Suitable Edmunds Replacements in the draft

Chaos

7 minutes ago, noacls said:

All pro and pro bowl are not the same thing. Look it up. My point is Edmunds is overrated. Addition by subtraction

7 minutes ago, noacls said:

All pro and pro bowl are not the same thing. Look it up. My point is Edmunds is overrated. Addition by subtraction

You’re entitled to think of him as overrated, but when you have a top 3 defense by every metric, and he plays every down in a 2 LB set, and he brings down the biggest contract for an ILB in NFL history, you might be lugging around a deep seated bias. Let’s see who we replace with and how they do. He also plays through injuries, which is rare.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

Do you feel that jack campbell is that much better than him and would you take him at 27?

I think campbell has the highest floor of the mikes. He can do everything a MLB is supposed to do- but could be better in coverage. I don’t think he’s worth 27….. but I  also don’t think anyone likely to be available  for us will be worth 27.  I don’t want a Mike @ 27 but considering the draft, I get why.  I don’t like any of the later round LBs very much.  They all seem too small. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

You’re entitled to think of him as overrated, but when you have a top 3 defense by every metric, and he plays every down in a 2 LB set, and he brings down the biggest contract for an ILB in NFL history, you might be lugging around a deep seated bias. Let’s see who we replace with and how they do. He also plays through injuries, which is rare.

The defense feast on weak opponents in regular season. How do those metrics look in the playoffs? Have a great day man!

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think campbell has the highest floor of the mikes. He can do everything a MLB is supposed to do- but could be better in coverage. I don’t think he’s worth 27….. but I  also don’t think anyone likely to be available  for us will be worth 27.  I don’t want a Mike @ 27 but considering the draft, I get why.  I don’t like any of the later round LBs very much.  They all seem too small. 

I do think there's a chance that Pappoe is cut from the Devin White, Nick Bolton cloth.

But I wouldn't trust him going into the draft without a FA vet in place.

If we don't have a Mike, I think it has to be Campbell. In that case, you have to hope to trade back. If Beane can work some magic and land Campbell, Bergeron, Tippman and Hutchinson in the first four rounds it would be an amazing draft. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I do think there's a chance that Pappoe is cut from the Devin White, Nick Bolton cloth.

If we don't have a Mike, I think it has to be Campbell. In that case, you have to hope to trade back. If Beane can work some magic and land Campbell, Bergeron, Tippman and Hutchinson in the first four rounds it would be an amazing draft. 

Agreed.  Having 4 picks in the first 3 rounds should be our goal-  WR, Mike, OL and either DL or TE would be ideal.

22 minutes ago, noacls said:

The defense feast on weak opponents in regular season. How do those metrics look in the playoffs? Have a great day man!

You don’t need excuses like poor playoff results or a weak schedule or you didn’t like his hairstyle to just not like him. He’s not our problem anymore, but nationally you’re in the vast minority about his talent and value to any defense as exhibited by the monster contract. By the way, everyone sucked in this year’s playoffs, including Josh and the coaching staff.

I don;t get why people want to trade back and still expect to get Campbell. If he isn't taken in the late first he will be taken in the early second round before whatever pick we traded back into is. The biggest hurdle that was supposed to be the reason he wasn't going to go in the first round was his projected speed / 40 time which he proved isn;t an issue with his 4.65 40. Personally at this point I prefer to just take Campbell or Trenton Simpson in the first at our pick and just be happy we got a good one for years again.

Edited by dje85

On 2/17/2023 at 2:26 PM, Chaos said:

I love Jack Campbell.  Different type of player.  We need to to address offense in rounds 1 and 2.   He won't be around in round three. But he his an old school MLB.  might be wasted in the McDermott/Frazier full time prevent defense. 

I haven't seen one mock draft that has Campbell in the 1st round. If there was ever a year to trade down for an extra 2nd, this is it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I have speculated Simpson because he does seem to match up perfectly with their ideal. Jack Campbell is closer to the Platonic ideal of LB, though. I think when God thinks LB, he thinks Jack Campbell. (I'd be happy with either. Drew Sanders is probably in the conversation, too.)

Yes, Sanders definitely needs to be in the conversation! Several online scouting reports make direct comparisons between him and Tremaine Edmunds. He probably has the highest ceiling of all the LB’s in this draft and would be a nice chess piece who can also effectively rush the passer.

Campbell, meanwhile, seems to have the highest floor of them all. His scouting reports scream “PROCESS.” If Coach McDermott was a linebacker in his early 20’s, he would be Jack Campbell.

Simpson could work as an ILB, too, if the Bills make a few schematic changes to Frazier’s defense. He seems to compare more with Milano in skillset than Edmunds.

I don’t know if any of the other LB draft prospects represent much of a physical talent upgrade over Dodson and Bernard. It also doesn’t look like there is a mutual interest between Beane and Bobby Wagner. If the Bills do choose to go with a rookie MLB starter, I would at least prepare Hyde (or Milano or Poyer) to wear the green dot and let the rookie focus on adjusting to the NFL and to McDermott’s defense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, noacls said:

How do they look vs KC and Cincy you mean? There was one time I checked KCs offensive stats in the playoffs and they averaged over 30 ppg. You pretty much have to out score them or hope they have an off game.

The Bengals game sucked, it’s a game where no one showed up. Defense needed help from the offense and the offense needed help from the defense. Neither got help.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

20 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Jack Campbell feels like a lock for the Steelers organization. Would love to make him a Bill though. 

I don’t think they take him in the first, but  he won’t get by them in the second. They are going to take Joey Porter imo, if he’s there. 

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, Motorin' said:

It would not surprise me at all if the Steelers took him at 20. They can get quality OLine in the 2nd. Hell, they took Pickett at 20. We'll be lucky if Campbell makes it to 27.

On 2/17/2023 at 5:03 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

Honestly someone please….WHY did we draft Bernard? The guy is tweener that fits no where. A 6th round pick whatever…but a 3rd?! Ugh.

Cause the history of Carolina, McD and Beane they have always liked those types of guys. Thomas Davis Carolina was a converted Safety, undersized guy the beefed up to fill the role, Same with Milano, converted Safety type guy. Bernard is in that role……

I’m with you, there are LBs that are freak athletes that stack up better than hopes of converting your larger Safety/Undersized LB type players to play in the box in the NFL.

Then on top of that the Bills run Nickel 80% of the time…..

3 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Cause the history of Carolina, McD and Beane they have always liked those types of guys. Thomas Davis Carolina was a converted Safety, undersized guy the beefed up to fill the role, Same with Milano, converted Safety type guy. Bernard is in that role……

I’m with you, there are LBs that are freak athletes that stack up better than hopes of converting your larger Safety/Undersized LB type players to play in the box in the NFL.

Then on top of that the Bills run Nickel 80% of the time…..

Owen Pappoe is in that freak athlete category. At 6'1", 225, he'll have to put on 10 pounds to play Mike. But a 4.39 40 and 29 reps of 225 make him faster and stronger than Devin White.

I haven't taken the close look that he deserves, but I'm very curious about this guy. 

45 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don’t think they take him in the first, but  he won’t get by them in the second. They are going to take Joey Porter imo, if he’s there. 

Yeah, they have the 32nd pick from the Bears and then 49 I believe.

On 2/17/2023 at 4:26 PM, Chaos said:

I love Jack Campbell.  Different type of player.  We need to to address offense in rounds 1 and 2.   He won't be around in round three. But he his an old school MLB.  might be wasted in the McDermott/Frazier full time prevent defense. 

Don't know much about him but from what is on here I'm in !! Make it so number 1 .

Edited by T master

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.