Von Miller's injury, and pass rush needs this offseason

Yantha

51 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'm not expecting freak Von early in the year, and we should definitely manage his snaps to make sure he's fresh when we need him, but I agree with those who think Von will be a force off the edge for us for the next two years.  

I'm not concerned about him at all.  

Now Tre'Davious White on the other hand.. I've got my fingers crossed, but Von and Hyde.. I'm not too concerned. 

Sadly all it takes is one snap and he is back on the bench.  This whole manage the snaps thing is total BS.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Greg Rousseau has to step up and be the player they drafted him to be. He’s the key. 

The only time Greg (doesn't deserve a nickname)Rousseau looked halfway decent was when Von was on the field. If Von is slow getting up to speed like Tre then we're screwed.

AJE & Basham are worthless and Shaq helps with run support and that's it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Von’s ACL did not even show up on an MRI, it was only found during an exploratory. I’m hoping that’s a good sign.  

This  ................... some reason to be optimistic.  Not sure how we get it but I'm of the idea our pass rush doesn't drop QB's like some other teams because our DT's aren't playing in the backfield as much as some other teams.  If we could trade out Oliver for Payne to play beside Jones that would be a pretty formidable combination.

8 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

This  ................... some reason to be optimistic.  Not sure how we get it but I'm of the idea our pass rush doesn't drop QB's like some other teams because our DT's aren't playing in the backfield as much as some other teams.  If we could trade out Oliver for Payne to play beside Jones that would be a pretty formidable combination.

I think one of the biggest, hidden problems with our pass rush is staring the scheme right in the face. The rotation concept is clearly not working. Put your best DEs on the field and let them get a good long sequence of plays under their belt. It takes that repetition to set up the opposing lineman for an inside swim move, straight up bull rush, or outside bending move. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Outside of Beane trading down, I'm not sure how the Bills expect to have enough picks to invest more into the Defensive Line with draft picks. 

Round 1 Oliver

Round 1 Rousseau

Round 2 Epenesa

Round 2 Basham

FA Miller

How much more investment does there need to be? 

Coach these guys up. 

Impact pass rushers are hard to find in Late Round 1, let alone in the middle rounds. 

Resign Lawson, and go with what you have. 

Same as running back. Sorry, not enough resources to try and get a better room there, with huge needs at OL, WR, S and probably LB as Edmunds is supposed to test FA. 

It’s true, McBeane threw a mountainful of resources towards our DL since inception. Don’t forget DaQuon, Ed and Settle. All big money and/or resources.

And mediocrity is all we have to show for it.

I think if Leslie was given a young Bruce Smith we would have never heard of him. The linemen is Frazier’s D do what they are told. They do not read and react. This often leads to disasters….

I wish we had Wade Philips back as DC…

but even he would need a year to get his boys here.
Maybe more as our cap situation is very dire….

Remember that DL he built here?

He brought in my second favorite Bill of all-time in Ted Washington. He drafted Marcellus Wiley (and even better, MLB Sam Cowart. And even better than that, Antoine Winfield.) 

He had an old but still relavent Bruse Smith. He had Hanson too I Billieve.

Plus an up and coming Pat Washington….

Man, now that was a defense!

Definitely the best D we have had in the modern era.

I still can’t accept how stupid Tom Donahoe was…. Although it wasn’t his fault Sam Cowart was the victim of a severe cheap shot.

Tom was incredibly stupid signing Lawson while letting both Winfield and Williams exit in FA….

I remember Marv Levy had major coordinator problems and couldn’t solve them either….

ah…. I’m thru ranting for awhile…. Our situation is very depressing though….

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Tre White wan't himself after a year....tried to play into form, but could run like he did before.  Miller at 33......not going to be a contributor in 23 imho.

You can't just compare injuries like that. White had other meniscus damage around the knee. Miller was a simple straightforward ACL tear. Also at least half the battle of recovering is mental. It was clear a few months ago that White was held back by more than just the injury. McDermott danced around it as best he could, but White clearly lost his confidence during the rehab. Contrast with Hyde he was set to return from a major neck injury in unprecedented time. He wanted to get back on the field so he made it happen. I have no doubts Miller will handle his rehab like a pro and he has an easier injury to manage from the start.

5 hours ago, Yantha said:

iMiller's injury is a tough one to bounce back from to the level we expect at his price tag.  I hope he recovers to 100%, but at age 33, is that likely?

As much as we've invested in defense via the draft, plus our obvious need on the OL, will we be needing a Von Miller "replacement"?  Draft/FA?

Honestly, this may be unpopular, but I think they need a new mind running the defense. Where is the creativity in the defense? It's too simple, no stunts, no disguise. Come playoff time, better coaches take Frazier's lunch money. How many years will this be the case before they make a change? Having a top five defense in the regular season has done nothing for them come playoff time. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Beane will be forced to take an EDGE at 27.  Pass Rush needs serious help

Don't know that guy would be there at 27. But if McD feels the irresistible need for a first round linebacker to replace Edmunds, at least the guys he would likely be picking from can all get after the QB.

• Like (+1) 1

People always talk about Von like he's an old man now.  Had his play dropped off at all when he was healthy this past season?

Reggie White was the same age when he was signed by Green Bay in the '90s. I think he played well for at least 4-5 years after that, and helped them win a SB.

I don’t think there are any more edge rushers coming to help this year. Basically hope the line is good enough to get us into the playoffs (it probably is), and hope Miller is one of those genetic freaks that can come back from an ACL and not miss a beat for the run at the end of the year.

15 hours ago, Shortchaz said:

We are stuck with von for now, and I expect it to feel exactly like that. Fix the o-line and hope the d is serviceable for a season or 2 

yes.  the best QBs have the ball out in 2 seconds so pass rush is largely irrelevant in the playoffs.  put the $$ into the Offense 

Von Miller was the type of Shiny Object which either wins you a SB or blows up in your face.   That's why I don't like those kind of moves.  This one blew up in Beane's face.   Should have stuck to the process:  draft, grow, re-sign,   Now he is stuck with a $20+m annual cap hit for years for a guy whose main strength is probably now gone.   

Chiefs have 12, yes 12 draft picks this year.  Bills have 6.   Not sure Bills catch up to them any more.   

thanks Heath Farwell, we had a shot at the crown and you sh-t the bed when it mattered most.  

Edited by ProcessTruster

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Bringing a veteran like Melvin Ingram

Yeah I like this. Whenever he plays against us he wreaks havoc. Not much of a base end, but if he get out there on 3rd downs and rush the passer opposite Von, I think it helps and takes a little pressure off the rest of the guys. 

16 hours ago, In Summary said:

Bills will have to make do with who they have.  If Beane loves him some Edmunds and/or Oliver then absolutely no money for a rush end.  Maybe he uses the 1st on an end while the offense sputters? My prediction is that Frazier/McDermott will be loath to adjust scheme and personnel but ultimately will have to as they are not going to get consistent pressure with the four they're able to field - at least not until Miller comes back 90%.

What if the problem with the D line is Frazier and McDermott? Maybe the talent is good enough but they don’t scheme them to the best of their talents? I think the answer rests somewhere in between and it would have been nice if they were held accountable for their failures. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.