Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Honestly I don't see the big deal.  Lamar will be signed to a massive 4 year deal anyway.  What are the odds he won't be 'the guy', where ever he is, for the next 4 years?  

This is more about the league not wanting to set a precedent for fully guaranteed contracts.

Unfortunately for them one of their own owners already set that precedent. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

Unfortunately for them one of their own owners already set that precedent. 

Yeah, but the Browns franchise doesn’t command the respect that Baltimore does.  It means more if the Ravens were to shell out a fully guaranteed deal. 

I think the NFL is headed in that direction anyway with the upper echelon QBs.  Their deals are virtually guaranteed anyway, unless something truly unexpected were to happen.  

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

nothing in your biased tangent has anything to do with my single comment about availability. Watson pouted for an entire season and was then hit with a lengthy suspension. I never said anything about either QBs’ respective abilities. But I’m the fool? 

No pouting. The Texans were not going to put Watson on the field in 2021. Him sitting but getting fully paid for the season was a negotiated settlement between him and the Texans - and blessed by the league. He wanted to play, but not for the Texans. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

They offered him what is overwhelmingly considered to be a fair and generous offer and he turned it down.  I do not fault the Ravens if they are no longer interested in wasting their time negotiating with a delusional amateur who insists on representing himself to his own detriment.

Heard an interesting point on Sirius NFL Radio today.

Maybe Lamar has, in fact, tried to get an agent.  Maybe he has interviewed a couple.   And no agent will take him.

If lamar starts agent interviews with "I want a fully guaranteed contract like Watson.  Nothing Less" then none of the top agents would sign up for that, waste a couple months trying for the impossible, then have their reputations tarnished when they got fired and/or quit repping Lamar.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

15 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Is it possible that Lamar Jackson's career is over because he's just plain stubborn and unrealistic?

It is not over.  But, he is being extremely stubborn and unrealistic and it is negatively effecting his career. 

He does not have an agent, correct?  Another example of being stubborn and counting every penny.  Rarely can someone double dip both ends AND win.  He seems to not be the exception.

16 hours ago, SCBills said:

Two things can be true.

1)  He is twice the QB Watson is.

2)  Baltimore should absolutely not give him the contract he is asking for. 

Before Watson's suspension, he was a pretty darn good QB. He was a more complete passer for sure. Jackson's uniqueness is purely and simply his running ability of  which a couple more injuries to his wheels....

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Was thinking the same thing. He doesn't want to be there,  but if they pay him what he wants,  he'll stick around. 

Yup, and the thing is no other team is going to give him what he is demanding, he is doing the “ who’s going to blink first” thing, imo, he is as good as gone from Baltimore, I suspect they are fine with that and  already have plans set in place for his eventual departure. 

• Like (+1) 1

I hope Lamar gets paid and resets the market. Allen is already signed long term to relatively team friendly deal. A monster deal to Lamar early in the off-season would put a ton of pressure on the Bengals, Chargers, and possibly Jaguars later to tie up their cap with exorbitant QB contracts and guarantees moving forward. 

36 minutes ago, Manther said:

It is not over.  But, he is being extremely stubborn and unrealistic and it is negatively effecting his career. 

He does not have an agent, correct?  Another example of being stubborn and counting every penny.  Rarely can someone double dip both ends AND win.  He seems to not be the exception.

Richard Sherman and Roquan Smith did it, but there are a couple notable differences. Neither are QBs, and they both scored much higher on the wonderlic. Sherman graduated from Stanford. Roquan Smith majored in economics and has a track record of shrewd contract manipulation going back to national signing day. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

No pouting. The Texans were not going to put Watson on the field in 2021. Him sitting but getting fully paid for the season was a negotiated settlement between him and the Texans - and blessed by the league. He wanted to play, but not for the Texans. 

So he wanted to play but not for the team for which he was contracted to play. He also made clear he would utilize his no trade clause to torpedo any deal he didn’t like (and to ensure he got the deal he liked from his new destination.) You can find a different verb other than “pout” I suppose to describe his actions, but it certainly seems appropriate to me. People in here are dumping on Jackson for allegedly refusing to play for his team through a documented injury late in the season, while a healthy Watson did something worse (among other, far worse, things.)

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

This is why the owners were so upset with the Browns, and I agree with them. Giving this pervert a guaranteed huge contract was moronic!! I don't blame Lamar at all.  A healthy Lamar is worth more than Watson, but he made a big mistake stepping on the field last year without a new contract in place. Now this makes two years in a row he got hurt and couldn't finish the season. The ravens have just two decisions: Pay him a fully guaranteed contract or trade him for as much as you can get. I doubt he plays under a franchise tag.

So how would that work under salary cap?  The team would be committing $xx mil towards the 2023 cap.  But if he didn't play at all, he wouldn't get paid.  Would the Ravens then get that money credited back towards the 2024 cap?  Would make it easy to tag him again as wouldn't cost that much more for 2nd year tag.  Would it even be considered a 2nd year cap, could be a bog league NFLPA argument over that one. 

Believe too the rules changed in last CBA that he needs to report by week one to have the year count as accrued, used to be around week 10 

10 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

nothing in your biased tangent has anything to do with my single comment about availability. Watson pouted for an entire season and was then hit with a lengthy suspension. I never said anything about either QBs’ respective abilities. But I’m the fool? 

Well that escalated quickly. I’m talking about Jackson.. playing and getting hurt.. and removing all doubt. I wouldn’t call you a fool. No personal attacks on you. Okay. 

10 hours ago, Dopey said:

Actually, the last time we saw Watson, he lost to N.O. Scoring all of 10 points. Missing the playoffs. The Browns did miss the playoffs, right? 

Talk about removing all doubt. 

Watson had a terrible 6 or 7 games last year. We’ll see how he looks going forward. The Browns are about twice as talented on offense as those Texans teams were, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Watson name another name for himself in 2023-24. Question is, what direction is Jackson headed in? 

5 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Yeah, but the Browns franchise doesn’t command the respect that Baltimore does.  It means more if the Ravens were to shell out a fully guaranteed deal. 

I think the NFL is headed in that direction anyway with the upper echelon QBs.  Their deals are virtually guaranteed anyway, unless something truly unexpected were to happen.  

That’s true and for good reason. But Jackson doesn’t need Baltimore to be the one to shell out for a Watson-adjacent deal, and frankly he probably doesn’t want them to given the way negotiations have gone to this point. But it only takes one other team to be willing to do so (franchise tag complications set aside) and in a QB starved league (especially in the NFC) he knows there’s an owner or two out there desperate and dimwitted like the Haslems who will pony up.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, SCBills said:

I'm sure Lamar knows that some team will give him something like 50M per, fully guaranteed, 6-7 year contract. 

Easy for us to say that's crazy, given we have Josh Allen, but I'm sure quite a few would pay whatever it takes to someone like Lamar Jackson when we were wandering in the QB wilderness after Jim Kelly. 

Let's hope the Jets are that team.  Kill their cap and deplete their picks... Woody Johnson said he'd do whatever it takes to bring in a top tier QB, didn't he?   Lamar, debatable, but most would say he's that.

Lamar is the "elite" QB that scares me the least. McFrazier seem to have a good recipe/gameplan for limiting him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.