Suitable Edmunds Replacements in the draft

Chaos

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Like I said in the other thread, if you want a replacement for Edmunds you better get Campbell or Drew Sanders. If you don’t get one of those two, you’re better off rolling with Bernard/Spector and seeing what they have. I like Dorian Williams but he’s also undersized. Pappoe, Sewell, Overstreet were all high end recruits who are good athletes but bad football players who can’t tackle. 

This LB class is that bad 

I disagree. I think there are really good players at LB all over the draft. I think Campbell and Simpson are 1-2, Sanders is a unicorn who could get drafted before both, but may not be ready to start right away, then I think there is a little gap, I love Sewell, Henley…there are some very good players who are better than the guys from last year imo. 

6 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Like I said in the other thread, if you want a replacement for Edmunds you better get Campbell or Drew Sanders. If you don’t get one of those two, you’re better off rolling with Bernard/Spector and seeing what they have. I like Dorian Williams but he’s also undersized. Pappoe, Sewell, Overstreet were all high end recruits who are good athletes but bad football players who can’t tackle. 

This LB class is that bad 

The unusual way the Bills use LBs compounds the challenge. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I disagree. I think there are really good players at LB all over the draft. I think Campbell and Simpson are 1-2, Sanders is a unicorn who could get drafted before both, but may not be ready to start right away, then I think there is a little gap, I love Sewell, Henley…there are some very good players who are better than the guys from last year imo. 

Henley I can get behind. Sewell no

Silly thread for the simple reason that in a 2 LB configuration with so much responsibility for playing primary run defense and having underneath pass defense, you’re asking a rookie to play every down competently . Why would anyone think a 3 rounder could replace a 5year all pro . I guess the Edmunds derangement syndrome has reduced his value in our defense. If we try to shoehorn a middle round draft choice as our new Edmunds, our already suspect defense will be a real weakness.

• Like (+1) 1

The Pats have McCourty with the green dot.  Is this the year to perhaps have Poyer or Hyde be the defensive signal caller, to take some load off the newbie at MLB.  With a new DC going to hopefully be a lot of changes in how we play D.

55 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

You must have him confused with someone else. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1e63de153112e47906da449dcca15075.jpeg

Whoops okay i took his shuttle time as his 40 time my bad well this is the exact reason why i drive entertainer coach & am not a NFL - GM Right ?? 😜

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, T master said:

Whoops okay i took his shuttle time as his 40 time my bad well this is the exact reason why i drive entertainer coach & am not a NFL - GM Right ?? 😜

None of  us are! But we like to think we are! I was excited about Carter and he just had a terrible workout. So I think he will drop a ton. 

Hello fellow draft geeks.

I'm hoping to enlist some help in evaluating MIDDLE linebacker prospects in this upcoming draft.  Jack Campbell is the leader of the positional group, but outside of Campbell, the Bills may need to target prospects beyond the #1 guy...

What I'm looking for is TRUE middle linebacker prospects only.

Please post your players, with some brief explanation as to why they fit (either that was their position in college, or if they could transition in the NFL).  It would also help if you could project which round they are graded.

Much thanks!

There are not many true MLB prospects in this draft. A lot of undersized guys masquerading as MLBs 

Campbell and Drew Sanders 

Then it’s Trenton Simpson who I don’t think is a Mike but others will disagree. 

Daiyon Henley from Washington State would be a good consolation prize in round 2. 

Dorian Williams is slightly undersized but covers well and can be groomed in that spot probably round 3 or 4. 

After that it gets into a what’s your flavor to fill a spot. 

Pappoe from Auburn and Overstreet from Texas both highly recruited and undersized possess great athleticism but have never put it together as football players. 

Noah Sewell from Oregon looks the part but plays like cheap tissue paper and processes slowly. 

Ivan Pace Jr from Cincinnati looks the part of a MLB but he is 5’10 and has yet to run a 40 yard dash time. Can he overcome his limitations? He was a hell of a college player in an aggressive defense at Cinci. I’m intrigued as I was very high on Malcolm Rodriguez who was drafted round 6 last year and ended up starting for the Lions. 

Last guy I’ll bring up is Anfernee Orji from Vanderbilt. Played outside there but think he can definitely play Mike in the NFL has ideal height weight speed and had good production in college. Think he could be a good NFL player

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Bills have run a 2 LB set with Milano and Edmunds and Edmunds was not a tradiotnal "middle linebacker ". Will the Bills adjust their scheme or look for a replacement that can do what Edmunds did? Is that Campbell?

Milano played alot of "traditional" mlb last year. They may just replace the wlb in the draft,and interchange the two in McD's scheme...just a thought. Milano can be an all pro again with the right running mate

1 hour ago, Yantha said:

Hello fellow draft geeks.

I'm hoping to enlist some help in evaluating MIDDLE linebacker prospects in this upcoming draft.  Jack Campbell is the leader of the positional group, but outside of Campbell, the Bills may need to target prospects beyond the #1 guy...

What I'm looking for is TRUE middle linebacker prospects only.

Please post your players, with some brief explanation as to why they fit (either that was their position in college, or if they could transition in the NFL).  It would also help if you could project which round they are graded.

Much thanks!

Anything in this thread?

On 2/17/2023 at 5:25 PM, newcam2012 said:

You think 3rd round draft choice Bernard can get it done? 

Personally, I don't. Not yet at least. But to spend a 3rd on a guy and then immediately make him a career backup by drafting someone in the 1st after 1 year of barely being worked in the system doesn't really add up to me.

My guess is they bring in a vet for a year for Bernard to learn from him and see if he can grow into the role in Year 3. And/or take another Day 2 MLB and have them compete with Bernard. But I'd be surprised to see them just plug and play a 1st Round Rookie after spending a 3rd last year on Bernard.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

20 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Silly thread for the simple reason that in a 2 LB configuration with so much responsibility for playing primary run defense and having underneath pass defense, you’re asking a rookie to play every down competently . Why would anyone think a 3 rounder could replace a 5year all pro . I guess the Edmunds derangement syndrome has reduced his value in our defense. If we try to shoehorn a middle round draft choice as our new Edmunds, our already suspect defense will be a real weakness.

Edmunds was never all pro

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.