Bills sign S Zayne Anderson to a 2 year deal

Big Turk

18 hours ago, ngbills said:

Do the same for Anderson. How many plays on defense does he have? He has less plays than any of our back up safety. Why would anyone think he is even better than Marlowe or Johnson let alone similar to Hyde and Poyer? That is dream land. I would put my money on a rookie over this guy. 

I was replying to someone to correct them that  'Poyer and Hyde were starters on nfl rosters for multiple years.' They were not.

No where did I say Anderson was any better better than Poyer and Hyde. But hey have fun making up arguments with yourself.

Oh by the way I think he is better than J Johnson because he has a pulse. OBD thought so highly of him that they brought Marlowe back and played him before putting Johnson on the field.

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I know absolutely nothing about this guy. Is he strictly a special teams guy or does he have the chops to actually play the safety position?

don't know yet, he had 110 ST snaps over 2 seasons

Edited by RocCityRoller

On 2/19/2023 at 8:21 PM, John from Riverside said:

I know absolutely nothing about this guy. Is he strictly a special teams guy or does he have the chops to actually play the safety position?

His workout numbers imply that he should be able to play there with a 4.44 forty and a big time 3 cone. 

On 2/17/2023 at 5:07 PM, Beck Water said:

You might want to distinctly revamp and revise your distinct remembrances because this guy has played zero, no, nada, 0, snaps on defense for the Chiefs in the last two seasons. Therefore, he can not have been burnt by Josh nor chased our receivers into the end zone.  Therefore your memories are...mistaken

Yes, he's an add with special teams in mind, and possibly also for some brain-picking about how the Chiefs prepare and pre-game for playoffs.

What would this site do without a walking encyclopedia like you?

On 2/20/2023 at 7:54 AM, RocCityRoller said:

I was replying to someone to correct them that  'Poyer and Hyde were starters on nfl rosters for multiple years.' They were not

Hyde started 33 games over 4 years with Packers.   

Never realized Poyer had 10 starts in his last 2 years in CLE and won the starting safety role out of training camp in 2016.  He had a season ending internal organ injury in game 6 that year.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/19/2023 at 11:23 AM, RocCityRoller said:

Ehm I have to disagree. Both Poyer and Hyde had been named a starting S for only 1 season each, and neither played 16 games as a starter in their respective starting season as a S (Poyer - 6/ Hyde -12)

Poyer:

2013 - Poyer was named 4th CB for Eagles in 2013 waived after 6 games. (2 a healthy scratch)

2013 - 2015  backup SS in Cleveland from remainder of 2013 through 2015.

2016 - He won the starting FS job in 2016, but was put on IR after 6 games.

Poyer was hardly proven. In total he started 10 games in 4 seasons prior to joining Buffalo.

Hyde was a utility DB in Green Bay. Drafted as a CB.

2013 - 5th CB

2014 - transitioned to starting FS (started 12 games)

2015 - starting Nickel CB and backup FS. Forced to start at SS for 5 games due to injury (7 total starts)

2016 - starting Nickel and backup SS. Packers did not make an official offer to retain him (11 total starts)

In total Hyde started 33 games out of 63 in Green Bay. Never was able to hold a starting position and was moved around the secondary to get his 33 starts.

Both guys had trouble cracking the starting line-up for their respective teams, much less hold down a S position.

CLE and GB had good S in guys like  TJ Ward/ Tashaun Gipson/ Morgan Burnett and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

Credit to both the players and the staff for turning them into an excellent S duo.

I think Hyde and Poyer both have very high football IQ which is needed in this scheme, and they had the athleticism to perform.

I don't know if Zane Anderson is found gold, but this coaching staff does get the most out of DB ability.

If nothing else it may free up ST cap space (Matakevitch/ T Jones etc) and upgrade the S room.

Should replace J Johnson as one backup S, and potentially fill in for Hamlin given we don't know how Hamlin will progress this offseason.

I expect to see a S drafted in the first 3-4 rounds.

This was all part of my original comment referring to my knee jerk feelings on those signings.

When we got those guys, Hyde in particular, I saw a castoff/unwanted safety from Green Bay.  Possible special-teamer.  Same-old Bills.  Poyer didnt move the needle for me either.  

Fast-forward to today and they are both wall-of-famers.  

I dont mean to imply that will always be the case, or even with Anderson... but with this coach, especially with the defensive backfield, I am willing to let them do their thing.  I am hesitant to criticize an acquisition lest be made the fool (again).  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Contract is in.  2 years for a total of $1.995M with that whopping $10k signing bonus.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/zayne-anderson-72719/

Haha I saw new post in this thread saw your avatar and knew before opening it that details are on and you posted it :)

So you were right about bonus. So no complaints from my side. I really hope Beane keeps it this way.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

Haha I saw new post in this thread saw your avatar and knew before opening it that details are on and you posted it :)

So you were right about bonus. So no complaints from my side. I really hope Beane keeps it this way.

Yep, it looks like he will go to camp and compete with a guy like Siran Neal.  If he plays well enough on ST and can be of worth

as S depth replacing Siran for the next 2 years saves around $4M and Zayne will still be an RFA in 2025.  If he is better at S than

I expect he will be a steal.

I kind of like these type of players with these types of contracts.  No risk with a chance of a decent reward.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.