Suitable Edmunds Replacements in the draft

Chaos

16 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

You think 3rd round draft choice Bernard can get it done? 

I think it's a bit too hard to tell from a rookie season.  I thought the pick was a reach then....  but I remain hopeful he can become at least solid depth.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, chongli said:

So people here want defense...again...with day one or day two picks? 

Depends on how the draft falls.  I'd be fine with defense but prefer O-line early and often.  I just don't think you pass on a quality linebacker, safety or corner if one slips down pretty far and it's a value pick.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Yantha said:

I think it's a bit too hard to tell from a rookie season.  I thought the pick was a reach then....  but I remain hopeful he can become at least solid depth.

I made a post a few weeks ago where I dig through old mocks to see what the consensus was on Beane’s picks before the respective drafts. Bernard was the only one of the picks that have not planned out that was a reach. I mean, a lot of mocks had Cody Ford as a first rounder. Boogie too. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Noah Sewell

Again I am not massive on comps generally but this time of year when I watch guys I start seeing guys from other recent drafts. Noah Sewell is Nick Bolton IMO. The ceiling isn't super high but the floor is high and he is a pretty safe plug and play guy.

• Like (+1) 3

I like Jack Campbell but like protecting Josh more.  It depends on where he goes and who we've taken. 

I'll throw another name out there that hasn't been mentioned, (I don't think).

Daiyan Henley Washington St.

Quick, agile, strong, great instincts.  Voted the best LB in Senior Bowl practices this year.  6'1" 230lbs.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think he fits and plays the run better, but I do agree that he may be better off in another scheme. 

It's time to change up our scheme anyways. We've done the same thing for six years with very little variation. That makes it way too easy for smart offensive coaches to take advantage. Last year we drafted a press man CB which was a nice variation that our coaches for some reason rused to utilize. If we draft a more traditional LB maybe that opens the door to call defensive plays that our opponents don't have six seasons worth of tape to dissect.

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Chaos said:

I love Jack Campbell.  Different type of player.  We need to to address offense in rounds 1 and 2.   He won't be around in round three. But he his an old school MLB.  might be wasted in the McDermott/Frazier full time prevent defense. 

First play of the video I see him do something I've never seen Edmunds do - track a tipped ball and intercept it, and even have the wherewithal to keep moving forward after catching it. He looks slow so you're correct that we would need to change up our scheme to fit him in. But instincts can make up for speed. And I love his physicality. This defense has been missing size and brutality. It's all finesse. You need a couple guys on defense that the opposing players are scared of. The more I think about it the more I would love him in round 2 if he's still there.

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

First play of the video I see him do something I've never seen Edmunds do - track a tipped ball and intercept it, and even have the wherewithal to keep moving forward after catching it. He looks slow so you're correct that we would need to change up our scheme to fit him in. But instincts can make up for speed. And I love his physicality. This defense has been missing size and brutality. It's all finesse. You need a couple guys on defense that the opposing players are scared of. The more I think about it the more I would love him in round 2 if he's still there.

My biggest fear is we commit huge dollars to Edmunds, effectively locking us into a defensive scheme, and DC, that seems to have been figured out by the good teams.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah he’s probably the first one off the board. Dude can play. He’s better than Nick Bolton. I have no issue grabbing him in the first. 

Dude. Absolute stud.

we use a 1st round draft pick on a defensive player this year, I’m out until McDermott is fired.

won’t waste my time anymore dealing with his bs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 2/17/2023 at 5:17 PM, Chaos said:

Seems like there are several third round type players who can be suitable Edmunds replacements.  This assumes we are keeping Frazier and our scheme.  

These are two:
DeMarvion Overshown - former safety who grew up to be a linebacker

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/demarvion-overshown-9d45f5cd-68e2-4ed1-ba13-6c61db37b4b8/

DeMarvion Overshown 🔥 FREAKISH LINEBACKER ᴴᴰ  WARNING EXPLICIT LYRICS

Drew Sanders - Projects all over the place from early second to late third

Best Linebacker in the Nation 💪 | Drew Sanders 2022 Arkansas Highlights 🐗 || HD

They both look pretty good but they are high light videos. I think Edmunds is pretty good but with our cap situation I don't think we can afford to resign him, we have too many other needs. Milano is 1-A and Edmunds is 1-B.

I know this thread is about draft replacements, but I have another FA target: Cole Holcomb.

If Beandon Beane really wants to stick it to Washington, he should steal this guy who has kind of become their heart and soul. He is coming off season ending foot surgery. The Bills heavily scouted Cole in 2019 but unfortunately went with the upside play in Vosean Joseph. 

Holcomb is a very smart aggressive player. He is also fast and strong and a team captain. He would be a silky smooth fit having come from Ron Rivera’s system. Being a UNC grad, the braintrust here probably saw a lot of him back in the day during his college career.  He doesn’t have the upside of a Tremaine and won’t cost nearly as much but this is the kind of solid piece that can make upd for Tremaine’s loss in a lot of ways. 

I’d probably go: Tremaine, Pratt, Tranquill, Holcomb, draft pick in that order. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I know this thread is about draft replacements, but I have another FA target: Cole Holcomb.

If Beandon Beane really wants to stick it to Washington, he should steal this guy who has kind of become their heart and soul. He is coming off season ending foot surgery. The Bills heavily scouted Cole in 2019 but unfortunately went with the upside play in Vosean Joseph. 

Holcomb is a very smart aggressive player. He is also fast and strong and a team captain. He would be a silky smooth fit having come from Ron Rivera’s system. Being a UNC grad, the braintrust here probably saw a lot of him back in the day during his college career.  He doesn’t have the upside of a Tremaine and won’t cost nearly as much but this is the kind of solid piece that can make upd for Tremaine’s loss in a lot of ways. 

I’d probably go: Tremaine, Pratt, Tranquill, Holcomb, draft pick in that order. 

I'm good on more small linebackers. Size wins in the NFL. It's a trait that Beane has not put enough stock in. I don't want us approaching the offseason with the mindset of just filling positions on defense. It's more about finding the type of player we are missing. Brutal, mean, imposing. Edmunds finally had a very good year but you wouldn't use any of those words to describe his play. Ditto for Milano. Terrel Bernard was supposedly a "heart and soul" guy at Baylor. I want muscle and sinew. It's why I have grown to love the idea of Jack Campell in the 2nd. You watch clips of him and nobody is moving him backwards, he is stopping runners dead in their tracks and even dragging them backwards in some cases. We don't have anyone on defense with that ability right now. Edmunds even when in the right position often gets taken for a ride by the ball carrier. It's part of our overall defensive mindset - "giving up 6 yards is okay." But it isn't okay. Giving up 0 yards is the goal. I'd like our player evaluation to start matching that reality.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.