Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

Out of any player on the market this year, I feel he will be the most disappointed by the interest he receives from teams. 

Like Aaron Rodgers-level disappointment as he fell to 24th in the 2005 draft.

I don't think the Ravens are interested, and I suspect teams know about whatever health issues he has that have been kept under wraps.  IMO, I think his body is toast insofar as it being able to handle the rigors of playing in the NFL. The offers will be heavy on incentives, light on anything guaranteed.  

If they franchise him under a non-exclusive tag (I think they will) he can sit in a room alone under the light of a single bulb and negotiate with himself. I don't think anyone meets his demands.

In addition to the risk of injury teams also have to figure out whether Lamar really is scheme versatile or whether Roman's run heavy offence was crucial in putting him in a position to succeed. 

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, Billl said:

I always find it incredible that people on message boards always think they know better than the actual players when it comes to those players’ finances.

Yeah we should just leave it up to the player. We shouldn't even discuss player comp lol...

By the way, I think Lamar should be listening to a professional representative instead of his mom.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Yeah we should just leave it up to the player. We shouldn't even discuss player comp lol...

By the way, I think Lamar should be listening to a professional representative instead of his mom.

So go on record.  You think he’s getting less guaranteed money than the $133m he reportedly turned down?  I’ll say he gets substantially more than that.

1 minute ago, Billl said:

So go on record.  You think he’s getting less guaranteed money than the $133m he reportedly turned down?  I’ll say he gets substantially more than that.

I just went on the record saying he's not getting everything he has asked for in the way of a guarantee, specifically a fully guaranteed contract. Maybe some GM will do it but I don't believe many would. I think someone, maybe even the Ravens, could offer him more money over a cap friendly six year contract but it won't be fully guaranteed imo (nor should it be).

Just now, starrymessenger said:

I just went on the record saying he's not getting everything he has asked for in the way of a guarantee, specifically a fully guaranteed contract. Maybe some GM will do it but I don't believe many would. I think someone, maybe even the Ravens, could offer him more money over a cap friendly six year contract but it won't be fully guaranteed imo (nor should it be).

Nobody gets everything they ask for in a negotiation.  Do you think he’ll get more than the $133m guaranteed he turned down?  If he does, it means he was smart.

If he was a Bill I'd be completely divided on what to do with him. I think whatever way the Ravens go - a boatload of picks or this insane contract would be fine with me. If they value any current draft QBs or next year Qzbs high enough, I'd go with the picks.

Not sure he's a top 5 QB in the AFC

Allen Burrow Mahomes

Herbert Lawrence 

Edited by JerseyBills

So, it appears that he wants out of Baltimore…, 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Lamar's going to get tagged. Is he going to sit out the whole year? He's not getting the money as a 26 yr old RB, is he going to get it as a 27 yr old RB? Didn't we already go through this with Leveon Bell?

He doesn’t have to. He just has to wait until right before the first game to sign the tag. The Ravens have a new OC and are going to implement a new offense. He won’t be there to learn the new offense or work with the rest of the offensive players getting it down. That would be a huge setback for the season. I think it’ll be a tag and trade situation. 

• Agree 1

The contractual demands from Lamar for the Ravens are compounded by the fact that they’re in the AFC. 

Lamar in the NFC… He might go into the season as the best QB in that conference for whichever team may trade for him. 

Lamar in the AFC… 2nd best in his division, 6th(?) in the conference. 

How can an AFC team justify taking on the risk of the contract he wants when there are 5 conference teams that have a QB advantage over you?

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The contractual demands from Lamar for the Ravens is compounded by the fact that they’re in the AFC. 

Lamar in the NFC… He might go into the season as the best QB in that conference for whichever team may trade for him. 

How can an AFC team justify taking on the risk of the contract he wants when there are 5 conference teams that have a QB advantage over you?

These are really good points 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The contractual demands from Lamar for the Ravens are compounded by the fact that they’re in the AFC. 

If this is Lamar’s strategy to get out of the AFC and onto an NFC team, then color me impressed. He’ll get paid and be a top QB in his conference. 

As for an AFC GM taking the chance on trading for him, there’s always a few who need a QB and know they’ll get fired soon if the team doesn’t take a step forward. If it doesn’t work someone else will have to clean up the mess anyway. 

14 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Lamar has to be somewhat realistic that no team is going to want to guarantee 5+ years to a QB that spent the ending of the last two years hurt and has a style of play that is dependent on running. This is not an easy situation for the Ravens to be in. 

Yeah. I don’t blame Lamar for wanting to get all he can and I don’t blame the Ravens for not giving him what he’s asking for. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

He showed his character by playing at all. He risked playing and got injured believing the Ravens were going to do right by him. Lamar is a better QB than Murray/Wilson. The Ravens offered him a contract less than theirs. Total disrespect IMO. Lamar Jackson is the main reason Ravens stadium is filled. That alone should warrant the money

I went to the Bills-Ravens game last year and that stadium was nowhere near full.  Those fans get a contending team every year and never show up.

Can't wait to see what happens once they trade Lamar and have some 6 win seasons.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

It could be a death blow to the entire organization if they don’t handle this right.

Getting a boatload of draft picks seems to be the safest bet. 

Agreed, at this point it might be best for both parties to part ways. Ravens are in a really tough spot, pretty much damned if you do damned if you don't.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.