Lee Smith defends Ken Dorsey and Tells Angry Bills Fans: “Stay on your couch.”

JohnNord

9 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Man, I love the fan reaction!   

Here is a guy who has spent a dozen years in pro football locker rooms, who is a recognized team leader, who is a close friend of several of the Bills players, and yet, when he gives his opinion, fans here throw it out like it means nothing.  

Players know when the coaching works and when it doesn't.  They know when the season didn't work because, well, it just didn't work this year.   They know.   And that's what we're hearing from Smith.  He's telling us these players - with these coaches - are ready to move forward.   He's clearly saying that 2022 was an unusual year, everyone on the team knows it, and they'll be a powerhouse team again in 2023.   

For me, I think it's quite interesting to hear his perspective.   

I hear you, but players regularly said good things about Dick Jauron too. Maybe I’m wrong, but I think most NFL coordinators are very good coaches or they wouldn’t get those jobs. However, at that level you have to be elite to stand out because you are facing top coaches too.

All that being said, Dorsey will get another year and should too. This was his rookie season as OC.

Edited by vincec

12 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Here’s what he said:

Now we’re bitching about 13-win seasons, so it’s like give me a break,” Smith said on the show.  

Watch what Dorsey and Josh do next year together. It’s gonna be scary guys,” Smith said. “I’m just telling y’all, I’m telling y’all right now the Buffalo Bills are going to be terrifying next year with the rejuvenation and the healing that hopefully takes place this offseason.

Actually, no one's bitching about 13-win seasons, we're bitching about getting our asses handed to us in the playoffs and having our #1 (or #2 whatever) ranked defense play like it was the 30th-ranked defense, and a team overall that appears to have almost no direction from the sidelines once the most important games start.  

Frankly, it may not matter what Josh (and Dorsey) do, because when we regularly give up 30-some points per-game in the playoffs, it renders it ridiculously unlikely that we'd win 3 (possibly 4) straight playoff games to find our way to a championship. 

Then of course there are two sets of fans seemingly, those perfectly satisfied with 13-win seasons and entertaining football throughout the season, accompanied by an early departure from the playoffs;  

and those that have been there, done that, and will only be satisfied with a Super Bowl win and NFL Championship.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

23 hours ago, Warcodered said:

For a first year OC he really wasn't terrible, giving the guy another year to improve isn't that ridiculous.

Depends on how you see things.

How many times did Cook and Hines catch the ball?

Was there a rhythm to the offense?

Did one play set up the next play? Or did it seem like every play was somewhat independent? 

Did they have troubles in the red zone?

Did you see the Cinci playoff game? 

I'd agrue he wasn't very good. If we are measuring someone from a terrible standard then I guess your statement is right. 

I'd argue the Bills won mostly because of Allen not Dorsey or his play calling. He was learning on the job. 

Dorsey absolutely  contributed to the Bills disappointing season. 

13 wins is great but it's not really about that. The Bills will likely win lots of regular season games with Allen.

At this point, it's about winning playoff games and going to the Super Bowl. It's about winning it all. Fans shouldn't settle for anything less when you supposedly have a top 5 QB. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Man, I love the fan reaction!   

Here is a guy who has spent a dozen years in pro football locker rooms, who is a recognized team leader, who is a close friend of several of the Bills players, and yet, when he gives his opinion, fans here throw it out like it means nothing.  

Players know when the coaching works and when it doesn't.  They know when the season didn't work because, well, it just didn't work this year.   They know.   And that's what we're hearing from Smith.  He's telling us these players - with these coaches - are ready to move forward.   He's clearly saying that 2022 was an unusual year, everyone on the team knows it, and they'll be a powerhouse team again in 2023.   

For me, I think it's quite interesting to hear his perspective.   

He's insulting the fans that supported his mediocre talent on the team they love.  "Stay on your couch"??  That's the most tone deaf comment he could possibly make. 

This guy, of any, shouldn't be commenting on the average fan's displeasure with the post season results of this team the past few years.  The frustration is warranted.  No one on earth solicited this guy's opinion---yet he decided to take the opportunity to publicly call out a very loyal fanbase.   

He can fade away to a life motel lobby autograph signings, and stop futilely kissing Bills FO ass.   "Dabes"?  Dorse"?  This isn't high school bro-ham.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Coming from your # 1 WR - does the below sound like the Offense had a good solid plan? 

STEFON DIGGS: Yeah, I mean, at times, yes. Throughout this year, it was a crazy year, especially for us. I felt like it was a little weird dynamic because the first nine games, we had like a real formula and recipe on how we were winning. And then that last iteration towards the back end, we kind of were just figuring out ways to win, which wasn't bad for us but kind of got us away from what we were consistently doing.

So for me, I feel like at times, yeah. And then other times, we kind of got away from it. So we carried that same team in the playoffs, know what I'm saying? So that playing left-handed or figuring out ways to win, it's not necessarily a bad spot, but you're not necessarily back to being who you built to be an identity throughout the season.

So we definitely had success, a lot of success. I feel like there was more out there for us because-- especially with that last game and how it ended. We had a lot more football to play, but back to the drawing board, I guess.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's insulting the fans that supported his mediocre talent on the team they love.  "Stay on your couch"??  That's the most tone deaf comment he could possibly make. 

This guy, of any, shouldn't be commenting on the average fan's displeasure with the post season results of this team the past few years.  The frustration is warranted.  No one on earth solicited this guy's opinion---yet he decided to take the opportunity to publicly call out a very loyal fanbase.   

He can fade away to a life motel lobby autograph signings, and stop futilely kissing Bills FO ass.   "Dabes"?  Dorse"?  This isn't high school bro-ham.

Very well stated. I couldn't agree more.

👍👍👍👍👍

5 hours ago, corta765 said:

I listened to the whole thing and zero reason anyone should be offended and I agreed with most of what he said minus the O Line piece (Pro Bowl means sh*t). He was beyond complementary of buffalo and the fans.

Just because he's a former player doesn't give him anymore credibility in my eyes. Unless, he had some inside information and input from current players and coaches. I highly doubt it. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ngbills said:

Coming from your # 1 WR - does the below sound like the Offense had a good solid plan? 

STEFON DIGGS: Yeah, I mean, at times, yes. Throughout this year, it was a crazy year, especially for us. I felt like it was a little weird dynamic because the first nine games, we had like a real formula and recipe on how we were winning. And then that last iteration towards the back end, we kind of were just figuring out ways to win, which wasn't bad for us but kind of got us away from what we were consistently doing.

So for me, I feel like at times, yeah. And then other times, we kind of got away from it. So we carried that same team in the playoffs, know what I'm saying? So that playing left-handed or figuring out ways to win, it's not necessarily a bad spot, but you're not necessarily back to being who you built to be an identity throughout the season.

So we definitely had success, a lot of success. I feel like there was more out there for us because-- especially with that last game and how it ended. We had a lot more football to play, but back to the drawing board, I guess.

Agree with Diggs.

I've stated it repeatedly that the offense had no identity. It was hard to see a complete offensive solid game plan from Dorsey. Often the team ran the ball with success to abandon it later. Happen more often then it should of. 

Some experts like Sims and Cosell have criticized the offense. Saying the play calling didn't have cohesiveness. Felt like it was single play after single play with no congruent plan. Relying too much on Allen and backyard football. 

I think Diggs hints at a lot of this. 

Dorsey is not a strength of the team. He's a work in progress and last year he severely hurt the team. That was very clear in the Miami and Cinci game. 

The Bills should have gone after a much more experienced OC. (Josh shouldn't be calling the shots) The team was in win now mode. The favorites to win it all. With that in mind, you don't hire a rookie with no experience. He was in over his head. 

This organization continues to make critical errors. It looks like Dorsey and Fraizer are here to stay another year. I think it's a good bet to say the errors continue. Can anyone have confidence in these two coaches? 

Listen to Farrell on the radio last night. Sadly, he summed it up pretty well. He was talking to Mike Carver his side kick from Buffalo. Told him he feels bad for him. He wants Buffalo to win to end Carver's pain. Farrell stated the Bills are like the Denver Nuggets. A good team that never wins anything. I couldn't help but not in agreement. Carver high was pretty quiet. Nothing more to say. The truth hurts sometimes. 

I

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2

I hate when players do this us vs. them with their own fanbase. It pisses me off. At least it’s not a current player. 

Let’s see Lee stand out in the cold and rain cheering every down. The I’ll listen to what he has to say about it. 

Did he play in the elements, sure, and he was getting paid handsomely to do it. We pay good money for that privilege. I think that should come with being able to have our own opinions about it. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

7 hours ago, corta765 said:

I listened to the whole thing and zero reason anyone should be offended and I agreed with most of what he said minus the O Line piece (Pro Bowl means sh*t). He was beyond complementary of buffalo and the fans.

let me guess:  he led with "no offense, but...."?

On 2/14/2023 at 2:24 PM, Chaos said:

Why should the Bills be carving out two years of Josh Allen’s career to give on the job training to an OC?  The only correct answer to the question: Why is Ken Dorsey the Bills OC? Is “Of the available options he gives the Bills the best chance to win a championship” 

No other reason to keep him.  

Maybe I'm just a worry wart but my sense of it is that although Josh is quite possibly the most physically gifted athlete currently playing the position, his game is at risk of deteriorating. I suspect that Josh needs to be coached hard with his OC on him pretty much all the time. However this is not like M. Dareus. Josh is smart and hard working and takes well to the coaching he receives. It's just that he's a young player with an extremely difficult assignment. Playing QB is hard enuf under any circumstances. It's that much harder when you are asked to bear an unreasonable burden of responsibility. 
It's hard for fans to make accurate evaluations of most football professionals. So I could be wrong, but my impression is that Dorsey is unable to give this O what it needs in the way of a coherent plan and scheme. Wasting prime years of Josh's career would be bad enuf, but actually seeing Josh regress is at least as worrying. Due probably to his personality and the unusual career path Josh has taken Josh's game is always at risk to deteriorate.  He needs a really good OC.

Edited by starrymessenger

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

Maybe I'm just a worry wart but my sense of it is that although Josh is quite possibly the most physically gifted athlete currently playing the position, his game is at risk of deteriorating. I suspect that Josh needs to be coached hard with his OC on him pretty much all the time. However this is not like M. Dareus. Josh is smart and hard working and takes well to the coaching he receives. It's just that he's a young player with an extremely difficult assignment. Playing QB is hard enuf under any circumstances. It's that much harder when you are asked to bear an unreasonable burden of responsibility. 
It's hard for fans to make accurate evaluations of most football professionals. So I could be wrong, but my impression is that Dorsey is unable to give this O what it needs in the way of a coherent plan and scheme. Wasting prime years of Josh's career would be bad enuf, but actually seeing Josh regress is at least as worrying. Due probably to his personality and the unusual career path Josh has taken Josh's game is always at risk to deteriorate.  He needs a really good OC.

I am not anti-Dorsey.   I am not sure what the available options would be that might help the Bills win a championship. If there are no better options than Dorsey then roll with Dorsey.  But Imagine if you held interviews for the OC Job, which included Dorsey, and asked him "why are the best choice to help the bills win a championship in 2023? " and his answer was "I was only a rookie last year, you have to give me time to develop, obviously I will be better in year 2", a logical GM would kick him out the door. So I assume Dorsey has more to offer than that. 

On 2/14/2023 at 6:49 AM, Warcodered said:

For a first year OC he really wasn't terrible, giving the guy another year to improve isn't that ridiculous.

I don't love the idea of gambling Allen and Diggs prime years on an  inexperienced OC

But I am more comfortable giving him another year than I am giving Frazier another year who has shown consistently his defenses are faring much worse than other DC's with less talented defenses are against the same common opponents in the playoffs...and its every year.  

But..Dorsey may not have been "terrible" this year, but he certainly has a lot to work on that he struggled with this year.  

1. We had 2 legit downfield WR's on the team in Diggs and Davis only.  The rest of the roster was basically slot WR's, yet Dorsey kept trying to force this air it out downfield attack when we were not built for that.  And that includes a weak OL that can't hold their protections long enough for Josh to comfortably get the ball down field without first having to scramble.
  2. We drafted a RB for his receiving skills in Cook, yet we don't throw him the ball all that much.  Additionally, he is an under sized RB whose is best suited for working in space, yet we frequently run draw plays with him up the middle.
  3. Lacked consistency in trying to establish the run.
  4. His situational awareness was a weak spot, as was his redzone play calling.  
  5. Our WR's were relied on to win their one on one routes too much rather than scheming to get guys open the way teams like KC do on the regular.  
  6. Our offense was too predictable and was lacking in adjustments.

He gets more of a benefit of the doubt being a first year OC...but he has a lot to improve.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

I am not anti-Dorsey.   I am not sure what the available options would be that might help the Bills win a championship. If there are no better options than Dorsey then roll with Dorsey.  But Imagine if you held interviews for the OC Job, which included Dorsey, and asked him "why are the best choice to help the bills win a championship in 2023? " and his answer was "I was only a rookie last year, you have to give me time to develop, obviously I will be better in year 2", a logical GM would kick him out the door. So I assume Dorsey has more to offer than that. 

Well that "excuse" is pretty much what BB offered up at his presser. No rookie OC has ever won a championship. I guess they think he' must be pretty good. And I'm sure they left no stone uncovered (in Carolina) when they had to replace Daboll.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.