not going to do anything that will set a bad precedent and possibly cripple the franchise for this, however. 

So $133m guaranteed won’t cripple a franchise, but $180m will?

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Billl said:

Lamar, we don’t want to pay you if you get hurt trying to win games for us.  Also, you’re a bum if you don’t risk your career by playing injured.

Nobody said that. I don’t think he should play if he’s hurt. See TT and the Dolphins. The 💯 guarantee is what he’s hung up on. The team doesn’t want to be on the hook for a guy not contributing. It’s a risk at 60% but at 100 with a guy who has been injured shouldn’t be that hard to fathom. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.