In light of Beane’s weak drafting maybe he should move up in the early rounds.

Tipster19

1 hour ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

You don't need 2 1st round corners for a zone defense. Over-prioritized.

A lot of good it did us against Cincinnati.

I wonder what Josh Allen could do with WRs like that?

Na, let's have 2 of 3 starting WRs be dudes who can't catch while we burn 2nds and 3rds on defensive backups.

Be honest, did you or anyone else have an issue with Gabe Davis being our 2nd WR at this time last season?

Please show me a post from last off-season where you were saying WR was a weakness.

Last off-season the Bills were looked upon as a big favorite to win the SB for a reason.

Edited by Beast
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

And people actually wanted another corner in the 2nd last year after taking one in the 1st. :lol:

Most people tend to look at the draft in a vacuum, as a bunch of individual players/positions, not as a unit in a big picture mentality.  This leads to the thinking that if "oh, if we could only get [this] player who would put up huge stats we'd be great." 

But it's much more of a zero-sum game and if you're going to build a great TEAM, then a big-picture approach is necessary.  ... despite Beane not even hitting on most of his picks for where they were taken.  (i.e.  Oliver's good, but hardly 9th overall good)  So far we haven't seen that under McBeane.  

One simple example is that for every defensive player you draft, you can't draft an offensive one.  Common sense but seemingly overlooked by McBeane.  And again, a mere one example in a list that runs on.  But it seems that Beane lacks simple understanding of the Draft in that way.  Without having landed Allen, McD likely wouldn't have been extended and Beane likely wouldn't be here anymore, and we'd be talking about "The last 25 Years." 

The reason why we're as good as we are, after Allen, and we're no better than what we were over "The last 20 Years" without him, had more to do with free agents, not or draftees.  

You're much better off with a team full of above-average players at all positions and no superstars, than you are with two or three superstars and a bunch of mediocre and fair players otherwise. 

29 minutes ago, wppete said:

I think if Beane screws this draft also he should be fired. 

Like I said minutes ago, we go from being the envy of the league 6 months ago to wanting our GM fired.

I get the disappointment. All of us are disappointed in the way our season progressed and ended but get the hell over it and look at the big picture. This team still has a lot of talent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, Beast said:

Be honest, did you or anyone else have an issue with Gabe Davis being our 2nd WR at this time last season?

Please show me a post from last off-season where you were saying WR was a weakness.

Last off-season the Bills were looked upon as a big favorite to win the SB for a reason.

I've been pounding the table for a 1st round, or early-round WR every year for a long time.

I didn't want Davis to be the only option. It was very much up in the air whether he could be the prolific full-time starter we needed him to be. Last year my attitude was 'yes we have Davis who has a chance to be good but don't get caught with your pants down at such an important spot.' Also if Davis works out and so does the new draft pick, great, now you have three of em!

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

Like I said minutes ago, we go from being the envy of the league 6 months ago to wanting our GM fired.

I get the disappointment. All of us are disappointed in the way our season progressed and ended but get the hell over it and look at the big picture. This team still has a lot of talent.

Josh and the offense were bipolar all season.  For my money it stemmed from the Daboll to Dorsey change.

I'm not saying Daboll was elite as OC but the team on O had a scheme and a way to set up Ds.

Dorsey did a lot of good things but couldn't put good "specific" game plans together to take advantage of the oppositions D's

weaknesses as well as Daboll.  Us fans will just have to hope that Dorsey improves at his job.  You can't change the OC again IMO.

Next year will tell if Ken is the guy or not.

Beane has to improve the OL and with some innovative offensive play calling all will be better.

The continuous injuries on D were a challenge.  Some important UFAs will walk this year and Beane will have to plug that the best he can.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I've been pounding the table for a 1st round, or early-round WR every year for a long time.

I didn't want Davis to be the only option. It was very much up in the air whether he could be the prolific full-time starter we needed him to be. Last year my attitude was 'yes we have Davis who has a chance to be good but don't get caught with your pants down at such an important spot.' Also if Davis works out and so does the new draft pick, great, now you have three of em!

For a long time?

They did use a 1st to get Diggs. That counts in my book and pretty much everyone else’s.

Please, again, the Bills were a legit favorite to win the SB 6 months ago. If you can point me to a post of yours that said WR was a weakness last off-season I’ll be quiet and tip my hat to you.

You know what was a weakness? CB was. Our #1 was recovering from and ACL and our 2 guy was signed by the Steelers in free agency. Taking Elam where they did made perfect sense and the kid, IMO, showed well.

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

For a long time?

They did use a 1st to get Diggs. That counts in my book and pretty much everyone else’s.

Please, again, the Bills were a legit favorite to win the SB 6 months ago. If you can point me to a post of yours that said WR was a weakness last off-season I’ll be quiet and tip my hat to you.

You know what was a weakness? CB was. Our #1 was recovering from and ACL and our 2 guy was signed by the Steelers in free agency. Taking Elam where they did made perfect sense and the kid, IMO, showed well.

Diggs is one guy. You start 3 WRs. Yes, I've wanted a 1st round WR every year for a long time. Do whatever the h*** you want with your hat.

• Vomit 1

22 minutes ago, Beast said:

I wouldn't let Beane off the hook that easily. Yes, Davis looked ready to step into the #2 role, but Beane didn't have a backup plan in case he wasn't ready, just like he had no backup plan if Saffold and/or Brown failed. As it happens, all three did. The GM doesn't get a pass because his judgment matched the consensus on a fan forum. He's got to do his homework. He didn't. Not on those three, or Araiza, or Bernard, whom he obviously overvalued. 

I'm not expecting perfection. But I'm not impressed by Beane's recent performance. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, finn said:

I wouldn't let Beane off the hook that easily. Yes, Davis looked ready to step into the #2 role, but Beane didn't have a backup plan in case he wasn't ready, just like he had no backup plan if Saffold and/or Brown failed. As it happens, all three did. The GM doesn't get a pass because his judgment matched the consensus on a fan forum. He's got to do his homework. He didn't. Not on those three, or Araiza, or Bernard, whom he obviously overvalued. 

I'm not expecting perfection. But I'm not impressed by Beane's recent performance. 

The Bills were being praised early on as having the best depth in the NFL.

So Tre White will miss a few months...panic? Mortgage the future and make a poor decision for your roster? You ignore huge needs on offense because you have a short-term injury? Now Tre White is back and we have a waste of resources and poor talent around Josh Allen.

Really WR should have been addressed prior to that draft though, I'll give you that. But Kaiir Elam was a luxury pick on a roster that wasn't as good as they thought it was.

No he was a forced pick on a roster that had taken its 3 stars in defensive backfield for granted. 

• Haha (+1) 1

But Kaiir Elam was a luxury pick on a roster that wasn't as good as they thought it was.

Based on the behind-the-scenes footage the team released and the looks on the faces of Beane & Gray when KC moved up and drafted McDuffie, I think Elam was a panic pick after KC took their guy.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Beast said:

For a long time?

The Bills themselves only have one WR anywhere approaching the ballpark of elite, PLUS a lack of depth. Maybe work on that deficiency so you don't become the Packers wasting Aaron Rodgers 'cause you stubbornly left his weapons locker light.

Time to be quiet then, if your word means the bandwidth it's written on. Eat your hat out, Beasty! :lol:

Edited by 2020 Our Year For Sure

10 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Based on the behind-the-scenes footage the team released and the looks on the faces of Beane & Gray when KC moved up and drafted McDuffie, I think Elam was a panic pick after KC took their guy.

This is not what happened. The Bills were never drafting McDuffie. You can take that to the bank.

8 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Time to be quiet then, if your word means the bandwidth it's written on. Eat your hat out, Beasty! :lol:

I also said multiple times last offseason that receiver was a weakness so on that we are in agreement. But what you are doing is obssessing over 1 pick - Elam in your case because he is literally the only corner Beane has ever taken in the first two days of the draft in 5 years and 15 picks - a bit like the people in Green Bay who obssess over the Jordan Love pick as being the reason Rodgers had no receivers (when in fact Green Bay's issue WAS multiple day 1&2 picks used on defensive backs to no avail). 

The Bills overinvestment for limited return has been on the defensive line. Pure and simple. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I also said multiple times last offseason that receiver was a weakness so on that we are in agreement. But what you are doing is obssessing over 1 pick - Elam in your case because he is literally the only corner Beane has ever taken in the first two days of the draft in 5 years and 15 picks - a bit like the people in Green Bay who obssess over the Jordan Love pick as being the reason Rodgers had no receivers (when in fact Green Bay's issue WAS multiple day 1&2 picks used on defensive backs to no avail). 

The Bills overinvestment for limited return has been on the defensive line. Pure and simple. 

I agree Elam was not the only misstep. I'm talking about it because the criticism still gets pushback, at this point nobody is deluding themselves into thinking Epenesa and Basham were great picks so there's no discussion. Your attempt to shame me into not disagreeing with you with a word like "obsession" is a real gas.

The Elam pick was poor team-building strategy, and it did represent over-investment for a limited return. A premium asset and we're getting very little out of it, both short- and long-term. The Bills system de-emphasizes cornerbacks.

• Disagree 1

Well, I think Beane is one of the best GM's in the game. A healthy Von Miller likely changes the narrative of these comments. Beane took over one of the worst cap space messes imaginable and created a roster that is pretty impressive most weeks. I am more disappointed in the coaching than Brandon Beane. He does his job. 

Maybe he can move up to 9, and draft an undersized DT.

Seriously, though. It's about scouting. Scouting of prospects, and scouting of self (team). Not about where you draft so much. Mixing in a little luck wouldn't hurt.

Edited by somnus00
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is not what happened. The Bills were never drafting McDuffie. You can take that to the bank.

I know that’s been your opinion based on scheme but the footage tells a different story.

KC’s general manager also alluded to him thinking that Beane wanted McDuffie.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.