Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Lamar Jackson controls everything. Ravens aren’t going to tag him exclusively, cap hit too high. If they tag him non exclusive he can negotiate with other teams and get the deal he wants.

You know someone will pay him.

I agree that some team will pay him, but I fully expect the exclusive franchise tag. The Ravens would be foolish (read: stupid) to invite a team like the Giants (26th pick) or any of the QB needy teams picking between 13 and 20 to pay him. The Giants could waltz up and sign him to a 5 year, $235M fully guaranteed contract. Then what do the Ravens do? They either have to assume that contract or take pick 26 and another (probably late) first round pick in 2024. Oh, and they’d also have to find a QB. They can’t let something like that happen. 

Just goes to show how stupid that Watson contract was. It's now affecting everyone else.

Luckily, we got our guy signed up already.

Maybe Jackson is just trying to go the Kirk Cousins route so he can hit free agency and head over to the QB starved NFC.

Turning down generational wealth to risk earning even more generational wealth is the start of an unfortunate parable. Maybe the risk will be worth it in the end. But it's the similar mindset of a gambler who wins big and then bets it all on red. He's one awkward hit away from having his life ruined.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

I'm sure Lamar knows that some team will give him something like 50M per, fully guaranteed, 6-7 year contract. 

Easy for us to say that's crazy, given we have Josh Allen, but I'm sure quite a few would pay whatever it takes to someone like Lamar Jackson when we were wandering in the QB wilderness after Jim Kelly. 

Let's hope the Jets are that team.  Kill their cap and deplete their picks... Woody Johnson said he'd do whatever it takes to bring in a top tier QB, didn't he?   Lamar, debatable, but most would say he's that.

I agree. Some desperate franchise with an owner with more money than sense will pay him. Could be the Jets, the Raiders, Saints, Bucs. Who knows. He would receive better marketing if he had an agent for sure.

I like Lamar more than most on this board and want to see him real receivers. I also think most agents are jokes and just steal from talented people.

that said, he’s doing himself a huge disservice by not having someone negotiate for him. The Ravens want to sign him but I don’t blame them for not guaranteeing everything. And I don’t blame him for wanting it. But there needs to be some wiggle room.The Browns screwed everyone.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Turning down generational wealth to risk earning even more generational wealth is the start of an unfortunate parable. Maybe the risk will be worth it in the end. But it's the similar mindset of a gambler who wins big and then bets it all on red. He's one awkward hit away from having his life ruined.

You’re overreacting. It’s negotiations. I don’t totally agree with it but dude is going to get paid big time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

To be paid the highest contract in the league I always thought that was reserved for the #1 guy

Crazy me...

Sadly not in today's NFL. It's last man up and best available at that time. Lamar has an inflated self worth as he's not MVP Lamar and has no agent to tell him different. I'm expecting him to get franchised and traded either this off-season  or late during the season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.