very good SI piece by Andrew Brandt on "cap jail" nonsense because you had to pay a quarterback

dave mcbride

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I don't know if you looked at the KC Spotrac sites I gave.  Just heard on NFLN that the Chiefs are probably letting Orlando Brown Jr walk.

They also released Frank Clark (no comp there).

Money is a factor.  

They released Clark because they got what they needed out of him and his play has declined (although he has been very good for them in the postseason, which matters). Not the trajectory of his AV over the last four years: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ClarFr01.htm. You can say they're releasing him because of money, but the better way to look at it is as follows: he is overpaid relative to his production now, and he's not going to get any better. 

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

They released Clark because they got what they needed out of him and his play has declined (although he has been very good for them in the postseason, which matters). Not the trajectory of his AV over the last four years: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ClarFr01.htm. You can say they're releasing him because of money, but the better way to look at it is as follows: he is overpaid relative to his production now, and he's not going to get any better. 

I can't win with any of this.  LOL.

I'll put it this way.  If money is never an issue (like so many on this site thinks) then he wouldn't be released.

Right?

54 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

So much of the cap jail concept relates to the QB. Teams that find themselves in a bad spot are typically teams with mid-tier QBs earning massive salaries who are also completely dependent on elite talent around them to have any success (the Kirk Cousinses, Derek Carrs, and Jimmy Gs of the world). NO always got away with their cap situation in the past because they had a QB who could make any receiver look terrific and who raised the play of everyone around him. Bad QB contracts are the real problem. I look at teams like Baltimore, Cleveland, the Giants, and Minnesota and see problems given the money involved with the QB position. And if I'm Miami I don't know what to do with Tua. I also don't know what Baltimore will do. With regard to Minnesota, I say this even though the Vikings went 13-4. That was the most bogus 13-win season since the Bears in 2003, who also had a bunch of miracle victories. When a Dalvin Cook leaves on a team with Tom Brady on it, it simply doesn't matter much because the team would always be fine on offense no matter who the back was. A mediocre talent like Cousins needs Dalvin Cook, however. Josh Allen is the opposite of Kirk Cousins, so I generally feel very good about the Bills cap situation in future years. Yeah, guys will leave but the core will remain and the Bills should be in good shape. Same with KC.

Well said, agree with all this, nice post!

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I don't know if you looked at the KC Spotrac sites I gave.  Just heard on NFLN that the Chiefs are probably letting Orlando Brown Jr walk.

They also released Frank Clark (no comp there).

Money is a factor.  

I’m not surprised Andy probably has a wink and a nod deal with another tackle in free agency like say Mike McGlinchey that will cost them less than Brown 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.