Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

6 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I hope Lamar gets paid and resets the market. Allen is already signed long term to relatively team friendly deal. A monster deal to Lamar early in the off-season would put a ton of pressure on the Bengals, Chargers, and possibly Jaguars later to tie up their cap with exorbitant QB contracts and guarantees moving forward. 

Baltimore isn't a dumb organization, I mean look back to when got Lamar, they still had Flacco in the fold and ultimately did a 180 and built an offense around Lamar. So they should be able to do another 180 and go with another QB assuming they have the right OC/players around said QB. If Lamar had been healthy the last two seasons and been in the top 5 amongst QBs passing/rushing stats am sure they'd be a lil more willing to hand out some guaranteed money but he hasn't. Therefore he doesn't deserve the money he thinks he deserves and/or wants. I fully expect him 1)Be traded for at least a 1st Round pick in this coming draft or more around draft day, 2)Play on the franchise tag with Baltimore and show he's a top 5 QB and get a long term deal 3))Play on the franchise tag with Baltimore and struggle with health again and traded late in the season or just not re-signed. 

2 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

Jackson (who desperately needs to hire a quality agent) has to get it through his head that the Browns deal with Watson was an aberration and is accepted as such around the league -- and should not be viewed in any way as some sort of "starting point" in negotiations.

I doubt he actually thinks he'll get what he's asking for.  At this point, he's probably hoping that the Ravens call his bluff as to force a trade and then he'll work out a deal with the new team.  I think the bridge has been burned in Baltimore and he has no intention of ever signing an extension there.

21 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

He showed his character by playing at all. He risked playing and got injured believing the Ravens were going to do right by him. Lamar is a better QB than Murray/Wilson. The Ravens offered him a contract less than theirs. Total disrespect IMO. Lamar Jackson is the main reason Ravens stadium is filled. That alone should warrant the money

Ravens stadium was filled bro long before Lamar ever set foot there.  He is overrated.  And he quit on his team.  Last I heard he was still getting paid during the 2022 season, even if it wasn't the offer that you feel he should get.  The Ravens don't really want him at this point.  But they need to pump him up to get maximum value in a trade for him.  He isn't leading any team to the promised land.  He was a curiosity.  And now has been figured out.  

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

The Ravens offer seems good, but it depends on if the $133M was the total guaranteed or what was guaranteed at signing.

If you look at the total guaranteed money:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/broncos-give-russell-wilson-monster-extension-where-qb-stacks-up-among-richest-contracts-in-nfl-history/

the $130M in guarantees doesn’t even put him in the top 5 for QBs. It would put him at #7, just ahead of Matt Stafford.

This is the Ravens offer as of today and I agree with what you said in your excellent post (especially about Allen and Mahomes).

The difference really is what Lamar was offered in 2021 when Allen signed.  It was reported it was a bit above what Josh got AAV and

bonus prorated, but on a 5-year deal whereas Allen got 6.

The thing is since that time (when I contest Lamar should have signed) he has not completed his last 2 seasons.

Back in the summer of 2021 he had a previous 2 season record of 24-6 and had an MVP.  His stock was at the highest.

Missing 5 games the last 2 seasons has reduced his guarantee's. 

His stock is down from 2021 and if he gets injured again this season............................................................

26 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Ravens stadium was filled bro long before Lamar ever set foot there.  He is overrated.  And he quit on his team.  Last I heard he was still getting paid during the 2022 season, even if it wasn't the offer that you feel he should get.  The Ravens don't really want him at this point.  But they need to pump him up to get maximum value in a trade for him.  He isn't leading any team to the promised land.  He was a curiosity.  And now has been figured out.  

Completely agree....and that Watson contract is an absolute outlier.  You may see guys get up to 50M, but that percentage of guarantee is not happening anytime soon.  Lamar not having an agent is also a big mistake. 

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Completely agree....and that Watson contract is an absolute outlier.  You may see guys get up to 50M, but that percentage of guarantee is not happening anytime soon.  Lamar not having an agent is also a big mistake. 

you and whoever else can characterize Watson’s deal as an outlier or aberration, fact is players and their agents will call it a precedent and use it as such. Owners and GMs know this and is why they are so pissed. 

Wait and see what Jackson, Burrow and similarly situated QBs end up getting in the near future and we’ll find out if Watson’s deal was really a one-off.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I'd like to see Lamar with an alpha WR then we'll see if he's been figured out. Remember how Josh Allen looked before Stefon Diggs. Jalen Hurts before AJ Brown. 

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

While it could’ve been stated more civilly, @Dopey is 100% correct. Jackson would’ve been risking upwards of 9 figures by playing. Any sane agent or advisor would have told him to sit. Certainly there are always people who do not act rationally because of emotion or other reasons, but in this case those would have been rare exceptions. The Ravens knew that the scenario they found themselves in was a possibility and they still didn’t think Lamar was worth what he was asking. Sometimes when both sides make business decisions it plays out like this. 

I’ll try to watch my tone. Thanks. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Well that escalated quickly. I’m talking about Jackson.. playing and getting hurt.. and removing all doubt. I wouldn’t call you a fool. No personal attacks on you. Okay. 

Watson had a terrible 6 or 7 games last year. We’ll see how he looks going forward. The Browns are about twice as talented on offense as those Texans teams were, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Watson name another name for himself in 2023-24. Question is, what direction is Jackson headed in? 

I think Watson will excel. I don’t think Jackson will, unless he stays in Baltimore. Read rumors of Atl for Jackson. Big mistake for Atl. Can’t say mistake for Jackson, as with this scenario he gets paid a boatload. 

12 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I think Watson will excel. I don’t think Jackson will, unless he stays in Baltimore. Read rumors of Atl for Jackson. Big mistake for Atl. Can’t say mistake for Jackson, as with this scenario he gets paid a boatload. 

I don’t know, just on a surface level ATL appears to be run-oriented, with a (potentially) star TE, same as he had in Baltimore. Of course they would have to go even further and tailor their offensive scheme towards Jackson. But it may work?

• Like (+1) 1

Jackson is a weird one for me because he is such an awesome weapon when healthy but his health is certainly a major concern. If I am Jackson and I believe I can get the 250 guaranteed I hold out until I get it. Truly though I probably allow the GM to save face by doing a Mahomes deal where the guaranteed money starts a full season before the one I am entering so it is not practical to cut him. If he gets $100 million signing bonus for a $50 a year contract which guarantees a full year before the one we are entering basically they will have $100 million hit every year except the last one, when it will be cheaper to just keep him. 

Tag and trade is probably the best play if you're the Ravens in this situation.  If I'm a GM I can't give $250m guaranteed to a QB who has missed significant time two years in a row including a playoff game, and has only regressed since his MVP year.  The haul they could get would be immense...if they can find a different GM to give $250m guaranteed.

This is indicative of how distorted the QB market has become. When Daniel Jones and Jackson feel they’re entitled to Mahomes and Allen money and ownership is willing to pay them, it proves there should be a separate cap for QBs. The cap restricts teams to fill rosters and stay competitive. With new contracts dictating the market, QBs with one solid season after a whole rookie contract of mediocrity , puts teams in cap jail if they invest in a questionable talent. For the best interests of competitive balance going forward, these monster contracts should be separated in some manner from the rest of the cap.

• Disagree 3
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

This is indicative of how distorted the QB market has become. When Daniel Jones and Jackson feel they’re entitled to Mahomes and Allen money and ownership is willing to pay them, it proves there should be a separate cap for QBs. The cap restricts teams to fill rosters and stay competitive. With new contracts dictating the market, QBs with one solid season after a whole rookie contract of mediocrity , puts teams in cap jail if they invest in a questionable talent. For the best interests of competitive balance going forward, these monster contracts should be separated in some manner from the rest of the cap.

Did you just compare Jackson to Jones? Awful. Jackson wins 70% of his games and has won a MVP. Awful, awful comparison. 

18 hours ago, Dopey said:

Or he was limited in a run he’s at offense with terrible receivers. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Did you just compare Jackson to Jones? Awful. Jackson wins 70% of his games and has won a MVP. Awful, awful comparison. 

Or he was limited in a run he’s at offense with terrible receivers. 

Jackson has much more talent but for a different reason he’s not eligible for Allen, Mahomes or Jackson’s (undeserved) contract. AVAILABILITY is the most important attribute of a franchise QB. 2 straight seasons, last 5 regular season games and postseason missed. 3 seasons ago, throws a terrible pick in the red zone and Taron Johnson takes to the house. Game over. Can you tell me what he’s done, other than win some early regular season games, that Huntley could have probably won with their defense. There was no comparison to Jones other than that they both need to prove more.

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Jackson has much more talent but for a different reason he’s not eligible for Allen, Mahomes or Jackson’s (undeserved) contract. AVAILABILITY is the most important attribute of a franchise QB. 2 straight seasons, last 5 regular season games and postseason missed. 3 seasons ago, throws a terrible pick in the red zone and Taron Johnson takes to the house. Game over. Can you tell me what he’s done, other than win some early regular season games, that Huntley could have probably won with their defense. There was no comparison to Jones other than that they both need to prove more.

Huntley has gone 3-5, thrown 3 tds to 5 ints the last 2 years. Lamar has went 15-9, thrown 33 tds to 20 ints. Dumb take.

Even dumber is Lamar almost has thrown for more tds in his mvp season than Jones has thrown in his whole career. In Jones’ “breakout” season, Lamar threw for tds than Jones did in 12 games. Awful, awful comparisons.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.