Suitable Edmunds Replacements in the draft

Chaos

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is kinda positionless in this scheme though. Projects much better as a will in a 3-4.

And he won't make it to our 2nd round pick. He is a better, more experienced, big school version of Troy Anderson who went to the Falcons one pick after our original 2nd rounder last year. I think Sanders is a lock to come off the board in the first 50 picks. 

Great comp on Sanders. And I think most of these guys are going in that late 1 early second range and won’t make it to our second pick. I’m looking forward to your ranking on some of these guys. 

On Simpson, it seems they used him off the edge a lot as a blitzer, but I also think he played well in the box. I think he is a nickel linebacker and I do think he would fit well in our base 4-2-5. Is he a true mike? I’m not sure, but we don’t really have one anymore. His 2021 film has him playing a ton of sam in a 4-3 under look with Spector and Skalski stacked in the box. This year he looked pretty good off ball stacked in the box. He might be more Thomas Davis, Shaq Thompson than Luke Keuchly and that’s ok imo. But I love his traits. Also a Charlotte kid so there is a good chance McBeane saw this kid play in HS. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Whereas I think Jack could make it to our 2nd round pick and could even slide into round 3. If this was 1995 he might be a first round pick but I think his relatively pedestrian lateral movement will put some teams off. Gonna be a bit more scheme specific. I doubt the Bills see him as a fit for what they do personally, dropping into those intermediate zones and asked to pick up crossers I think he might struggle. 

I hear that. He is definitely more 4-3 mike than 4-2-5 nickel backer. I think his projection is going to come down his combine workout. I remember Luke Keuchly originally had that 2-3 round projection and blew up the combine and that all changed. I see a similar fate for Campbell. I think he is way more athletic than people think. Does he get into the top ten? No but I think late 1 early two. 

• Like (+1) 1

Can I add a sleeper name? Jalen Graham out of Purdue. Probably a day 3 pick could even go undrafted but converted safety with ball hawking ability who generally played as an outside backer in college and was used to rush the passer some but who I see as a best fit in the NFL at MLB in some of these deep drop tampa 2 type looks. Love his closing speed. He is like a missile fired out of a cannon when he closes on a ball carrier. 6'3, great range, you can leave him in man and be comfortable with it. He isn't necessarily a day 1 starter but he is a guy a team is gonna be really happy with down the road.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I hear that. He is definitely more 4-3 mike than 4-2-5 nickel backer. I think his projection is going to come down his combine workout. I remember Luke Keuchly originally had that 2-3 round projection and blew up the combine and that all changed. I see a similar fate for Campbell. I think he is way more athletic than people think. Does he get into the top ten? No but I think late 1 early two. 

Hmm. It will be the agility drills that make or break his combine. When I put his tape on I like him coming downhill. I worry about him going sideline to sideline. I have a provisional late 2nd on him. But if this was 20 or 30 years ago he would be a 1st rounder. Because he hits, he tackles, he has great instincts, his run fits are on point. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Can I add a sleeper name? Jalen Graham out of Purdue. Probably a day 3 pick could even go undrafted but converted safety with ball hawking ability who generally played as an outside backer in college and was used to rush the passer some but who I see as a best fit in the NFL at MLB in some of these deep drop tampa 2 type looks. Love his closing speed. He is like a missile fired out of a cannon when he closes on a ball carrier. 6'3, great range, you can leave him in man and be comfortable with it. He isn't necessarily a day 1 starter but he is a guy a team is gonna be really happy with down the road.

I like it. Interesting dude.

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

14 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I like it. Interesting dude.

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea he was a Shrine Game invite as well. Was one of the players who flashed that week and in the game. 

Love this sequence, gents.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm. It will be the agility drills that make or break his combine. When I put his tape on I like him coming downhill. I worry about him going sideline to sideline. I have a provisional late 2nd on him. But if this was 20 or 30 years ago he would be a 1st rounder. Because he hits, he tackles, he has great instincts, his run fits are on point. 

If we do move on from Edmonds, or he leaves in free agency, I want a linebacker with good instincts. I want that over everything else.

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I thought we drafted his replacement in 2022 with Bernard.  A RD 3 pick

This draft record is really getting disturbing 

I’m wondering what the plans are for Baylon Spector who I thought should’ve gotten more of an opportunity as a back up linebacker for us before we went out and got klein

Now I think we should resign klien and bring along a rookie

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Your addition of Graham seems to fill out the consensus in this thread that there are lots ways to move on from Edmunds (on rookie contracts)

Has anyone EVER confronted Beane on the Bernard pick? I'd love to see his response. It's picks like Bernard, Basham, Epenesa, that have me doubting Beane's thinking when it comes to defensive line picks. Bernard even looks soft. If the Bills take a step back this year, it's mostly on Beane. His D-Line picks have been mostly atrocious. Even the Oliver pick, appears to be a bust considering where he was drafted, and the fact that the Bills are NOT going to keep him.      

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Chaos said:

I love Jack Campbell.  Different type of player.  We need to to address offense in rounds 1 and 2.   He won't be around in round three. But he his an old school MLB.  might be wasted in the McDermott/Frazier full time prevent defense. 

That video shows him make some really good plays in zone coverage. Again, he’s not the athlete of Edmunds, but his instincts are just different. I love the way he dropped and got that pick off Stroud. I have yet to see Tremaine do something like that. 

I think he fits and plays the run better, but I do agree that he may be better off in another scheme. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Drew Sanders was compared to Edmunds in the NFL.com draft writeup. As he's hot the same length and experience in a 4-2-5 defense. Yet like Edmunds has boom or bust potential. 

Yeah I think Sanders is a bit of project who will take time and the kind of prospect this regime does not trust. I really like the player though. I am excited to watch him blow up the combine. 

Jack Campbell and Trenton Simpson, Noah Sewell as well, to me are step in, plug and play guys who can make all the calls and get everyone where they need to be. Sanders may end up being the best of them all, but he isn’t plug and play and these guys won’t trust him with the green dot. 

7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Watched a lot of his games as the Mrs is from Iowa and all he did is make plays. Not sure how he translates to the NFL but kid is player for sure 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.