Do the Bills Under Appreciate Gabe Davis?

Chaos

49 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Do you remember the quality of receivers Brady was winning SB’s with?

Yes I do….and Brady rose above their deficiencies. As I tried to explain, I’m not pro or anti Davis specifically, but if you read through enough of these threads you’d come away with the impression that the Bills are actually the Texans in disguise. Upgrading the offensive line, get another year under the OCs belt, are priorities 1 and 2 in 2023. 

11 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Davis was one of 42 receivers with more than 93 regular season targets last season.

Among those 42 receivers, he was:

- last in receptions (48)

- last in catch percentage (51.6%)

- 30th in receiving yards (836)

- 36th in catches that resulted in first downs (35)

- tied for 12th in TD receptions (7)

He had 3 or fewer catches in 10/15 of his regular season games.

Courtesy of The Buffalo News 

Damn. 

Let’s hope a new WR coach can help since he has the tools. I feel it’s a confidence and mental thing right now.

17 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Read the article. It's not 1 year it's all 3 years. 

2020 = 56.5%

2021 = 55.6%

2022 = 51.6%

He has one of the lowest catch % in the NFL over all 3 years & it's been declining each year. This is who he is, a low catch % WR. 

You definitely don’t want every ball being a 50/50 ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

But basically we all did, or most I'd say.....

I mean after last 2 seasons along with how he performed in playoffs, especially in the 13 seconds game.....pretty everyone was saying how he's earned his shot to be starting WR2. I don't recall any post saying he didn't deserve his shot, if so I missed it.

So I mean nobody can blame them (not saying you are) for over estimating him since we all did

That right there is pretty much spot on, hind sight is generally miss used, there is likely more to his seasons performance than meets the eye, imo, play design/ scheming had a fair bit to do with it, but that could just be me, 

GO BILLS!!!

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

In this offense the #2 WR should be 1,000+ yards and 10 TD player consistently.

This is the stuff that gets me, if people just look up information. You know how many #2 WR fit this criteria in the NFL?...None. No #2 WR had 1,000 yards and 10 TD combo in all of football. Some came very close and the ones that were close had a QB on a rookie contract or the QB was Geno Smith 🙂. So you want Gabe Davis to be a WR that doesn't exist yet, he's also in his 2nd year as the full time starter. Stefon Diggs had 1,400 yards and 11 TD. I agree with most that he has to improve the drops for sure but we also have Dawson Knox who will be competing with catches.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel2014
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Can you blame them? He earned that opportunity and we all had high hopes, unfortunately it turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. It happens.

Bit of a disappointment? He was arguably the biggest disappointment on the entire team this year performance-wise unless you give those honors to Saffold.  

Lets take a step back in time, how many of you remember Peerless Price, he left us as supposedly a 1B wide receiver and got paid big money, never had the success he had with the BIlls.  I see Gabe Davis as the same type of risk for another team. Bean has some tough decisions to make, who will be the easiest to replace cheaply?

Well our current #2 has a gut and zero muscle definition, going against NFL corners. 

I think most fans accept that the Bills trusted Gabe to step up and he failed. 

He plays out Year 4 and then leaves. 

In the meantime, Bills have this season and will need to use next season finding replacements for Gabe and hedging against the inevitable Diggs decline due to age. 

Bills staff put a lot of faith in him to fill a role and he underperformed. He ain’t under appreciated, he’s just taking heat because he never lived up to expectations. Bills didn’t expect to b that guy from the chiefs game, they expected him to be a consistent and reliable target and he wasn’t. I don’t think the expectations were too high either, kid just had a lot of bad games. 

34 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Well our current #2 has a gut and zero muscle definition, going against NFL corners. 

I think most fans accept that the Bills trusted Gabe to step up and he failed. 

He plays out Year 4 and then leaves. 

In the meantime, Bills have this season and will need to use next season finding replacements for Gabe and hedging against the inevitable Diggs decline due to age. 

I think the goal is to bring in a vet who can compete with him for snaps.  Be it Agholor, Jones, Slayton etc.  Also options for trade like Cooks.  I'd also like to see someone drafted in the mid-round area like a Tillman or Mingo.  Get some serious size and athleticism on the outside, and can bring them along slowly.  

Diggs - Vet - Davis - Rook

Slot - Shakir, Mckenzie (im ok with moving on from him but he's under contract, cheap, knows the offense)

On 2/20/2023 at 11:46 PM, GunnerBill said:

Do the Bills? No. Do Bills fans? Yes, some. He is a lower end #2 receiver but there are folks on here saying he is a #3 or a #4 and that is plain wrong. Spotrac's projections are not always my cup of tea but Michael Gallop as a comparator for Gabe makes a ton of sense. Similar level of player. A lower end #2 who makes big plays but has a low catch rate. 

Yes, this.

And in fairness, receivers who mostly are targeted for long passes are going to have a lower catch rate. Nature of the beast.

But still, Gabe could work on his hands a bit more.

• Like (+1) 2

If Gabe Dais can improve his consistency on catchable passes, he can be a decent to good #2 WR.  It is possible - look no further than Dawson Knox who improved his catch rate and it took a few years, but Zay Jones has become a reliable receiver.  

In general, I think that we as fans are a bit quick to write off young players.  Now, I'm not saying that Davis WILL improve, nor am I saying that they should not invest in competition for him. 

This morning, I read a 2020 redraft for the first round by the Athletic.  Gabe Davis was in that article as a late #1 pick.  If that is how the league values him now, the Bills fans need to come to grips with that situation.  He may yet be great next season.  time will tell.  what will the Bills do?  with the millstone of the V Miller contract around their necks, lots of disappointment ahead for Bills fans.  V Miller, as it is turning out, is a big miss for $75 mil or so over three years since Miller missed half of 22 and will be mostly late arrival in 23. (see Tre White)  And, at 35, will V Miller be anything llike his old self in 24?  Perhaps not.

We went from him being a solid draft pick to being a star to now being a bum. 

honestly, he’s probably exactly what he should be where he was drafted. Inconsistency is what separates nfl players from stars and David clearly isn’t a star and that’s ok. But still like the guy as 3rd or 4th option. Also watch without the pressure, he had his best season just in time for free agency (and they definitely aren’t paying him).

3 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I think the goal is to bring in a vet who can compete with him for snaps.  Be it Agholor, Jones, Slayton etc.  Also options for trade like Cooks.  I'd also like to see someone drafted in the mid-round area like a Tillman or Mingo.  Get some serious size and athleticism on the outside, and can bring them along slowly.  

Diggs - Vet - Davis - Rook

Slot - Shakir, Mckenzie (im ok with moving on from him but he's under contract, cheap, knows the offense)

I like cutting McKenzie. 

Don't bring Brown, Beasley, Kumerow or Crowder back. 

Sign Olamide Zaccheaus and Darius Slayton. 

Then draft a R1 WR. 

This flushes out the Bottom 3 WRs. 

Cheap veterans this team can afford in their mid-20's. 

Elite traits WR that buffers Gabe Davis leaving after next year. 

Regardless, Beane has to have it in his head that one #1 WR is not enough. Diggs is not enough. Stack weapons. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Read the article. It's not 1 year it's all 3 years. 

2020 = 56.5%

2021 = 55.6%

2022 = 51.6%

He has one of the lowest catch % in the NFL over all 3 years & it's been declining each year. This is who he is, a low catch % WR. 

I think this stat should come with more information. Davis’ attempts are way down field than like a slot guy for instance so it should be lower. The % probably drops every 5 yards you go down the field. 

it would be more interesting to see Davis compared to guys who play similar to him. Maybe MVS of the Chiefs. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/ValdMa00.htm

very similar and Davis is actually better. Davis wasn’t good enough this year but stats can be very misleading. 

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes, this.

And in fairness, receivers who mostly are targeted for long passes are going to have a lower catch rate. Nature of the beast.

But still, Gabe could work on his hands a bit more.

Of the top 30 WR's in the NFL based on average depth of target

Gabe is:

5th in ADOT

24th in drop%

17th in passer rating when targeted

20th in YAC/R

On 2/20/2023 at 5:57 PM, GunnerBill said:

Fair but they didn't have the production indicators to match. Gabe's production indicators put him as a mediocre #2. I said that when Bills fans were tipping him for 1,000 yard seasons. I also say it now. He is a #2 receiver. He is capable of being that and has demonstrated that fact. 

Doesn't mean I don't think the Bille should be trying to upgrade. I do. I was arguing they hadn't done enough at receiver all last summer as well you know.

he’s currently a number 2 the way fitz was a starting qb- great off the bench but not getting it done on the level many teams have. 

the difference being Davis could put it together but right now he is limited and in a “as strong as your weakest link” sense if we add a lineman or two he could be that guy next year 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think this stat should come with more information. Davis’ attempts are way down field than like a slot guy for instance so it should be lower. The % probably drops every 5 yards you go down the field. 

it would be more interesting to see Davis compared to guys who play similar to him. Maybe MVS of the Chiefs. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/ValdMa00.htm

very similar and Davis is actually better. Davis wasn’t good enough this year but stats can be very misleading. 

He's an inconsistent pass catcher. Some games he's on, others he's off. Thus he's 50%. It's not just stats, it's visible when you watch the games. His route tree is limited, his foot work is slow & he can't separate easily, which is why he has to go way down field. He can't separate & get the needed shorter intermediate catches with any kind of consistency. We can & should upgrade from him @ WR2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.