Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

3 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Lamar messed up playing this past season I would have sat out. But it’s wild that so many QB needy teams would rather gamble with a rookie QB than sign a proven winner in the prime of his career. 

You think he would have strengthened his "I want a fully guaranteed contract" position by sitting out last season after missing the last 5 games plus at least 1 playoff game of the previous season?  He had no idea he'd get injured again and miss the same number of games again.  All of which in addition to having to give up 2-1st round picks are making teams shy away from trying to acquire him.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Lamar messed up playing this past season I would have sat out. But it’s wild that so many QB needy teams would rather gamble with a rookie QB than sign a proven winner in the prime of his career. 

He’s on a well coached team that schemed for him he hasn’t won big playoff games and is injury prone - he botched this deal and should fire his agent because he cost himself a lot of money I think he gets less cash now and if plays on franchise I could see it going worse 

2 hours ago, mikemac2001 said:

He’s on a well coached team that schemed for him he hasn’t won big playoff games and is injury prone - he botched this deal and should fire his agent because he cost himself a lot of money I think he gets less cash now and if plays on franchise I could see it going worse 

His agent is his mom.

7 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Turned down Ravens offer of 3 years $133 million fully guaranteed. 

Does his tweet mean that, or that he might want that or maybe had just agreed to that deal?  The way it came off I thought he was saying that to refute the false claims of what he wanted or may have turned down.  But I didn’t look at it closely either cuz I don’t really care about his contract situation.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Does his tweet mean that, or that he might want that or maybe had just agreed to that deal?  The way it came off I thought he was saying that to refute the false claims of what he wanted or may have turned down.  But I didn’t look at it closely either cuz I don’t really care about his contract situation.  

Going on Twitter and telling an average american who's probably making less than 60K a year he just turned down 133M guaranteed is always a good thing, what could go wrong?

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 3/9/2023 at 3:43 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Stafford has 130,000,000 guaranteed reasons to come back tho :thumbsup:

It's a worse deal than paying Lamar $270M fully guaranteed imo because of how old and beat up Stafford was when they signed it. Lamar has been injured, but at least he should  have 5 more years playing ahead of him. Stafford barely had 5 months left.

Rams are screwed with Stafford.  Won 3 games out of 9 last year (10 TDs, 9 INTs)....then got injured.

• Agree 1

On 3/11/2023 at 7:54 AM, BillMafia716ix said:

What has he proven for a guarantee $133M 3 year deal? He continues to refuse to get an agent even though he brags about this offer he turned down.  He wants more than that! His value isn’t worth his ask. And he’s demonstrating a huge self awareness maturity issue. And he’s getting the same result. No contract. For an oft injured 1-3 playoff qb that has to have an O created around his skill set. He’s a good qb (8-12) but many going back to his draft year aren’t convinced he’s a SB qb. 

17 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

Can’t recall where I read it but Lamar may sit out this year and not sign the tag-if that’s possible. 

what happens to his value then?  I would think it tanks.  I mean has sitting out ever actually worked?  

I have no idea if sitting out ever worked, but his value isn't going to tank.

He'll be snatched up by someone, for big bucks, when he becomes available.

He's clearly done in Baltimore.

• Disagree 1

Just now, Behindenemylines said:

Can’t recall where I read it but Lamar may sit out this year and not sign the tag-if that’s possible. 

what happens to his value then?  I would think it tanks.  I mean has sitting out ever actually worked?  

Not sure, but I don't think it would help in terms of value. Not 100% sure, but doesn't agent(s) normally advise against sitting out a year in these type situations? Considering he doesn't have an agent though, curious how it ends up if he hurts himself much more than help himself with this.

25 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

What has he proven for a guarantee $133M 3 year deal? He continues to refuse to get an agent even though he brags about this offer he turned down.  He wants more than that! His value isn’t worth his ask. And he’s demonstrating a huge self awareness maturity issue. And he’s getting the same result. No contract. For an oft injured 1-3 playoff qb that has to have an O created around his skill set. He’s a good qb (8-12) but many going back to his draft year aren’t convinced he’s a SB qb. 

Nothing beyond league MVP and leading his team in rushing and passing every year.

Worth is what any team will pay for him, as simple as that.

You are correct, he is oft injured and a maturity issue.  If he persists in insisting on being a Raven and the highest paid QB, then no team will likely bend to his wishes.

• Like (+1) 2

I wonder what happens when later this afternoon nobody beats a path to his door ready to give him whatever he wants. So maybe he signs the franchise tag and stays in Baltimore. I don't think sitting out the year is in his best interests. 
I think maybe his MVP went to his head. 

7 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Nothing beyond league MVP and leading his team in rushing and passing every year.

Worth is what any team will pay for him, as simple as that.

You are correct, he is oft injured and a maturity issue.  If he persists in insisting on being a Raven and the highest paid QB, then no team will likely bend to his wishes.

Also one of the highest rated QBs from inside the pocket last season without a real NFL WR Corps.

Dude is elite.  Also, where are the maturity issues? Everything I've read about him is that he is one of the best dudes in the league as a star

Edited by appoo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

Even though he got paid the year he sat out, it worked for Watson.  

8 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I wonder what happens when later this afternoon nobody beats a path to his door ready to give him whatever he wants. So maybe he signs the franchise tag and stays in Baltimore. I don't think sitting out the year is in his best interests. 
I think maybe his MVP went to his head. 

There's a huge collusion whiff coming from LJ and the Owners that has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with that insanely stupid contract the Browns paid for Watson. 

The NFL Owners believe building on that contract would break the Salary Cap as its currently structured - they're probably not wrong either - but if they are collectively black balling Lamar because they don't want to pay any QB more than what Watson got, that's really unfair to LJ, who's done nothing but earn being a top 5 QB, after being told he should be a WR coming into the draft.

Like, LJ is the kind of person you WANT being the face of the league. 

Young, Charismatic, the local population absolutely loves him as a human being, philanthropic minded, personable, funny, and a truly special athlete and QB. They're picking on the wrong dude here. He's essentially the opposite of Jay Cutler

Edited by appoo
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.