Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

29 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If I'm Baltimore, I'm tagging Lamar and telling him to come play 1 more year with the new OC, and if it goes well, I'll give him $300M all guaranteed. And if not, we'll let him hit FA and never tag him again.

Lamar Jackson controls everything. Ravens aren’t going to tag him exclusively, cap hit too high. If they tag him non exclusive he can negotiate with other teams and get the deal he wants.

You know someone will pay him.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Is it possible that Lamar Jackson's career is over because he's just plain stubborn and unrealistic?

Possible, sure. Especially with no agent or anyone else guiding him with these business decisions.

Hope he saw that recent Le'Veon Bell interview where he said holding out and sitting out was the biggest mistake of his life and he shouldve just signed the Steelers original offer.

If Ravens tag him and he sits out, it's all downhill.

I still think they tag him and ultimately trade him to Atlanta tho. And Arthur Blank WILL give him $275M all guaranteed.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Lamar Jackson controls everything. Ravens aren’t going to tag him exclusively, cap hit too high. If they tag him non exclusive he can negotiate with other teams and get the deal he wants.

You know someone will pay him.

See above. I think tag and trade is what ultimately happens. Just theorizing on what else they could do. That new OC throws an interesting wrinkle in. I do disagree that he controls everything. He controls himself and whether he plays or not. But the team has options too.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

58 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I understand that he is trying to maximize himself due to his past accomplishments, as well as the importance of the position he plays, and the fact he totes the rock more than any other QB. Still, this is 13 on the Wonderlic type stuff. The Browns were stupid. There are 31 other franchises that are not the Browns, and therefore carry themselves accordingly. BUT, I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets would do something irrational if given the opportunity. 

55 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'm sure Lamar knows that some team will give him something like 50M per, fully guaranteed, 6-7 year contract. 

Easy for us to say that's crazy, given we have Josh Allen, but I'm sure quite a few would pay whatever it takes to someone like Lamar Jackson when we were wandering in the QB wilderness after Jim Kelly. 

Let's hope the Jets are that team.  Kill their cap and deplete their picks... Woody Johnson said he'd do whatever it takes to bring in a top tier QB, didn't he?   Lamar, debatable, but most would say he's that.

I hope it's not the jets.  Even a best up Lamar is better than what they had last year and the rest of their team is pretty solid top to bottom.  A better than average QB would make them better.

As far as the cap hell, yes I agree.

1 hour ago, Calidiehard said:

Injury history is enough to not put that option on the table.

Do you really believe he couldn't have played at the end of the season? He didn't owe the organization anything. They weren't negotiating with him in full sincerity. Their offer to him was putrid. Honestly, he shouldn't have played at all. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 6

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I'm sure Lamar knows that some team will give him something like 50M per, fully guaranteed, 6-7 year contract. 

Easy for us to say that's crazy, given we have Josh Allen, but I'm sure quite a few would pay whatever it takes to someone like Lamar Jackson when we were wandering in the QB wilderness after Jim Kelly. 

Let's hope the Jets are that team.  Kill their cap and deplete their picks... Woody Johnson said he'd do whatever it takes to bring in a top tier QB, didn't he?   Lamar, debatable, but most would say he's that.

The Jets also told Derek Carr that if he came to NY he'd be a first ballot hall of famer, so the Jets do have a history of being completely insane and living in an alternate reality...

10 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Do you really believe he couldn't have played at the end of the season? He didn't owe the organization anything. They weren't negotiating with him in full sincerity. Their offer to him was putrid. Honestly, he shouldn't have played at all. 

I would boycott and never play football again....

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

He missed final 4 games the season before as well. The fact he sat for a playoff game says everything about his character and he doesn't deserve a fully guaranteed contract. Also not saying Watson should have gotten that either.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

17 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

They offered him what is overwhelmingly considered to be a fair and generous offer and he turned it down.  I do not fault the Ravens if they are no longer interested in wasting their time negotiating with a delusional amateur who insists on representing himself to his own detriment.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Calidiehard said:

He missed final 4 games the season before as well. The fact he sat for a playoff game says everything about his character and he doesn't deserve a fully guaranteed contract. Also not saying Watson should have gotten that either.

He showed his character by playing at all. He risked playing and got injured believing the Ravens were going to do right by him. Lamar is a better QB than Murray/Wilson. The Ravens offered him a contract less than theirs. Total disrespect IMO. Lamar Jackson is the main reason Ravens stadium is filled. That alone should warrant the money

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.