Suitable Edmunds Replacements in the draft

Chaos

On 2/17/2023 at 3:17 PM, chongli said:

So people here want defense...again...with day one or day two picks? 

If we lose Edmunds, then we will have to replace him. I would rather we find someone in free agency for that, but if that's not possible, then the draft is our only option.

As much as I want to see an offensive heavy draft, we might have to go with a defensive player with our first pick.

If Antonio Johnson is available, I would not hesitate to pick him.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/17/2023 at 4:17 PM, Chaos said:

Seems like there are several third round type players who can be suitable Edmunds replacements.  This assumes we are keeping Frazier and our scheme.  

These are two:
DeMarvion Overshown - former safety who grew up to be a linebacker

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/demarvion-overshown-9d45f5cd-68e2-4ed1-ba13-6c61db37b4b8/

DeMarvion Overshown 🔥 FREAKISH LINEBACKER ᴴᴰ  WARNING EXPLICIT LYRICS

Drew Sanders - Projects all over the place from early second to late third

Best Linebacker in the Nation 💪 | Drew Sanders 2022 Arkansas Highlights 🐗 || HD

I'll take me a order of Drew Sanders please make that to go, Oh & could you package that & send it to 1 Bills Drive via door dash ?

With Attention ; Brandon Beane . Thank you so very much !!! Have a nice day ...

56 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm good on more small linebackers. Size wins in the NFL. It's a trait that Beane has not put enough stock in. I don't want us approaching the offseason with the mindset of just filling positions on defense. It's more about finding the type of player we are missing. Brutal, mean, imposing. Edmunds finally had a very good year but you wouldn't use any of those words to describe his play. Ditto for Milano. Terrel Bernard was supposedly a "heart and soul" guy at Baylor. I want muscle and sinew. It's why I have grown to love the idea of Jack Campell in the 2nd. You watch clips of him and nobody is moving him backwards, he is stopping runners dead in their tracks and even dragging them backwards in some cases. We don't have anyone on defense with that ability right now. Edmunds even when in the right position often gets taken for a ride by the ball carrier. It's part of our overall defensive mindset - "giving up 6 yards is okay." But it isn't okay. Giving up 0 yards is the goal. I'd like our player evaluation to start matching that reality.

Yeah I hear ya. Jack has been my guy for awhile. I think Noah Sewell gives you that type of impact as well, though I like Campbell better.

Holcomb is that Luke Keuchly size, 6-2, 240…so I wouldn’t call him small by any stretch, but some of his production could be attributed to the guys on that D line in front of him. 

I also think you get that solid wall with Germaine Pratt. 6-2, 245 of just solid mass running 4.5 who plays with an edge and was rightfully pissed when Ossai hit Mahomes out of bounds. Pratt is my dude and I think signing him hurts the Bengals. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2

On 2/18/2023 at 6:37 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

Noah Sewell

My son is a huge Oregon fan lives about two minutes away from the stadium and tried iout for them at one point he knows everything about Oregon football and loves this player

They were both linebackers

3 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

I’m confident Beane will not let one of his best draft picks go. I mean he says the goal is to develop and retain top talent. 

This year beane is in a unique situation. We have always had plenty of money to play with and not a lot of our own picks to have to re-sign in the past this year. Tough choices are going to have to be made. Edmonds might price him right himself right out of our price point

I would like to have them back, but if we can’t have him back, we can’t afford a drop off in production. Draft picks are going to have to play from here on out no more sitting behind veterans waiting for their chance.

If I had a choice of overpaying, a linebacker or building a wall around Josh Allen, I’m building a wall

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Like (+1) 4

On 2/17/2023 at 8:36 PM, newcam2012 said:

Agree. Mike Ditka could be on the board and I'd still advocate for someone on the offensive side of the ball.

People I can emphasize enough the defense isn't going to win games; especially in the playoffs. 

Load up on protecting Allen and get him weapons. He will win playoff games!

Mike Ditka was a tight end in the NFL.   That's an offensive postion.    Although he did also play defense in college.

Maybe you mean Dick Butkus?

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/17/2023 at 5:17 PM, Chaos said:

Seems like there are several third round type players who can be suitable Edmunds replacements.  This assumes we are keeping Frazier and our scheme.  

These are two:
DeMarvion Overshown - former safety who grew up to be a linebacker

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/demarvion-overshown-9d45f5cd-68e2-4ed1-ba13-6c61db37b4b8/

DeMarvion Overshown 🔥 FREAKISH LINEBACKER ᴴᴰ  WARNING EXPLICIT LYRICS

Drew Sanders - Projects all over the place from early second to late third

Best Linebacker in the Nation 💪 | Drew Sanders 2022 Arkansas Highlights 🐗 || HD

Chaos, your title to this thread is kind of an oxymoron (and no, I am not calling you that lol) 

Saying a draft pick will replace Edmunds is like using a crystal ball. The draft is a crap shoot. Could be better, worse or the same and to each extreme. 

This player has the potential yep, I will agree. BUT!!! I would never use "Suitable Edmunds Replacements in the draft" on any player replacing Edmunds because Edmunds is far from the best and much further from backup caliber. You never know in the draft. I LIKE THE PICK THOUGH :D 

• Disagree 1

On 2/17/2023 at 3:02 PM, Victory Formation said:

Draft one, sign one.

In the Draft:

1.) DeMarvion Overshown

2.) Jack Campbell

3.) Drew Sanders

Free Agency:

1.) Leighton Vander Esch

2.) Jordan Jenkins (Tweener/have him lose weight)

I'm a Vander Esch fan and he completely fits the attitude McBean loves. But he's more of an old school LB, he reads and runs down hill to make a tackle. Fraziers D asks their LBs to do alot in coverage and be space eaters in the middle of the feild. That's not Vander Eschs game, though he is tall and lanky he's more old school style. It would be getting an upgraded version of AJ Kleins style of game.

On 2/17/2023 at 6:05 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah he’s probably the first one off the board. Dude can play. He’s better than Nick Bolton. I have no issue grabbing him in the first. 

Dude. Absolute stud.

Let Edmunds go, and draft Simpson?

Honestly, let Edmunds walk and sign a cheaper FA. 

With only 6-picks, its starting to look like the Bills are going to have to trade back and acquire more picks. 

When you listen to Locked on Bills, its like Bills should take a middle rounder S, LB, DT, DE. There aren't enough draft picks for this. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Let Edmunds go, and draft Simpson?

Honestly, let Edmunds walk and sign a cheaper FA. 

With only 6-picks, its starting to look like the Bills are going to have to trade back and acquire more picks. 

When you listen to Locked on Bills, its like Bills should take a middle rounder S, LB, DT, DE. There aren't enough draft picks for this. 

I think they Bills need to borrow from the future.  Trade the 24 first round pick (which God Willing is 29th to 32nd) for a second third and fourth (or something like that)

5 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I had a dream that Edmunds went to Baltimore and I'm like what the heck they just signed their LB to big money already. But if they don't sign Lamar maybe they are loading up on defense instead and hope to win games 3-0 lol

they could probably make the playoffs doing that. but not much more. 

On 2/19/2023 at 3:13 PM, HappyDays said:

I'm good on more small linebackers. Size wins in the NFL. It's a trait that Beane has not put enough stock in. I don't want us approaching the offseason with the mindset of just filling positions on defense. It's more about finding the type of player we are missing. Brutal, mean, imposing. Edmunds finally had a very good year but you wouldn't use any of those words to describe his play. Ditto for Milano. Terrel Bernard was supposedly a "heart and soul" guy at Baylor. I want muscle and sinew. It's why I have grown to love the idea of Jack Campell in the 2nd. You watch clips of him and nobody is moving him backwards, he is stopping runners dead in their tracks and even dragging them backwards in some cases. We don't have anyone on defense with that ability right now. Edmunds even when in the right position often gets taken for a ride by the ball carrier. It's part of our overall defensive mindset - "giving up 6 yards is okay." But it isn't okay. Giving up 0 yards is the goal. I'd like our player evaluation to start matching that reality.

Keith Ellison

John Digiorgio 

Coy Wire

John Wendling

Nic Harris

Alvin Bowen

Tony Steward

Kiko Alonso

Terrell Bernard

This team has a history of trying to convert Safety into Linebackers. 

The Bills hit on Milano, but I agree with this comment and others that the mindset of this team is to play prevent defense. 

Anything but "get beat over the top" seems to be the goal. 

Saw this posted at the Buffalo Range.

Bengals LB Germaine Pratt, age 26.   

Pratt has evolved into one of the most underrated LBs in the NFL, as he amassed 190 tackles, 3 INTs, 3 FFs, and 9 PBUs in 2021 and 2022 

Pratt’s 90.1 coverage grade was the best in the NFL and his 90.1 overall since week 8 was the top among LBs   PFF grade = 80.  Higher than Tremaine's. 

SPOTRAC is projecting a salary of $10 million AAV  vs   Tremaine Edmunds $17 - $18 million AAV

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Saw this posted at the Buffalo Range.

Bengals LB Germaine Pratt, age 26.   

Pratt has evolved into one of the most underrated LBs in the NFL, as he amassed 190 tackles, 3 INTs, 3 FFs, and 9 PBUs in 2021 and 2022 

Pratt’s 90.1 coverage grade was the best in the NFL and his 90.1 overall since week 8 was the top among LBs   PFF grade = 80.  Higher than Tremaine's. 

SPOTRAC is projecting a salary of $10 million AAV  vs   Tremaine Edmunds $17 - $18 million AAV

Yep thats my guy. I been flooding this board with that suggestion. Love Pratt. 

• Like (+1) 1

There are linebackers in this draft that I'd argue are better than T. Edmunds.  I think some of them have better football instincts coming out of college than he did.  

My criticism of Edmunds is that he's 70% amazing athlete, 30% football player, and he lacks the football instincts that makes for a superstar linebacker.  He plays with less hesitation now, years later as he understands the game more.  Linebacker is a position where you want more instinct, more understanding of the game. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.