Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

They're talking about Rodgers on NFLN right now.  Rodgers just said, "I'll make a decision soon enough".

The guy is so full of himself.  As to his contract and future I hope it messes up the Packers, so others won't follow suit.

It is odd that those are the 2 guys with fully guaranteed QB contracts. One can't decide if he even wants to play, or where, or for how long, and obviously the other comes with serious off the field issues. 

If I'm Burrow I'm asking "where's my guaranteed contract?" 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BayBuck said:

I really don't think one guaranteed contract from one of the worst-run franchises in professional sports will become a binding precedent for all major QB negotiations going forward.  Agents (or QB moms) are free to ask for whatever they want, but I expect the Watson contract will prove to be an outlier (if not an outright cautionary tale).

Yes every team is hoping that every agent forgot. You can’t un-ring that bell. And the fact that THE worst guy got the first guaranteed deal is the straw that broke the back.

Lamar is a talented QB but he’s a franchise leader who gives back to his community. He’s worth more than Watson in PR alone and he knows it. It’s not his fault the market got reset. The cost of eggs is $8 a dozen and QB contracts are guaranteed.

• Agree 3

On 2/23/2023 at 3:29 PM, first_and_ten said:

Plus I'm sure Josh will renegotiate to create cap room 

Well gotta consider that Josh took his bonus money and invested it into his family's farm to plant a orchard of pistachio trees that once bearing nuts should be giving his family a yearly 6 million or so in produce to sell at today's prices give or take.  It really depends on the individual.  So yes Josh planned with his windfall of cash to set his family up to reap benefits going forward independent of his football skills.  So when he decides to call it a career he still has a nice bit of coin coming in from his farming endeavors. 

On 3/1/2023 at 3:51 PM, TheFunPolice said:

It is odd that those are the 2 guys with fully guaranteed QB contracts. One can't decide if he even wants to play, or where, or for how long, and obviously the other comes with serious off the field issues. 

There some QB I wouldn’t mind paying a guaranteed contract too… Allen mahomes burrow. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

wth is this tweet about?

I originally thought this was Lamar Jackson's tweet. My mistake.

Someones idea of a bad joke. 

(I deleted it on twitter )

Edited by Figster
  • Haha (+1) 1

1.  He’s out of his mind if he thinks he can bully a well run organization like Baltimore.

2. He’s just trying to force his way out,

amd making unreasonable demands as he wants to go to Miami or another destination which would be stupid as Baltimore built their offense around Lamar’s skills.

Even if he made it to Miami, will he be exposed not being able to throw accurately outside the hashes to Hill and Waddle.  I’m not saying he’s not a good QB, just has some limitations as opposed to Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, and Burrow.  When Harbaugh tried to make him into a pocket passer, Lamar had the 32nd ranked passing attack in the NFL.

3.  The obvious point is he needs an agent from a major firm. To think he, his mom, and the NFLPA, can do better than what a top notch firm can do to save the 2% in agent fees is dumb and wreckless.

Bottom line is he’s not getting a fully guaranteed contract.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

1.  He’s out of his mind if he thinks he can bully a well run organization like Baltimore.

2. He’s just trying to force his way out,

amd making unreasonable demands as he wants to go to Miami or another destination which would be stupid as Baltimore built their offense around Lamar’s skills.

Even if he made it to Miami, will he be exposed not being able to throw accurately outside the hashes to Hill and Waddle.  I’m not saying he’s not a good QB, just has some limitations as opposed to Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, and Burrow.  When Harbaugh tried to make him into a pocket passer, Lamar had the 32nd ranked passing attack in the NFL.

3.  The obvious point is he needs an agent from a major firm. To think he, his mom, and the NFLPA, can do better than what a top notch firm can do to save the 2% in agent fees is dumb and wreckless.

Bottom line is he’s not getting a fully guaranteed contract.

I'm not sure how much an agent will help when he's demanding a fully-guaranteed contract and won't budge.  

https://theathletic.com/4277824/2023/03/06/ravens-lamar-jackson-franchise-tag-free-agency/?amp=1

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/cap/

Good article on the whole Ravens situation. I also linked their cap numbers from Spotrac because the article only talks in general terms. The big take away is that the difference between the non-exclusive and exclusive franchise tags for Lamar is about $13 million ($32M & $45M). They’ve got $25M in space now and they could get to $32M with only a little pain, but getting to $45M will cut a lot deeper. They are going to lose some good players if they have to do that.

I used to think the Ravens were a well run organization, but then that NFLPA report came out and a bunch of current and former Ravens started dunking on the team on social media. they seemed more than happy to embarrass the Ravens organization. 

Reading between the lines, this whole Lamar deal is Lamar trying to force his way out, for whatever reason. 

On 3/1/2023 at 4:51 PM, TheFunPolice said:

If I’m Cincinnati, I tell My QB that is fine we will just have to trade/cut most of your protection and weapons to afford it, balls in your court Joe…, 

10 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

If I’m Cincinnati, I tell My QB that is fine we will just have to trade/cut most of your protection and weapons to afford it, balls in your court Joe…, 

Great point. One one hand I get guys maximizing their value. On the other, there's a limit.

Would a QB like Burrow or Lamar accept a 5 year $200 million contract if it was 100% guaranteed, rather than a longer term, higher $$ deal without as much guaranteed? 

On 2/28/2023 at 5:28 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agreed. We matched up really well against Lamar. Speedy LBs. 

Watson before all the allegations was a top 5 qb. He was amazing playing on a crappy Houston team. But the browns giving him that much and guaranteed is so wild because he had no real leverage.

Watson looked lousy when he came back late last season.  He should be better next season.  But still QB's seem to still go to die in Cleveland.  Baker was nothing special with them.  And he was the first pick that year.  He was overdrafted.  But playing with Hue Jackson and then Freddy Kitchens as your head coach is tough.  And Stefanski hasn't done a whole lot better.  I dare say that the height of Cleveland Browns football in the modern era was their win over the Bills in the 1989 wild card game.  A game for the ages.  Maybe they should have never left Memorial Stadium even when they came back to the NFL in 1999.  LOL.

• Like (+1) 1

Ravens should put the non-exclusive tag, let Lamar go find another team's best offer, then just match it and say "see, you got top market $$"

Theoretically, could another team sign Lamar to an offer sheet that, for example, gave him a $5 million bonus for every game played in Baltimore as a poison pill to stop the Ravens from matching? 

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Watson looked lousy when he came back late last season.  He should be better next season.  But still QB's seem to still go to die in Cleveland.  Baker was nothing special with them.  And he was the first pick that year.  He was overdrafted.  But playing with Hue Jackson and then Freddy Kitchens as your head coach is tough.  And Stefanski hasn't done a whole lot better.  I dare say that the height of Cleveland Browns football in the modern era was their win over the Bills in the 1989 wild card game.  A game for the ages.  Maybe they should have never left Memorial Stadium even when they came back to the NFL in 1999.  LOL.

Pretty sure beating the hated Steelers in the 2020 playoffs ranks higher for Browns fans …

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.