2023 Yankees thread.........Domingo German pitches perfect game

BADOLBILZ

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Last place. How does Cashman still have a job. 

Cashman isn't creating any synergy with his moves..........but ultimately the lack of lineup depth is on Hal Steinbrenner.

When you have 30 consecutive winning seasons you never draft high.   You need to EXPECT to be by far the highest spending team by this time.   Drawing the line at the Cohen tax and hanging on to dead weight like Hicks because of his salary was just idiotic.   He would have washed out of the league a couple years ago without that contract.  Harrison Bader?  League average hitter with injury issues and hits from right side.   They shouldn't have gone into the season with these guys figuring prominently in their OF mix.

Cashman should be gone,  because other GM's have proven they can get more talent than the sum of their capital indicates they should have.........but Hal knew what he had in Cashman and should have kept spending if he wasn't going to make a change.   They aren't the Red Sox or Mets just a year or two removed from losing seasons and drafting high......they've never had any kind of reset at all since the early 1990's.

On the plus side.........pitching coach Matt Blake continues to be a difference maker........THAT guy squeezes production out of a pitching staff.   If they had some bats at the bottom of the lineup they'd be doing well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

They are a brutally boring team. I personally thought that giving judge all that money was crazy given that he's likely entering his decline phase given his age (e.g., Stanton and Pujols). I'm not opposed to spending all that money, but I would have spent it on a few upper tier players in their 20s rather than on just one massive-frame player who just turned 31. And how predictable was Stanton going down with another muscle-related injury? 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

They are a brutally boring team. I personally thought that giving judge all that money was crazy given that he's likely entering his decline phase given his age (e.g., Stanton and Pujols). I'm not opposed to spending all that money, but I would have spent it on a few upper tier players in their 20s rather than on just one massive-frame player who just turned 31. And how predictable was Stanton going down with another muscle-related injury? 

Their payroll used to be 80% of their revenue back in the early 2000's.    George gauged profit in the millions.   Hal has payroll at 30-40% of revenue and gauges it in hundreds of millions.  He is the reason they don't win championships.   Both because he won't spend what it takes and because he refuses to change his management team because he's not compelled to win at the expense of decreasing profits.  And that's how greed works........the more you make the more you want.  As much as the draft is seen by some as a crap shoot........the top 10 is still typically where teams get superstars and they haven't sniffed a top 10 pick in decades.   The Judge contract is a pittance in the grand scheme of a team with $900M+ revenues.   Signing Ohtani at $50M aav barely moves the needle compared to George either.   Now they are forced to on-the-job train 3-4 modestly talented rookies to fill roles all at the same time.   That's going to be painful to watch them learn how to hit major league pitching.  Hopefully if they don't get the ship righted they bring up even more young players and at least set a foundation for their ultimate plan........which is 7 positional starters on entry deals and under team control for several more years by 2025. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/1/2023 at 12:41 PM, dave mcbride said:

Imagine if the New York Yankees didn’t sign Aaron Judge how boring using your words this Yankees might be? The Yankees to me needed to sign Aaron Judge and it’s peanuts compared to what the Yankees bring in revenue wise with Aaron Judge in the Yankees lineup. The Yankees problem is there farm system isn’t producing enough Aaron Judges, Derek Jeter and Bernie Williams 5 tool players anymore like they use to. And Hal Steinbrenner is cheap compared to George Steinbrenner, less hands on which is a problem. Because Hal Steinbrenner gives off like Buffalo Sabres hockey owner Terry Pegula a doesn’t care vibe which doesn’t help. The Yankees should have fired both Brian Cashman and Aaron Boone last year when they had the chance in my opinion. Go Yankees! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This would blow if he had to go on the IL.

Chris Kirschner on Twitter: "Aaron Judge when asked if he might have a broken toe: "It's tough to say. I've never broken a toe. We'll see what the tests say. I don't want to throw anything out there." Asked if it's a possible IL: "If I'm on it, I'm on it. I'm trying not to be but I got no answer yet."" / Twitter

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Gregg said:

This would blow if he had to go on the IL.

Chris Kirschner on Twitter: "Aaron Judge when asked if he might have a broken toe: "It's tough to say. I've never broken a toe. We'll see what the tests say. I don't want to throw anything out there." Asked if it's a possible IL: "If I'm on it, I'm on it. I'm trying not to be but I got no answer yet."" / Twitter

MLB needs to get serious about changing the walls that they have at ballparks so they are more forgiving of collisions.    They want he players to be more athletic but  they have to make business decisions near the wall and then you have crazy anomaly's like the Dodgers stadium with that concrete lip that Judge hit.

Judge has been by far the best player in the game the past month and overall since the beginning of 2022.   It would be bad for baseball to lose him but if it's a turf toe or something it could be really debilitating.

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

MLB needs to get serious about changing the walls that they have at ballparks so they are more forgiving of collisions.    They want he players to be more athletic but  they have to make business decisions near the wall and then you have crazy anomaly's like the Dodgers stadium with that concrete lip that Judge hit.

Judge has been by far the best player in the game the past month and overall since the beginning of 2022.   It would be bad for baseball to lose him but if it's a turf toe or something it could be really debilitating.

They should go back to lower walls made out of wood so they have more give then concrete they use today. I love Yankees Stadium 1 before the renovations after the 1973 seasons. The Yankees stadium walls were a lot lower like Fenway Park the lower wall opposite side of the Green Monster. I would also like a deeper Yankees Stadium center field with the Yankees monuments on the field of play again like before 1976. I would also like the NFL to move the field goal posts forward to the goal line again like the CFL does because it makes sense. You have to have the football go over the goal line or goal posts for the score. Also the football players should be able to bat the football off the goal post if the kick is low in my opinion. Go Yankees! Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Haha (+1) 1

The best part of the MLB season is here............when all of the teams for every organization are playing games from June thru the end of August or early September.

Here is a link to some of the top 17-20 year old Yankees prospects playing in the short season Florida Coast and Dominican Summer Leagues:

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2023/6/8/23753365/yankees-rookie-league-prospects-top-arias-delgado-serna-montero-lagrange-lalane-urena-mayea-gonzalez    

You can track all of the daily the box scores in the Yankees organization thru the link in the original post.

Keiner Delgado is a very short middle infielder with Altuve-like traits and power.....but as a switch hitter.

Roderick Arias SS was the top international prospect in the world a couple years ago.........also a switch hitter who has drawn comps to Francisco Lindor

Brandon Mayea was the Yanks top organizational signee in the last signing period and is a very fast right handed hitting CF whose bat has drawn comps to Gary Sheffield. 

These guys all gotta' prove they can control the strike zone and identify and hit breaking pitches etc........but on the hoof the Yanks lower minors are exceptionally talented.

Their very top prospects in A and AA are guys like 2022 and 2021 1st rounders Spencer Jones and Trey Sweeney along with Yanks #1 prospect Jasson Dominguez........and they all bring a lot of power from the left side(Dominguez is a switch hitter) and are showing flashes of great skill......but have far too many strikeouts to be very close to the majors, IMO.

More advanced prospects like Austin Wells (C),  Oswald Peraza and out-of-options Estevan Florial are having very big seasons and may all spend time in the majors(again for Peraza) this season.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Not Yankees but just heard on MLB in a cool segment about Arraez (who I really like) that it was 9 years ago that my all time favorite player, Tony Gwynn, passed away.  It seems like yesterday.  I wish he were still around to talk about Arraez.

• Sad 1

Saw on the highlights Cole grandstanding and trying to get on TV wagging his finger.  Perfect clown for a clown organization.  I feel bad for Harrison Bader going from a world class organization into that trash heap.  Did they really pick their shortstop because his name sounds Italian and the other, superior, player has a Hispanic name and is tearing up the minors?  I’d take him in a trade but we have Masyn Winn on the way, but unlike. Volpe, he is getting proper development.

Edited by 4merper4mer

• BADOLBILZ changed the title to 2023 Yankees thread.........Domingo German pitches perfect game

Watching the Yankees play my underperforming Cards has given me some thankfulness.  We are down this year but it’s through some bad breaks some guys just not having good years.  At least we still have a well run organization.  

The Yankees are literally playing this guy named Anthony Volpe who is CLEARLY not ready for. MLB.  Just today he almost threw one away on an easy play where he lost a pop in the sun, then he stupidly sac bunted with one out in the 7th down two runs.  He needs more time in the minors but the Yankees will ruin him because their fan base likes guys with Italian names.  They are a joke.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Watching the Yankees play my underperforming Cards has given me some thankfulness.  We are down this year but it’s through some bad breaks some guys just not having good years.  At least we still have a well run organization.  

The Yankees are literally playing this guy named Anthony Volpe who is CLEARLY not ready for. MLB.  Just today he almost threw one away on an easy play where he lost a pop in the sun, then he stupidly sac bunted with one out in the 7th down two runs.  He needs more time in the minors but the Yankees will ruin him because their fan base likes guys with Italian names.  They are a joke.

The Cardinals are just getting a bad break with some guys not having good years? :lol:  Nobody has more hitters having seasons below reasonable expectation than the Yankees.    They are playing quad A players like Jake Bauers and Billy McKinney and among the vets,  with Judge on the shelf,  the only proven major leaguers who are hitting up to their career norms are #8 and #9 lever hitters like Masterson Bader and IBS.   What the Yankees can do that the Cardinals cannot is pitch.   Especially their MLB best bullpen.  Which is in good part because their pitching development program lead by Matt Blake is now among the very best in MLB.  That's why they are 8 games over .500 and the Cardinals.......who have plenty of hitters having very good seasons.......are 13 games under.   

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Cardinals are just getting a bad break with some guys not having good years? :lol:  Nobody has more hitters having seasons below reasonable expectation than the Yankees.    They are playing quad A players like Jake Bauers and Billy McKinney and among the vets,  with Judge on the shelf,  the only proven major leaguers who are hitting up to their career norms are #8 and #9 lever hitters like Masterson Bader and IBS.   What the Yankees can do that the Cardinals cannot is pitch.   Especially their MLB best bullpen.  Which is in good part because their pitching development program lead by Matt Blake is now among the very best in MLB.  That's why they are 8 games over .500 and the Cardinals.......who have plenty of hitters having very good seasons.......are 13 games under.   

Do you think it’s possible that Bader declined and was easily replaced by Nootbaar is because of the Yankees superior organization?  Shirley.  What starting pitchers have developed with the Yankees over the last 10 or so years that have had viable careers?  Who are you even bragging about?  Michael King?  That team is constantly going out and buying names that inevitably crap out.  At least Cole is better than the turds the Mets bought but still.

What do you get when you throw three sliders two feet outside the zone to Stanton?  A strikeout, that’s what.  

At times they draft pretty well.  I think Volpe has talent for example but he’ll turn out to be not much because the Yankees are rushing him because he’s Italian like a lot of their fan base.  They’re teaching him genius moves like bunting late in the game with one out down two runs.  Lol.   They need him in MLB to keep the fan base wolves at bay while they have crap results.  Meanwhile the superior Pereza is in AAA.  We’ve been patient with Jordan Walker.  Let’s check back in three years to see how this turns out.  Matthew Liberatore will develop.  Which Yankee starter will?   Waino and Flaherty have had great careers with the Cardinals.  Who was the last Yankee to have the majority of his career at home after developing with the Yankees?  Andy Pettitte?  In 1972?  

You’re getting curb stomped by the Rays every year and now Baltimore.  You’ll keep chasing your tails signing big names for a billion dollars for years to come.  The Cards will re-set, even though it may take longer than I’d like.  Don’t worry though, Ohtani will save you.  Lol.

I will agree that losing Judge is a tough break no doubt.  He is the exception to the Yankees rule of poor player development.  I’ll also agree that the Cards have done their share of acquiring outsiders but they have been class acts like Goldie and Arenado, not morons like Stanton and Donaldson.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.