Suitable Edmunds Replacements in the draft

Chaos

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Let Edmunds go, and draft Simpson?

Honestly, let Edmunds walk and sign a cheaper FA. 

With only 6-picks, its starting to look like the Bills are going to have to trade back and acquire more picks. 

When you listen to Locked on Bills, its like Bills should take a middle rounder S, LB, DT, DE. There aren't enough draft picks for this. 

Yeah I think they will go vet, but not dirt cheap vet, middle/high tier. Germaine Pratt, Drue Tranquill, Cole Holcomb, Leighton Vander Esch, Anthony Walker Jr, Bobby Okereke…any of those guys can come in, don the green dot make the calls etc. They also fit the scheme. 

One outside the box trade idea is Zaven Collins…I’m guessing the Gannon is going to want to bring TJ Edwards over to run his defense. Maybe Collins becomes available.  

I think there a couple of guys in the draft who could step right in an start right away, make all the calls and have the trust of the staff right away and those are Campbell, Simpson, Sewell. The rest of the guys probably won’t be able to step right in as a starter right away, that’s just my opinion. 

I think, if Edmunds is gone, one of those guys is probably his replacement, young vets or rookies. 

8 hours ago, dpberr said:

There are linebackers in this draft that I'd argue are better than T. Edmunds.  I think some of them have better football instincts coming out of college than he did.  

My criticism of Edmunds is that he's 70% amazing athlete, 30% football player, and he lacks the football instincts that makes for a superstar linebacker.  He plays with less hesitation now, years later as he understands the game more.  Linebacker is a position where you want more instinct, more understanding of the game. 

There is a related problem. Having a defense that only works if you one particular guy running it, seems like strategy doomed to failure. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/17/2023 at 6:03 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

Honestly someone please….WHY did we draft Bernard? The guy is tweener that fits no where. A 6th round pick whatever…but a 3rd?! Ugh.

I’m convinced Beane had been caught on film doing something unmentionable in Oregon and the judge was Bernard’s dad, this was the punishment.

8 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah I think they will go vet, but not dirt cheap vet, middle/high tier. Germaine Pratt, Drue Tranquill, Cole Holcomb, Leighton Vander Esch, Anthony Walker Jr, Bobby Okereke…any of those guys can come in, don the green dot make the calls etc. They also fit the scheme. 

One outside the box trade idea is Zaven Collins…I’m guessing the Gannon is going to want to bring TJ Edwards over to run his defense. Maybe Collins becomes available.  

I think there a couple of guys in the draft who could step right in an start right away, make all the calls and have the trust of the staff right away and those are Campbell, Simpson, Sewell. The rest of the guys probably won’t be able to step right in as a starter right away, that’s just my opinion. 

I think, if Edmunds is gone, one of those guys is probably his replacement, young vets or rookies. 

Vader Esch would be a good stop gap at what should be a very reasonable price.

58 minutes ago, Chaos said:

There is a related problem. Having a defense that only works if you one particular guy running it, seems like strategy doomed to failure. 

Along with having an offense that works with anybody calling the plays bc of JA, so every time your offense has a great season, your Offensive coaching talent is poached and your D remains stagnant.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Some more Jack Campbell…literally doing things in run and coverage I have never seen TE do. The zone drop, coming off his primary responsibility and picking the ball off is Luke Kuechly type stuff. 

I think he will blow up the combine a little. People kind of brand him the dreaded “lunch pail” moniker that implies he is unathletic. I think he is more

athletic than people think. I want this player on my team. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I’m all for trading back and getting a few extra picks - provided we address IOL and WR within the first 3 rounds. I’m high on Campbell and think if he was there in the 2nd you can’t pass him up. I would be ok with any of the following playing out:

1st round/early 2nd: IOL/WR

2nd round: Campbell or possibly Simpson if they last that long. If not, IOL/WR

3rd round: Drew Sanders, Dorian Williams, or Ivan Pace. One of these guys should be there for us. If we got Campbell or Simpson in round 2, we go IOL/WR.
4th: IOL - probably someone like Voorhis for the IOL if he even lasts that long

From here, depending on the trade back and/or whatever other picks we have, WR and S get addressed, and a late round flyer on a running back like KC did to see if we can find some gold.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/17/2023 at 6:03 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

Honestly someone please….WHY did we draft Bernard? The guy is tweener that fits no where. A 6th round pick whatever…but a 3rd?! Ugh.

I happen to be a big believer in Bernard.  You have to LOVE intangibles to be one.

He was never supposed to come in as a rookie and make a huge splash. This is a guy who will develop over time, but has the skills to be an impact player. I don't care if I get some eyerolls.  The guy can play, and will be a big contributor.

2 hours ago, Success said:

I happen to be a big believer in Bernard.  You have to LOVE intangibles to be one.

He was never supposed to come in as a rookie and make a huge splash. This is a guy who will develop over time, but has the skills to be an impact player. I don't care if I get some eyerolls.  The guy can play, and will be a big contributor.

I will say this, I was watching the Jets loss back (not sure why, self torture I guess) and Bernard was actually pretty good. I know the general consensus is that he was godawful in that game, but that isn’t true, at least to my eyes. The dude needs to get stronger. 

Now I still question why he was drafted if they didn’t plan on running more 4-3 sets. You can’t draft Matt Milano’s backup in the third. Is he any better than Taron Johnson in the box right now? Meh. But if he adds 10-15 pounds of muscle and keeps his athleticism, there could be something there…if you squint reallly really hard. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I will say this, I was watching the Jets loss back (not sure why, self torture I guess) and Bernard was actually pretty good. I know the general consensus is that he was godawful in that game, but that isn’t true, at least to my eyes. The dude needs to get stronger. 

Now I still question why he was drafted if they didn’t plan on running more 4-3 sets. You can’t draft Matt Milano’s backup in the third. Is he any better than Taron Johnson in the box right now? Meh. But if he adds 10-15 pounds of muscle and keeps his athleticism, there could be something there…if you squint reallly really hard. 

I am praying that you are right and Bernard was just one of those kids that had high potential but they didn’t plan on using last year

I’m not anticipating him being a replacement for Edmonds, but if he can come in and give us quality back up wraps, it will not be a waste of a third round pick

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/DJ-Johnson-TE-Oregon

Projected 7th round prospect.  Negative seems to be he is 24 years old. 

HEIGHT: 6-4 (89%*)    WEIGHT: 260 (98%*)
HANDS: 9 (21%*)    ARM: 33 4/8 (74%*)    
SPAN: 80 (92%*)
FORTY: 4.49 (C) (95%*)
SHUTTLE: 4.51 (P) (9%*)
10 YARD SPLIT: 1.59 (C) (70%*)

DJ Johnson from Burbank High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Johnson joined Oregon after being heavily recruited.

Elite athletic skills -- Made Bruce Feldman's Freaks List at number 4. He wrote "Johnson had a dominant showing in the Ducks’ spring game, making five TFLs and four sacks. Those numbers are as jaw-dropping as the results the 6-4, 275-pounder has produced in the Oregon training program, posting a blazing 22.88 mph on the GPS to go with a 455-pound bench and 655-pound sumo deadlift."

Tougher between the tackles than many expect. Fluid and quick drop into zone, covers enough ground to be Tampa-2 "MIKE" and knows where the markers are.

He has the strong core and powerful hands to shed blockers, and he shows excellent instincts with the ability to quickly locate the ball.

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

• Chaos changed the title to Darkhorse Rookie Candidate to be our new Mike: DJ JOHNSON, OREGON
6 minutes ago, ScorpionZero said:

I just don't see how he can replace Edmonds, has almost no experience as off ball LB, and if your gonna be the Mike on the bills you better have a good feel for zone. Maybe take him with pick 204 for a project edge rusher.

Edmunds was once an athletic freak project (except not as big , fast or strong as Beal).  Did you have pacheco identifed as a 7th rounder last year to be a difference maker for the Super Bowl winner.  

• Eyeroll 1

A 260lb LB?

I see that his shuttle is in the 9th percentile. That shows his change of direction is very slow despite being really "straight line" fast, that's definitely due to his size. LBs need to be fast changing directions, in coverage and everything else they do. I agree with the others that he's probably an Edge prospect, not a LB.

1 minute ago, 947 said:

A 260lb LB?

I see that his shuttle is in the 9th percentile. That shows his change of direction is very slow despite being really "straight line" fast, that's definitely due to his size. LBs need to be fast changing directions, in coverage and everything else they do. I agree with the others that he's probably an Edge prospect, not a LB.

Did you read the write on draft buzz. Not aligned with your conclusions at all. 

9 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Edmunds was once an athletic freak project (except not as big , fast or strong as Beal).  Did you have pacheco identifed as a 7th rounder last year to be a difference maker for the Super Bowl winner.  

Nobody in the NFL had Pacheco as a difference maker last year, including the Chiefs. They took a flyer on a fast small kid in the 7th and got lucky.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

Nobody in the NFL had Pacheco as a difference maker last year, including the Chiefs. They took a flyer on a fast small kid in the 7th and got lucky.

And that is exactly my proposition.  I guess people are not familiar with the phrase "Dark Horse"

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.