Tremaine Edmunds will test free agency

HappyDays

He’s NOT worth it. He doesn’t factor AT ALL in crunch time against the elite passers. In fact he gets abused w mahomes eyes. He can’t cover kelce. He simply doesn’t make enough plays on the ball in the passing game. LET him WALK!

he’s really soft at stopping the RUN. Poor at point of attack. He’s so tall and plays so tall he gets DRIvEN back 7-10 yards way way way too much.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

I understand your trepidation but he wants to hit FA and the Bills must franchise him or see him leave and the decision has to be made now. After he gets franchised you open a window to negotiate a longer deal. He represents arguably our best player on defense, and is a perfect compliment to Milano in a 2LB defense. I think Edmunds plays even better next season.

You may know more about how this all works than me, but can’t the Bills just make him an offer? If he wants to test free agency, it seems like he’s already got one foot out the door. 

The franchise tag seems like the absolute wrong approach for a team up against the cap. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Agree 1

I’ll also add - and finish. If beane was absolutely on his game and cut throat he would have traded edmunds last offseason and at least gotten something back in a trade.  But I’m not gonna kill him for it bc he and - we all thought - this was a Super Bowl team so you gotta try for it. 

we’re at the same juncture w Oliver. Trade him NOW!

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You may know more about how this all works than me, but can’t the Bills just make him an offer? If he wants to test free agency, it seems like he’s already got one foot out the door. 

The franchise tag seems like the absolute wrong approach for a team up against the cap. 

If he refuses the Bills offer, he’s gone. The Bills won’t get into a bidding war with all their needs. The tag is only a positive when you can retain a player that you view as at the top of his position and would be difficult to replace adequately. Remember, the Bills are paying 3 players(JA, Diggs and Miller) upwards of 90 million. If Beane is as good as the guy in KC(Beech)he restructures Josh,Diggs and Miller to free up enough cap space to retain Edmunds and add some good O-line.

I may be overly pragmatic here, but any strategy that entails keeping together a team that couldn't deliver multiple times when it really mattered and neglecting, due to a shortage of resources, clear areas of weakness while also increasing the cost base is, at the very least, suspect.

It's like doubling-down on ricing up a Chevy Malibu and expecting to win a Le Mans race.

It's time for a change in the roster-building philosophy, with different asset allocation and priorities.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, nucci said:

Loyalty works both ways. Teams can cut players at any time even though they are under contract. Where's the loyalty to Singletary? He won't even be offered a contract. 

Usually the Bills will make a offer to a player of what they feel that player is worth to them & if the player thinks they can get more in FA per their agent then they test FA which is what Edmunds will more than likely do & you don't know if Motor has been offered  certain amount to stay .

But seeing as he can & will get a certain amount of money & the fact that the Bills are some $20 mill over the cap logic would tell one that loyalty or not they would have to go in another direction such as the draft in order to get a better number to fit the cap that's called "Business" plain & simple .

Which is the same as Edmunds & Poyer they will be looking at what the Bills can offer which will not be what the market will bare seeing as the LB market was reset last season & the Bills have to make space just to keep those they have & cover those that have left so when you don't have the funds to resign a player that is just a tad different than having the money & just letting them walk .

13 hours ago, balln said:

He’s NOT worth it. He doesn’t factor AT ALL in crunch time against the elite passers. In fact he gets abused w mahomes eyes. He can’t cover kelce. He simply doesn’t make enough plays on the ball in the passing game. LET him WALK!

he’s really soft at stopping the RUN. Poor at point of attack. He’s so tall and plays so tall he gets DRIvEN back 7-10 yards way way way too much.  

Spot on.

• Agree 1

We know that he is a very fine LB, but top five salary in our financial dilemma?  IMO, maybe, but we have other needs which we won't get to if we pay him like $22M or so.  Draft, or trade for a bruiser as a replacement; sure, you give up coverage over the middle, but you have to put a legitimate value on Edmunds vs significantly increased abilities on the OL, and then RB, S, DL (again) and plenty of legitimate backups. 

Just now, BobBelcher said:

Tag and trade  an option here?    Kinda surprised we haven't done this with anyone since Peerless Price.  I would imagine we could find a trade partner willing to give us more than whatever the comp pick would be...

not that easy. First Edmunds would have to sign the contract, then get a team to agree to give up picks for him and that team would need to able to sign him to longer contract

On 2/18/2023 at 1:44 AM, HappyDays said:

Anything is possible but it sounds like we have seen the end of Edmunds' career as a Bill. Which leaves more room to build the offense.

It doesn't sound like that at all, Hap.

"I'm gonna let the process take shape," sounds to you like we've seen the end of his career as a Bill? He's not saying anything like that there. It only means he's not willing to commit to a return as of now. Which only makes sense, even if he'd rather return than not.

Sorry to bring back what I now see is an old post, though. It was new to me.

Edited by Thurman#1

I'm already expecting Edmunds to be gone at this point. I think Beane and Co. came up with a number they were comfortable with and Edmunds is searching for more elsewhere. He'll be donning a different jersey next season and we'll have someone new manning the middle in this defense. 

I don't think Edmunds is as bad as many here do.  I think he fits what McD and Frazier wants in their MLB.  But I also think it's hard to justify giving him a big contract when you already have another All Pro LB in Milano.  Hard to sink so much cap dollars into one position area.  

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Both plays with 13 seconds happened in the middle of the field.  

Dude, please. This says more about you than about Edmunds.

On the first play he was covering for in-cuts and on the second he was on the other side of the field.

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I don't think Edmunds is as bad as many here do.  I think he fits what McD and Frazier wants in their MLB.  But I also think it's hard to justify giving him a big contract when you already have another All Pro LB in Milano.  Hard to sink so much cap dollars into one position area.  

I see that, but the fact is that's their scheme and their habit. They sunk a ton of cap dollars into those exact two spots in Carolina with Kuechly and Davis.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I see that, but the fact is that's their scheme and their habit. They sunk a ton of cap dollars into those exact two spots in Carolina with Kuechly and Davis.

100%. They also continued to draft guys like AJ Klein and used a first round pick on Shaq Thompson. 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Looking back on it and seeing where the team sits now in relation to the cap, signing Von Miller may prove to have been a HUGE mistake. 

Unless with von we win a superbowl it absolutely was. 

Jerry Hughes had similar production to von last season and at least had availability. And we needed an upgrade for sure, but was this the right answer? In season 1 it is a no.

And not because I want to keep Edmunds, but because that's a good chunk of dollars that could improve the offense or defense and its tied into a aging player who, played half a season.

Edited by Sharky7337

14 hours ago, balln said:

Yeah, did he get abused by Mahomes this year? When we had a bit of a pass rush hurrying him?

You know who gets abused by Mahomes's eyes in the middle of the field in zone coverage when he has time to throw? Absolutely everyone. 

And he doesn't get driven back all that much. He gets driven back 7 - 10 yards? Fine, name 10 plays where that happened. Should be easy since it happens so often. In the run defense, Milano is the guy given the go-ahead to go forward and freelance a bit at times. They have different roles. Tremaine is the guy who's generally supposed to stay back, fill the hole and get him if he turns the corner if necessary.

This decision will be made by money, as the Bills are really tightly strictured right now, but they'll do their best to get him back. This Bills D has shown that they're a ton worse without him than with him.

Edited by Thurman#1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.