Bills sign S Zayne Anderson to a 2 year deal

Big Turk

He impressed at his pro day running a 4.44 at 6'2" and 206 lbs.  Coming out of college, he was seen as lacking toughness and tackling ability.  I would guess he needed to get a lot stronger.  Where he is at this point in his development is anyone's guess.  Worth a shot as a fringe player with possible upside.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

This is not even close. Poyer and Hyde were starters on nfl rosters for multiple years. This guy is barely a practice squad player. 

Hyde was (he had started about 2 season's worth of games in his first 4 years before joining the Bills).  Poyer's first starting experience was in his 3rd season in the league in 2015, when he started 4 out of 14 games throughout the year.  He started the first 6 games of 2016 before going on IR. 

On 2/17/2023 at 4:20 PM, billieve420 said:

We sure love to focus on special teams. Meh wake me up when we start making some moves on offense.

It's very important.  I'd rather have Hodgins for example over a ST ace but especially with a kicker like Bass that can get you great hang time inside the 5, we routinely stopped teams inside the 20 the last cpl years. 

What is with this unhealthy affection for special teams players???

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

What is with this unhealthy affection for special teams players???

It's McDermott.  He's your classic, ultra conservative, old-school, "football" guy.

These guys preach "win in the trenches", "ground and pound," the wild dangerous foolishness of going for it on 4th down, and MASSIVELY over-value the special teams game as being "one=third of the game."

It's not.

In fairness, McDermott has grown as a coach and has overcome some of his timid nature during games.  His record for going for it on 4th down in particular is pretty darned good.  

But it'll take forever to totally transform him into a current, 21st century football mind.

14 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It's McDermott.  He's your classic, ultra conservative, old-school, "football" guy.

These guys preach "win in the trenches", "ground and pound," the wild dangerous foolishness of going for it on 4th down, and MASSIVELY over-value the special teams game as being "one=third of the game."

It's not.

In fairness, McDermott has grown as a coach and has overcome some of his timid nature during games.  His record for going for it on 4th down in particular is pretty darned good.  

But it'll take forever to totally transform him into a current, 21st century football mind.

Yup, that STs 1/3 of the game nonsense has wasted a lot of roster spots and related money over the years,  STs is and always will be the red headed step child of NFL teams/players, its rare that anyone actually cares about  STs,, its just coach talk/lip service.

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Yup, that STs 1/3 of the game nonsense has wasted a lot of roster spots and related money over the years,  STs is and always will be the red headed step child of NFL teams/players, its rare that anyone actually cares about  STs,, its just coach talk/lip service.

you just need a good FG kicker

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, ngbills said:

This is not even close. Poyer and Hyde were starters on nfl rosters for multiple years. This guy is barely a practice squad player. 

Ehm I have to disagree. Both Poyer and Hyde had been named a starting S for only 1 season each, and neither played 16 games as a starter in their respective starting season as a S (Poyer - 6/ Hyde -12)

Poyer:

2013 - Poyer was named 4th CB for Eagles in 2013 waived after 6 games. (2 a healthy scratch)

2013 - 2015  backup SS in Cleveland from remainder of 2013 through 2015.

2016 - He won the starting FS job in 2016, but was put on IR after 6 games.

Poyer was hardly proven. In total he started 10 games in 4 seasons prior to joining Buffalo.

Hyde was a utility DB in Green Bay. Drafted as a CB.

2013 - 5th CB

2014 - transitioned to starting FS (started 12 games)

2015 - starting Nickel CB and backup FS. Forced to start at SS for 5 games due to injury (7 total starts)

2016 - starting Nickel and backup SS. Packers did not make an official offer to retain him (11 total starts)

In total Hyde started 33 games out of 63 in Green Bay. Never was able to hold a starting position and was moved around the secondary to get his 33 starts.

Both guys had trouble cracking the starting line-up for their respective teams, much less hold down a S position.

CLE and GB had good S in guys like  TJ Ward/ Tashaun Gipson/ Morgan Burnett and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

Credit to both the players and the staff for turning them into an excellent S duo.

I think Hyde and Poyer both have very high football IQ which is needed in this scheme, and they had the athleticism to perform.

I don't know if Zane Anderson is found gold, but this coaching staff does get the most out of DB ability.

If nothing else it may free up ST cap space (Matakevitch/ T Jones etc) and upgrade the S room.

Should replace J Johnson as one backup S, and potentially fill in for Hamlin given we don't know how Hamlin will progress this offseason.

I expect to see a S drafted in the first 3-4 rounds.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Ehm I have to disagree. Both Poyer and Hyde had been named a starting S for only 1 season each, and neither played 16 games as a starter in their respective starting season as a S (Poyer - 6/ Hyde -12)

Poyer:

2013 - Poyer was named 4th CB for Eagles in 2013 waived after 6 games. (2 a healthy scratch)

2013 - 2015  backup SS in Cleveland from remainder of 2013 through 2015.

2016 - He won the starting FS job in 2016, but was put on IR after 6 games.

Poyer was hardly proven. In total he started 10 games in 4 seasons prior to joining Buffalo.

Hyde was a utility DB in Green Bay. Drafted as a CB.

2013 - 5th CB

2014 - transitioned to starting FS (started 12 games)

2015 - starting Nickel CB and backup FS. Forced to start at SS for 5 games due to injury (7 total starts)

2016 - starting Nickel and backup SS. Packers did not make an official offer to retain him (11 total starts)

In total Hyde started 33 games out of 63 in Green Bay. Never was able to hold a starting position and was moved around the secondary to get his 33 starts.

Both guys had trouble cracking the starting line-up for their respective teams, much less hold down a S position.

CLE and GB had good S in guys like  TJ Ward/ Tashaun Gipson/ Morgan Burnett and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

Credit to both the players and the staff for turning them into an excellent S duo.

I think Hyde and Poyer both have very high football IQ which is needed in this scheme, and they had the athleticism to perform.

I don't know if Zane Anderson is found gold, but this coaching staff does get the most out of DB ability.

If nothing else it may free up ST cap space (Matakevitch/ T Jones etc) and upgrade the S room.

Should replace J Johnson as one backup S, and potentially fill in for Hamlin given we don't know how Hamlin will progress this offseason.

I expect to see a S drafted in the first 3-4 rounds.

Do the same for Anderson. How many plays on defense does he have? He has less plays than any of our back up safety. Why would anyone think he is even better than Marlowe or Johnson let alone similar to Hyde and Poyer? That is dream land. I would put my money on a rookie over this guy. 

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Do the same for Anderson. How many plays on defense does he have? He has less plays than any of our back up safety. Why would anyone think he is even better than Marlowe or Johnson let alone similar to Hyde and Poyer? That is dream land. I would put my money on a rookie over this guy. 

Totally agree, he is a dark horse for a good S prospect.  The best I hope for is S depth and to replace Siran Neal as a ST guy for a $2M savings.

Poyer 1000+ snaps before signing

Hyde 2500+ snaps before signing

Anderson 0 in 2 years

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Totally agree, he is a dark horse for a good S prospect.  The best I hope for is S depth and to replace Siran Neal as a ST guy for a $2M savings.

Exactly. He is hopefully a low cost special teamer that can possibly get in a snap on D if needed. Best case is he replaces Taiwan Jones role who is strictly ST. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

He did.  He was saying that they were largely unproven, like Anderson.  You were making it seem like they were proven players before joining the Bills, which, at least in Poyer's case, was far from the case.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.