Von Miller's injury, and pass rush needs this offseason

Yantha

Miller's injury is a tough one to bounce back from to the level we expect at his price tag.  I hope he recovers to 100%, but at age 33, is that likely?

As much as we've invested in defense via the draft, plus our obvious need on the OL, will we be needing a Von Miller "replacement"?  Draft/FA?

3 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Beane will be forced to take an EDGE at 27.  Pass Rush needs serious help

Not a chance can they whiff on another edge rusher. They tried to fix the D line over multiple years and failed miserably. Fix the freaking oline and get Josh some weapons. The entire success of the 2023 season will ride on the offense.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Or even less without Edmunds & Poyer. Hope for the best is right.

Does Hyde pass a physical with his neck issue, any one know?

Hyde said he was cleared to play the AFC championship game. I’m not worried about him. He’s sort a QB of the defense just having him out there will be a boost, even if he lost a step.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Yantha said:

Miller's injury is a tough one to bounce back from to the level we expect at his price tag.  I hope he recovers to 100%, but at age 33, is that likely?

As much as we've invested in defense via the draft, plus our obvious need on the OL, will we be needing a Von Miller "replacement"?  Draft/FA?

Outside of Beane trading down, I'm not sure how the Bills expect to have enough picks to invest more into the Defensive Line with draft picks. 

Round 1 Oliver

Round 1 Rousseau

Round 2 Epenesa

Round 2 Basham

FA Miller

How much more investment does there need to be? 

Coach these guys up. 

Impact pass rushers are hard to find in Late Round 1, let alone in the middle rounds. 

Resign Lawson, and go with what you have. 

Same as running back. Sorry, not enough resources to try and get a better room there, with huge needs at OL, WR, S and probably LB as Edmunds is supposed to test FA. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Yantha said:

Anyone expecting Von to be himself out the gate would be foolish.  But at the same time, its not impossible either that Von could still be good for us this year assuming he remains healthy.  But admittedly, expecting someone turning 34 in this next season to be who they were is already a tall ask, asking them to do it after an ACL tear is even a bigger ask.  

That being said, its a lot different than Tre.  With a CB, the offense directly attacks that player in the passing game.  With a DE, they just want to prevent him from disrupting the play.  So its quite reasonable that Von will still garner some reasonable attention from the opposing team that could benefit the other players on the DL in their opportunities to disrupt the play.  

So Von just being out there can still positively impact the team, where as a CB who is slow to react and doesn't have the explosiveness back yet like Tre dealt with this year is a much bigger liability for the defense.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bills will have to make do with who they have.  If Beane loves him some Edmunds and/or Oliver then absolutely no money for a rush end.  Maybe he uses the 1st on an end while the offense sputters? My prediction is that Frazier/McDermott will be loath to adjust scheme and personnel but ultimately will have to as they are not going to get consistent pressure with the four they're able to field - at least not until Miller comes back 90%.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

Tre White wan't himself after a year....tried to play into form, but could run like he did before.  Miller at 33......not going to be a contributor in 23 imho.

Everyone responds different 

At this point we can just hope for the best 

What I do know is the way Von was able to bend that corner and get home on QBs was a thing of beauty.  If anyone can come back to top form quickly it's him. Alot of pass rushers excel into their 30s.. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not expecting freak Von early in the year, and we should definitely manage his snaps to make sure he's fresh when we need him, but I agree with those who think Von will be a force off the edge for us for the next two years.  

I'm not concerned about him at all.  

Now Tre'Davious White on the other hand.. I've got my fingers crossed, but Von and Hyde.. I'm not too concerned. 

Edited by SCBills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.