Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

Also one of the highest rated QBs from inside the pocket last season without a real NFL WR Corps.

Dude is elite.  Also, where are the maturity issues? Everything I've read about him is that he is one of the best dudes in the league as a star

Maturity issues resulting in the ongoing circus now, his highly suspect injuries and not playing out last year, to me all major red flags. 

Also the man is either not very smart and/or excessively greedy.  Who in the right mind that has millions of dollars at stake is too cheap/arrogant not to get a qualified agent to help negotiate/construct the ideal contract.  So instead of netting $133 million he would only not what $130 meanwhile with a highly suspect contract that could have all sort of hidden outs for the Ravens.  Classic penny wise and pound foolish.

• Dislike 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Going on Twitter and telling an average american who's probably making less than 60K a year he just turned down 133M guaranteed is always a good thing, what could go wrong?

Nobody ever claimed him to be the brightest bulb in the pack!  Having no agent and his Momma as his advisor just further proves it

• Agree 1

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

Maturity issues resulting in the ongoing circus now, his highly suspect injuries and not playing out last year, to me all major red flags. 

Also the man is either not very smart and/or excessively greedy.  Who in the right mind that has millions of dollars at stake is too cheap/arrogant not to get a qualified agent to help negotiate/construct the ideal contract.  So instead of netting $133 million he would only not what $130 meanwhile with a highly suspect contract that could have all sort of hidden outs for the Ravens.  Classic penny wise and pound foolish.

I don't know why he isn't wanting an agent. But I can't sit here and claim maturity issues over it when all the evidence I have from the prior 4 years tells me the opposite. I also have no problem with these guys trying to maximize their own value and income. So many of these guys come from poor or troubles backgrounds, and every extra million is that much more generational wealth so that his kids and grandkids won't have to go through what he and his family did growing up. 

Also think he should be cheered for not playing injured, when there's a huge risk for his long term viability. We ask enough of these players, we don't need to be asking that of them

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, appoo said:

There's a huge collusion whiff coming from LJ and the Owners that has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with that insanely stupid contract the Browns paid for Watson. 

The NFL Owners believe building on that contract would break the Salary Cap as its currently structured - they're probably not wrong either - but if they are collectively black balling Lamar because they don't want to pay any QB more than what Watson got, that's really unfair to LJ, who's done nothing but earn being a top 5 QB, after being told he should be a WR coming into the draft.

How are they blackballing Lamar if the owners have legitimate business reasons for not giving him the contract he wants? I mean maybe they just don't think he's worth that. If Lamar's camp starts alleging collusion, it will not be a good look imo. Just sour grapes. 

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

How are they blackballing Lamar if the owners have legitimate business reasons for not giving him the contract he wants? I mean maybe they just don't think he's worth that. If Lamar's camp starts alleging collusion, it will not be a good look imo. Just sour grapes. 

He's an MVP caliber QB at 25 and no one is even talking to him, allegedly? That's not normal. They're making an object lesson of him

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, appoo said:

I don't know why he isn't wanting an agent. But I can't sit here and claim maturity issues over it when all the evidence I have from the prior 4 years tells me the opposite. I also have no problem with these guys trying to maximize their own value and income. So many of these guys come from poor or troubles backgrounds, and every extra million is that much more generational wealth so that his kids and grandkids won't have to go through what he and his family did growing up. 

Also think he should be cheered for not playing injured, when there's a huge risk for his long term viability. We ask enough of these players, we don't need to be asking that of them

And should he be cheered for not even being on the sidelines in the playoff game when the backup who hero worships him and was banged up himself had to play? 

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

He's an MVP caliber QB at 25 and no one is even talking to him, allegedly? That's not normal. They're making an object lesson of him

Oh, maybe as many as six or seven teams may talk to him. It's just that they may well not feel that it's in their best interests to meet his demands. 

1 hour ago, appoo said:

What's he done since the MVP year? I think 33 TD passes compared to Josh Allen who has 71.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, appoo said:

The Roman offense made Taylor and Kaepernick pro bowl QB's. After his rookie year teams figured him out. He is injured frequently. He is erratic in social media. He is Vick in an era with much better athleticism. You can certainly do worse. Vick, at his peak, lost in the NFC championship. But the maturity in Vick prior to the arrest was poor and the same thing goes for Lamar. I would MUCH rather play the the game of find me a QB and risk the fail, then subject my team to wild card purgatory for a fortune. 

43 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

What's he done since the MVP year? I think 31 TD passes compared to Josh Allen who has 64.

That’s a combination of ability, surrounding offensive parts and availability. He might have more impressive numbers if he hadn’t missed 15 games in the last two seasons. We’ll never know, however, since HE DID MISS 15 GAMES in the last two seasons. Sorry, that does not scream “fully guaranteed money is a good idea” to me. 

Josh is the better QB, and he has the physical build and determined mindset to remain available to his team. I hope we put him at risk less often next year, because it’s the NFL. Absolutely NOBODY is immune to that controlled violence. I’ve been told the human body is not meant to play the game.  😋

• Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

That’s a combination of ability, surrounding offensive parts and availability. He might have more impressive numbers if he hadn’t missed 15 games in the last two seasons. We’ll never know, however, since HE DID MISS 15 GAMES in the last two seasons. Sorry, that does not scream “fully guaranteed money is a good idea” to me. 

Josh is the better QB, and he has the physical build and determined mindset to remain available to his team. I hope we put him at risk less often next year, because it’s the NFL. Absolutely NOBODY is immune to that controlled violence. I’ve been told the human body is not meant to play the game.  😋

He missed 5 games each of the last 2 regular seasons & 1 playoff game.  That's 11 total games, not 15.  So, he did not miss 15 games. In fact he hasn't missed 15 games in his entire 5 year NFL career.    

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Nothing beyond league MVP and leading his team in rushing and passing every year.

Worth is what any team will pay for him, as simple as that.

You are correct, he is oft injured and a maturity issue.  If he persists in insisting on being a Raven and the highest paid QB, then no team will likely bend to his wishes.

Lot of good points. MVP is like a snapshot in time. Is he currently on a trajectory for MVP seasons in the future? A good QB I won’t argue. Essentially it’s about value and I think we agree on it.

1 hour ago, appoo said:

Nice try! JA was from the same draft class. I think an argument could have been made when JA signed his deal, they were both in the same range for a contract. Since, JA used an agent and signed his first big deal- now looking like a Bills bargain. He believed this is the right place for him.
LJ, no agent, somewhat inconsistent with a few injuries. Apparently not on the same page as the Ravens. A team well respected in the game. Who built an O around him. He has rewarded them by not signing what appears to have been excellent offers. Although not completely idiotic like the Browns. This is where those who follow the NFL suggest the Ravens are getting it right. Value vs reward. Clearly the Ravens and NFL don’t feel he’s worth it. And it’s speculative that if a team creates a deal for LJ and the Ravens match they are out of luck. That team is then not in a good position for other moves in FA. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He missed 5 games each of the last 2 regular seasons & 1 playoff game.  That's 11 total games, not 15.  So, he did not miss 15 games. In fact he hasn't missed 15 games in his entire 5 year NFL career.    

Fair enough, I trusted what I’ve read in numerous places. It looks like 11, and not 15.  It’s still a lot. A guy who misses 5-6 games in each of the most recent seasons is not a guy I want to give 100% guaranteed money to. I’ll admit, I don’t even want JOSH to be fully guaranteed, but that’s a personal thing.

Lamar has bad timing. Missing five games a year for a couple seasons, especially considering his size and style of game, is concerning. It’s also curious that there was mystery surrounding his injury and return late last year.

Good representation helps deal with the image factor. His Mommy is doing him no favors. There should have been a better message regarding his status last season, instead of letting his status and availability for the playoffs to be questioned. Was it injury…..or the contract that kept him out? Nobody should have to wonder that. It’s a bad look. 

I don’t hate the player, but I hate fully guaranteed deals with guys who may not be there to earn the checks. I feel badly for him, because I feel he needs better advice. 

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, appoo said:

There's a huge collusion whiff coming from LJ and the Owners that has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with that insanely stupid contract the Browns paid for Watson. 

The NFL Owners believe building on that contract would break the Salary Cap as its currently structured - they're probably not wrong either - but if they are collectively black balling Lamar because they don't want to pay any QB more than what Watson got, that's really unfair to LJ, who's done nothing but earn being a top 5 QB, after being told he should be a WR coming into the draft.

Like, LJ is the kind of person you WANT being the face of the league. 

Young, Charismatic, the local population absolutely loves him as a human being, philanthropic minded, personable, funny, and a truly special athlete and QB. They're picking on the wrong dude here. He's essentially the opposite of Jay Cutler

that’s basically it. Is Jackson probably overvaluing himself? Sure. He’s far from the only one. Not a knock against him.

I hit on it earlier in the thread and you just reiterated it - Jackson is in the crosshairs simply because the owners are adamant against reinforcing the precedent set by Cleveland. Doing another deal similar to that completely opens the floodgates as it relates to top-tier QBs. Jackson’s timing couldn’t be worse, in simpler terms. 

He seems quite willing to stick to his guns however, so good for him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Billl said:

Something about Lamar Jackson makes people lose their minds.  In no universe is he worth less than Daniel Jones, Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins, etc.  

Yep. The fact that some people are arguing “well, shoulda took the $133M” is ludicrous.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Billl said:

Something about Lamar Jackson makes people lose their minds.  In no universe is he worth less than Daniel Jones, Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins, etc.  

He was offered a fair contract that seemed to be in line with his peers. It wasn’t good enough, because it wasn’t fully guaranteed. THAT is the problem. Does he deserve a better deal than Josh or Mahomes? I think not. Deshaun Watson is a dirt bag and Jimmy Halsey is an idiot and bad for the league. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

He was offered a fair contract that seemed to be in line with his peers. It wasn’t good enough, because it wasn’t fully guaranteed. THAT is the problem. Does he deserve a better deal than Josh or Mahomes? I think not. Deshaun Watson is a dirt bag and Jimmy Halsey is an idiot and bad for the league. 

He was offered a borderline top 10 contract that would have been well below market.

30 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He also missed this last season’s playoff game.  Missing the end of 2 seasons and the playoffs might not be a trend but it’s enough to give teams pause on a long-term fully-guaranteed contract, much less surrendering 2-1st rounders. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.