Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

22 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Huntley has gone 3-5, thrown 3 tds to 5 ints the last 2 years. Lamar has went 15-9, thrown 33 tds to 20 ints. Dumb take.

Even dumber is Lamar almost has thrown for more tds in his mvp season than Jones has thrown in his whole career. In Jones’ “breakout” season, Lamar threw for tds than Jones did in 12 games. Awful, awful comparisons.

Why do you keep going back to the Jones comparison? I explained that mentioning them together was to say they both don’t warrant monster contracts. The Huntley reference was just to annoy you and it worked fine genius. Who cares how many TDs Lamar threw for. He’s hurt all the time and didn’t want to be on the field when it counted. Stop making arguments for him when his own team clearly knows his value.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Huntley has gone 3-5, thrown 3 tds to 5 ints the last 2 years. Lamar has went 15-9, thrown 33 tds to 20 ints. Dumb take.

Even dumber is Lamar almost has thrown for more tds in his mvp season than Jones has thrown in his whole career. In Jones’ “breakout” season, Lamar threw for tds than Jones did in 12 games. Awful, awful comparisons.

All true but the bottom line is Lamar has been in the league for 5 years and he is 1-3 in the playoffs with a 57% completion record and

has 3 TDs and 5 INTs with 19 sacks and 5 fumbles.

If he was a Bill, this board would be all over that.  His stock is down because of things like this, not an MVP season.

• Agree 2

On 2/23/2023 at 3:07 PM, SCBills said:

Why would any team do this? I mean I know someone will, but he has had knee issues the last 2 years and he left his team out in the lurch this year when they needed him. I wouldn’t want him on my team because IMO he is looking for a ton guarantee money because he knows his knees are close to done and his career is all but over.  (I could be wrong but that’s my hot take lol)

Edited by PatsFanNH

58 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

All true but the bottom line is Lamar has been in the league for 5 years and he is 1-3 in the playoffs with a 57% completion record and

has 3 TDs and 5 INTs with 19 sacks and 5 fumbles.

If he was a Bill, this board would be all over that.  His stock is down because of things like this, not an MVP season.

Peyton manning didn’t win his first playoff game until 27. Lamar is 26. Lot of time to change things.

and his stock is “down” because he doesn’t have an agent and wants all guaranteed money. If this wasn’t the case, the Ravens would have signed him already. 

Jackson has officially proven himself an idiot.  Consider this, had Jackson been intelligent enough to take a deal like Allen’s already, he would have already had 40-50M more in his bank, with 100 more in guaranteed money locked in, potential to average 50M a year.  Instead he chose to play out 5 years on a rookie deal, trying to lock in the same money he would have gotten 2 years earlier AND the way the contracts work out, the money is almost fully guaranteed anyway because teams have to convert salary to bonus( straight cash), to free up cap space.   He would have been far better off paying an agent, but he saved Pennie’s to lose dollars.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

Why do you keep going back to the Jones comparison? I explained that mentioning them together was to say they both don’t warrant monster contracts. The Huntley reference was just to annoy you and it worked fine genius. Who cares how many TDs Lamar threw for. He’s hurt all the time and didn’t want to be on the field when it counted. Stop making arguments for him when his own team clearly knows his value.

Because you foolishly lumped him in with Jackson, who has been a much, much better player. 

and you try to annoy people you don’t online? Sounds like you have a fulfilling life. I’ll bet you Lamar ends up with a top 5 contract and way more than Daniel Jones. Wanna bet, genius (a smart person uses better punctuation)?

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

Jackson has officially proven himself an idiot.  Consider this, had Jackson been intelligent enough to take a deal like Allen’s already, he would have already had 40-50M more in his bank, with 100 more in guaranteed money locked in, potential to average 50M a year.  Instead he chose to play out 5 years on a rookie deal, trying to lock in the same money he would have gotten 2 years earlier AND the way the contracts work out, the money is almost fully guaranteed anyway because teams have to convert salary to bonus( straight cash), to free up cap space.   He would have been far better off paying an agent, but he saved Pennie’s to lose dollars.

So if ends up getting what he wants, is he still an idiot? 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Because you foolishly lumped him in with Jackson, who has been a much, much better player. 

and you try to annoy people you don’t online? Sounds like you have a fulfilling life. I’ll bet you Lamar ends up with a top 5 contract and way more than Daniel Jones. Wanna bet, genius (a smart person uses better punctuation)?

Yes.  Time value of money.  

• Like (+1) 1

It's hard for working folks to apply logic to these stratospheric QB salaries. The money is insane until the next TV deal comes along and justifies it.

If you're the Ravens you can pay your franchise QB the going rate or you can tell the fan base you'll trade him for picks and hope you land a QB in the draft who you can ride until his rookie contract runs out like Hurts and Burrow.

This Ravens team is pretty shallow after Lamar. The defense is just OK. Unless they're down for a total rebuild they need Lamar more than Lamar needs the Ravens. Harbaugh has sixteen seasons in Baltimore. How many more rebuilds is he down for? If you don't sign him you have to throw out the playbook.

Lamar asking for a better deal than Watson and refusing to renegotiate sound like he's trying to talk his way out of town.

8 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Peyton manning didn’t win his first playoff game until 27. Lamar is 26. Lot of time to change things.

and his stock is “down” because he doesn’t have an agent and wants all guaranteed money. If this wasn’t the case, the Ravens would have signed him already. 

Peyton Manning and Lamar Jackson are two pretty difference entities, no? Comparisons stop right after it’s declared both are/were NFL players. 

On 2/25/2023 at 2:42 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think he just brought up Jones because it has been reported this past week Jones wants $45mil a year or something insane like that. I don’t think he was equating Jackson to DJ.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/25/2023 at 6:44 AM, Eastport bills said:

This is indicative of how distorted the QB market has become. When Daniel Jones and Jackson feel they’re entitled to Mahomes and Allen money and ownership is willing to pay them, it proves there should be a separate cap for QBs. The cap restricts teams to fill rosters and stay competitive. With new contracts dictating the market, QBs with one solid season after a whole rookie contract of mediocrity , puts teams in cap jail if they invest in a questionable talent. For the best interests of competitive balance going forward, these monster contracts should be separated in some manner from the rest of the cap.

But look at the both the Eagles and Rams. Two teams that gave their Qb’s franchise QB deals, only to learn that those QB’s were not as advertised and yet both teams not only got out of those deals but also both made it back to the Super Bowl with a new “franchise QB” and one even won it. 

Teams can get out of them and still succeed if they are smart enough and have above average personnel skills.

And some QB’s truly are great and are worth the money. I believe Allen is one of those QB’s and in the end that will get us an advantage over the teams paying QB’s that are not truly elite.

On 2/25/2023 at 6:50 PM, stuvian said:

Lamar asking for a better deal than Watson and refusing to renegotiate sound like he's trying to talk his way out of town.

There may be a certain stubbornness to Lamar also with wanting to prove that he negotiated this record fully guaranteed deal without needing an agent.  If he gets it from the Ravens or some other team.  Good for him.  However, I already think it was incredibly stupid to even set foot on the field last season without the security of a long term deal that will set you and your family up for generations.

• Agree 1

On 2/25/2023 at 8:30 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Did you just compare Jackson to Jones? Awful. Jackson wins 70% of his games and has won a MVP. Awful, awful comparison. 

Or he was limited in a run he’s at offense with terrible receivers. 

"Did you just compare Jackson to Jones? Awful. Jackson wins 70% of his games and has won a MVP. Awful, awful comparison."

Care to comment on the Mahomes to Allen comparasion? One has two rings and MVP awards. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

But look at the both the Eagles and Rams. Two teams that gave their Qb’s franchise QB deals, only to learn that those QB’s were not as advertised and yet both teams not only got out of those deals but also both made it back to the Super Bowl with a new “franchise QB” and one even won it. 

Teams can get out of them and still succeed if they are smart enough and have above average personnel skills.

And some QB’s truly are great and are worth the money. I believe Allen is one of those QB’s and in the end that will get us an advantage over the teams paying QB’s that are not truly elite.

The problem is the skills required to extricate a team from a really bad QB contract(DeSean Jackson, Murray, Wilson) are not in the DNA of most GMs. How many GMs are ready to give up the draft capital to surround a Stafford with the personnel to get a SB and be bad for years to come? I think the idea of putting a team in purgatory because they make a decision out of desperation and destroy loyal fan bases who live and die with their fortunes is bad for the NFL. If QB contracts are partially separated from the cap it gives teams wiggle room and the owners can afford the extra overhead.

On 2/24/2023 at 8:30 AM, Buffalo Junction said:

Richard Sherman and Roquan Smith did it, but there are a couple notable differences. Neither are QBs, and they both scored much higher on the wonderlic. Sherman graduated from Stanford. Roquan Smith majored in economics and has a track record of shrewd contract manipulation going back to national signing day. 

Nice, thank you!  Cool, great points!

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/25/2023 at 11:30 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Did you just compare Jackson to Jones? Awful. Jackson wins 70% of his games and has won a MVP. Awful, awful comparison. 

Or he was limited in a run he’s at offense with terrible receivers. 

Jackson also sucks when the playoffs come around.   Wgas about a MVP trophy.  

On 2/24/2023 at 4:13 PM, Solomon Grundy said:

I'd like to see Lamar with an alpha WR then we'll see if he's been figured out. Remember how Josh Allen looked before Stefon Diggs. Jalen Hurts before AJ Brown. 

Lamar has had Mark Andrews.  He is a beast that I would put in the top 5 TE's in the league.

• Like (+1) 4

On 2/24/2023 at 4:13 PM, Solomon Grundy said:

I'd like to see Lamar with an alpha WR then we'll see if he's been figured out. Remember how Josh Allen looked before Stefon Diggs. Jalen Hurts before AJ Brown. 

Remember how John Brown looked with Lamar in 2018 and then bolted the next season for Buffalo and performed better with Josh Allen?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Remember how John Brown looked with Lamar in 2018 and then bolted the next season for Buffalo and performed better with Josh Allen?

And the Bills still felt they had to deal for Diggs...

16 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Lamar has had Mark Andrews.  He is a beast that I would put in the top 5 TE's in the league.

Andrews is still not an "alpha" receiver. Very good though 

On 2/25/2023 at 1:00 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Interesting math.  Jackson threw for 36 TDs in his 2019 MVP season, while Jones has thrown for 60 TDs in his career.  Jones also had a higher QBR and more wins than Jackson this past season, and won as many playoff games as Jackson has in his career.

Edited by BayBuck
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.