Why is Eric Bieniemy available as an OC?

Virgil

45 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I know a company that every minority candidate they interview automatically makes it to the final round.  It does not matter if they intend to hire them or not.  If they meet the minimum qualifications, they pass them each round until the final round interview.  

I'm not saying that's what happened with Frazier, I'm referencing a completely different industry....I just wouldn't be surprised.

Agree.  I had an interview at a company and one of the interviewers was someone I worked with but we were at different companies.  Company had multiple levels of interviews mandated costing interviewees a lot of time including one where interviewees needed to basically do a take-home essay test.  The person who worked with before told me confidentially do not bother for there was a mandate to hire a minority for position even though position was theoretically open to all.  There was slanted grading system on candidates so minority candidates would all pass until last round of interviews. 

37 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I think if this were the case Bieniemy wouldn't be on the staff still, 4 years, 3 Super Bowls and 2 Super Bowl wins later.

Either he's the worst interview ever or this is racism.  

Chicken crap.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Hasn't he interviewed for jobs where they hired a Black coach?  What's the reason then, he was too black?  Someone else's "Bojangles routine" up on the coffee table was better?  I mean, this doesn't make much sense as 4-5 other black head coaches have been hired minimum during this time.

What job would that be, being that there's a whopping 3 black head coaches in the league?

If Nathaniel Hackett can get a HC gig, Bieniemy should be able to get a shot as well.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

I think if this were the case Bieniemy wouldn't be on the staff still, 4 years, 3 Super Bowls and 2 Super Bowl wins later.

Either he's the worst interview ever or this is racism.  

Tom Moore led one of the most productive offensive units for years in Indy.  Never at any point of his career was he a HC.  

9 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

What job would that be, being that there's a whopping 3 black head coaches in the league?

If Nathaniel Hackett can get a HC gig, Bieniemy should be able to get a shot as well.

Even if he doesn't interview well?  Like he ***** the bed he should still get it?  Lesean McCoy is very public about how much Bienemy was hated.  I'm sure there is a lot of truth to that because it's also a common rumor.  But it doesn't matter anything, he should just get hired?

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Even if he doesn't interview well?  Like he ***** the bed he should still get it?  Lesean McCoy is very public about how much Bienemy was hated.  I'm sure there is a lot of truth to that because it's also a common rumor.  But it doesn't matter anything, he should just get hired?

I said in my original post that's either he's a horrible interview or it's racism, yet a few of you are choosing to focus on the latter, like it's out of the realm of possibility.

Shady's word isn't worth much to me vs say Mahomes, Kelce or any *other former player that's been through KC.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's pretty well known Bienemy isn't well liked by players, doesn't interview well and Reid runs the offense.  

I've never heard anything other than rumors on Bieniemy.  Tom Moore, on the other hand, I cannot recall a time where he ever interviewed for a HC position.

Edited by Chicken Boo

19 hours ago, Virgil said:

I remember hearing Eric's name in HC positions, but now I'm seeing that his contract is up and he's applying for other OC jobs.  My first point of thought would be, Reid calls all the plays and runs the show, so maybe he just wants to make a name for himself elsewhere.  However, is it not off that the Chiefs wouldn't try to keep him on the staff? 

For me, it's hard to not want someone who's been around Reid and the offensive game planning on our staff.  Whoever actually called the plays in the SB was the real MVP to me.  Outside of the first Kelce touchdown, Mahomes was throwing to wide open people.  

But yeah, anyone know why this guy is available?

Well, that person wasn't Bieniemy. If you're building a donut delivery operation that's going to keep McClappy constantly supplied with donuts then Bieniemy is your guy. Otherwise, look elsewhere. 

15 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I said in my original post that's either he's a horrible interview or it's racism, yet a few of you are choosing to focus on the latter, like it's out of the realm of possibility.

Shady's word isn't worth much to me vs say Mahomes, Kelce or any *other former player that's been through KC.

I've never heard anything other than rumors on Bieniemy.  Tom Moore, on the other hand, I cannot recall a time where he ever interviewed for a HC position.

You think it's realistic for a Owner to say "I am sure Bienemy could bring Super Bowls to us but I won't hire him because he's black."

It's a production position.  If you can produce, they will absolutely hire you.  

There aren't just two options and sorry, I don't think racism is one.  

Lovie Smith went 17-39 as HC of University of Illinois.  He then becomes the Texans DC after being fired and leads a bottom 5 defense two years in a row.

He gets promoted to HC!  He was more undeserving than Nate Hackett lol.  

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2022-09-30-jason-whitlock-why-the-chiefs-dont-respect-eric-bieniemy/

“The NBA, the NFL, all these live sports, all they are are TV shows. They’re no different from whatever your favorite TV show is right now. You know what they do on TV shows? They write people and characters in and out of the script. Eric Bieniemy, the alleged offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs, has been written out of the script. If you watched that Chiefs/Chargers game [in Week 1] Eric Bieniemy wasn’t discussed. Maybe I missed it, but if it was discussed it wasn’t discussed like it used to be. The whole Andy Reid and the Chiefs trying to promote Eric Bieniemy as the next great coaching legend, the heir to Tony Dungy’s throne, the heir to Vince Lombardi’s throne.. they weren’t talking about Eric Bieniemy. They weren’t flashing to the sidelines showing Eric Bieniemy pretending to call plays. Everything was about Andy Reid, Patrick Mahomes, and Andy Reid calling plays and running that team. Eric Bieniemy has been de-emphasized because they’re done with him. They couldn’t pawn him off on another organization like they’ve tried the last three years so they’ve written him out of the script. All of that is controlled by the NFL teams. Andy Reid, Bill Belichick, whoever; they get to tell and greenlight whoever on their staff they want the television networks to talk about or focus in on. For the last 2-3 years the Chiefs were having a concerted effort to try and promote Eric Bieniemy up off their staff and get someone to take him on as a head coach. It’s a very clever way of firing people… The media has spent all of these years, ‘OH, ERIC BIENIEMY, HE DESERVES A HEAD COACHING JOB!’ ‘HE’S THE GREATEST HEAD COACH!’ ‘HE’S GETTING SCREWED OVER BECAUSE HE’S BLACK!’ ‘IF THE NFL WASN’T RACIST…’ They’ve been selling that nonsense forever meanwhile the Houston Texans hired Lovie Smith off the scrap heap? Hired Dave Culley, a 40-year NFL assistant? The NFL has no problem hiring Black head coaches. I don’t care what you hear on tv about how ‘racist’ they are, race isn’t the issue, CULTURE is the issue. You plug all of these men into this emasculated victimhood culture that has been pushed on Black people. You don’t produce leaders that way, and that’s why Black men are struggling to get NFL head coaching jobs. Because they’ve been forced into a culture that does not prepare them for leadership. THAT’S Eric Bieniemy’s problem. It’s connected to the conversation we’re going to have about ‘The Woman King.’ Black people are living in a matriarchal culture here in America. A matriarchal culture does not produce high-quality Black male leadership, period, end of story. Either we can deal with that fact and correct it, or we can whine and cry, and call everybody racist, and say ‘OH, IT’S THE WHITE MAN’S FAULT…’ It’s OUR fault for maintaining and buying into a matriarchal culture. If you continue to be on your knees and be a beta male and a coward, eventually you’re going to get written out of the script. That’s what happened to Eric Bieniemy. Life knocked on his door and said ‘Eric, we did the best we could, we tried to sell you for three years, we got all the media saying you’re the greatest coach in the world, then you get in these interview rooms and everyone finds out you’re not built for leadership, and they won’t give you the job.' They literally tried to get rid of him this off-season and ended up signing him to another one-year deal. Now they’re done. They’ve given him all the welfare they can give him, no one would buy the fake product, and now they've written him out of the script.”

Edited by Royale with Cheese

Prediction:

Eric Bienemy will be hired as somebody's "Senior Assistant Head Coach / running backs coach"

-He needs to get out of KC and Andy R'eids shadow

-He wont be able to even get a lateral OC job because he doesnt know enuf of offense outside of Andy R'eids system.

-He apparently doesnt interview well.

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You think it's realistic for a Owner to say "I am sure Bienemy could bring Super Bowls to us but I won't hire him because he's black."

It's a production position.  If you can produce, they will absolutely hire you.  

There aren't just two options and sorry, I don't think racism is one.  

Lovie Smith went 17-39 as HC of University of Illinois.  He then becomes the Texans DC after being fired and leads a bottom 5 defense two years in a row.

He gets promoted to HC!  He was more undeserving than Nate Hackett lol.  

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2022-09-30-jason-whitlock-why-the-chiefs-dont-respect-eric-bieniemy/

“The NBA, the NFL, all these live sports, all they are are TV shows. They’re no different from whatever your favorite TV show is right now. You know what they do on TV shows? They write people and characters in and out of the script. Eric Bieniemy, the alleged offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs, has been written out of the script. If you watched that Chiefs/Chargers game [in Week 1] Eric Bieniemy wasn’t discussed. Maybe I missed it, but if it was discussed it wasn’t discussed like it used to be. The whole Andy Reid and the Chiefs trying to promote Eric Bieniemy as the next great coaching legend, the heir to Tony Dungy’s throne, the heir to Vince Lombardi’s throne.. they weren’t talking about Eric Bieniemy. They weren’t flashing to the sidelines showing Eric Bieniemy pretending to call plays. Everything was about Andy Reid, Patrick Mahomes, and Andy Reid calling plays and running that team. Eric Bieniemy has been de-emphasized because they’re done with him. They couldn’t pawn him off on another organization like they’ve tried the last three years so they’ve written him out of the script. All of that is controlled by the NFL teams. Andy Reid, Bill Belichick, whoever; they get to tell and greenlight whoever on their staff they want the television networks to talk about or focus in on. For the last 2-3 years the Chiefs were having a concerted effort to try and promote Eric Bieniemy up off their staff and get someone to take him on as a head coach. It’s a very clever way of firing people… The media has spent all of these years, ‘OH, ERIC BIENIEMY, HE DESERVES A HEAD COACHING JOB!’ ‘HE’S THE GREATEST HEAD COACH!’ ‘HE’S GETTING SCREWED OVER BECAUSE HE’S BLACK!’ ‘IF THE NFL WASN’T RACIST…’ They’ve been selling that nonsense forever meanwhile the Houston Texans hired Lovie Smith off the scrap heap? Hired Dave Culley, a 40-year NFL assistant? The NFL has no problem hiring Black head coaches. I don’t care what you hear on tv about how ‘racist’ they are, race isn’t the issue, CULTURE is the issue. You plug all of these men into this emasculated victimhood culture that has been pushed on Black people. You don’t produce leaders that way, and that’s why Black men are struggling to get NFL head coaching jobs. Because they’ve been forced into a culture that does not prepare them for leadership. THAT’S Eric Bieniemy’s problem. It’s connected to the conversation we’re going to have about ‘The Woman King.’ Black people are living in a matriarchal culture here in America. A matriarchal culture does not produce high-quality Black male leadership, period, end of story. Either we can deal with that fact and correct it, or we can whine and cry, and call everybody racist, and say ‘OH, IT’S THE WHITE MAN’S FAULT…’ It’s OUR fault for maintaining and buying into a matriarchal culture. If you continue to be on your knees and be a beta male and a coward, eventually you’re going to get written out of the script. That’s what happened to Eric Bieniemy. Life knocked on his door and said ‘Eric, we did the best we could, we tried to sell you for three years, we got all the media saying you’re the greatest coach in the world, then you get in these interview rooms and everyone finds out you’re not built for leadership, and they won’t give you the job.' They literally tried to get rid of him this off-season and ended up signing him to another one-year deal. Now they’re done. They’ve given him all the welfare they can give him, no one would buy the fake product, and now they've written him out of the script.”

Lovie was already on the staff.  Continuity and the blessing of Bruce Arians played a large part in him being promoted.

You lost me at Jason Whitlock.  I couldn't give 2 ***** what Uncle Ruckus thinks regarding anything.  

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

Lovie was already on the staff.  Continuity and the blessing of Bruce Arians played a large part in him being promoted.

You lost me at Jason Whitlock.  I couldn't give 2 ***** what Uncle Ruckus thinks regarding anything.  

Continuity of losing huh?  But lets not forget the main issue.  You brought up racism as an option and Lovie is still black.

David Culley, another extremely unqualified HC....also black.  So if racism was an issue, then it doesn't matter what Bruce Arian said or recommended.

Andy Reid sings Bienemy's blessings all the time lol.  Is his word not good or something?

You may not like what Whitlock said but is there not truth to it?  The only way you can say there isn't any truth to what Whitlock said is that Culley and Lovie Smith were very qualified for the job.  So I ask you, were Culley and Smith qualified for the HC job?

19 hours ago, MJS said:

There has been lots of smoke for years about there being turmoil in KC and Bieniemy is not well liked by the players and other coaches.

He has also been interviewed many times for a HC position, and the rumors are that he interviews terribly.

Where there is smoke, there is fire. There is something about him that is blocking him from getting more opportunities. I don't think he will ever be a head coach.

In a world where Hackett became a head coach, anything is possible.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Continuity of losing huh?  But lets not forget the main issue.  You brought up racism as an option and Lovie is still black.

David Culley, another extremely unqualified HC....also black.  So if racism was an issue, then it doesn't matter what Bruce Arian said or recommended.

Andy Reid sings Bienemy's blessings all the time lol.  Is his word not good or something?

You may not like what Whitlock said but is there not truth to it?  The only way you can say there isn't any truth to what Whitlock said is that Culley and Lovie Smith were very qualified for the job.  So I ask you, were Culley and Smith qualified for the HC job?

You're totally dismissing that Lovie was hired in-house.  Tampa didn't want to start over.  Like I said, continuity.  

Is Bieniemy taking over for Reid?  It's apples and oranges.  

*I didn't read a word of Jason Whitlock's opinion and I won't.  

Edited by Chicken Boo

Would love to see him take over as the Bills head coach. I think the guy is ready. He has winning Super Bowl experience. Him and Reid have a fantastic offense. He would be a great asset for Allen. I can dream...

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Wish the Bills would give him the chance. 

It's the kind of jolt this Bills team needs. 

Running it back is so demoralizing...

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I have some thoughts on this -

Everyone above posting that Bienemy needs to get out of Rieds shadow are correct.  Also correct he doesn't interview well.  Also correct he does have some baggage in his past...quite a while back now.  Also probably some truth to the players not liking him all that much. 

With all that in mind....KC has had other OC go on to HC jobs who also didn't call plays.  Doug Pederson, and Matt Nagy.  Mike Kaafka was QB coach and is now OC in NY.  All Andy Ried Offensive coaches.  Kaafka is on track to be an HC probably next year.  So there is that.  None of these guys had to prove anything to move on.  Kaafka also doesn't call plays in NY, that's Daboll.

I don't believe the issue is race.  I do think EB has poor interview skills, AND the back channel communications among poeple in the know, I believe probably say EB is not well liked.  I think EB gets in these interviews and simply can't convince an owner/FO that he's a guy that you can trust to run your program.  I don't know if he can or can't, just saying I believe isn't able to make a case for himself...to sell himself to a hiring group.  

If you want to call that racism...I'll buy into that a little.  If you are a black male, who doesn't have the greatest command of the english language, you are going to have a hard time of it due to perception/belief that communication skills are indicative of how smart you are, or how well you might teach, coach, work with a GM, work with the media and so on.  You get a red flag.

The other guys who have gone on to be HC...Pederson and Nagy...one is doing well, won a SB..the other had a 12-4 season with Mitch Trubisky and couldn't sustain any success....but both come off as well spoken and smart.  It matters.  EB may well be an excellent FB coach, but if you can't convince people you are, when you've not called plays, and you are relying on selling yourself, you plan, and vision....because the other two had to interview with this limitation as well....then you'll need to make a compelling case, and effectively ccommunicate that.

So...If you do believe (as I do) that EB isn't good in interviews....then he needs a stronger resume.  The resume he has...OC on team with 2 super bowl wins, top points scoring, yards and all that..hasn't been enough because as noted above...everyone thinks/knows it's andy. 

From KC point of view - I believe KC would have PREFERRED that Bienemy have gotten a job by now.  It's a MUCH better optic when your assistants move on to HC.  KC, I'm almost convinced, wanted EB to be a HC last cycle so they could promote Kaafka to OC and keep him.  He was very highly regarded inside the building.  Kaafka moved on.....So, I am nearly certain the plan is to put Nagy at OC (Nagy is QB coach, the job Kaafka had)  when Beienemy moves on.  With Nagy in place, Ried will then pick a retirement date at some point and Nagy is HC.  I think that's what they want to happen.  

What do don't think KC wants, is for EB to continue to stick around.  Andy dies or retires and then you almost have to make him your HC to avoid bad optics.  

So to me the most telling thing is, Andy keeps propping up EB every cycle.  I think that's genuine.  I believe Andy wants him to be an HC and to succeed....BUT I don't think KC believes EB is the best guy for their own HC job if it were open.  That's Nagy.  

Is it right?  IDK...am I right?  IDK...I will say, EB might actually be a good CEO type HC.  I think he's been around Andy long enough to see how a winning operation is run and that he could run a similar program with good assistants if he got the chance.  

My 2 cents.

4 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I have some thoughts on this -

Everyone above posting that Bienemy needs to get out of Rieds shadow are correct.  Also correct he doesn't interview well.  Also correct he does have some baggage in his past...quite a while back now.  Also probably some truth to the players not liking him all that much. 

With all that in mind....KC has had other OC go on to HC jobs who also didn't call plays.  Doug Pederson, and Matt Nagy.  Mike Kaafka was QB coach and is now OC in NY.  All Andy Ried Offensive coaches.  Kaafka is on track to be an HC probably next year.  So there is that.  None of these guys had to prove anything to move on.  Kaafka also doesn't call plays in NY, that's Daboll.

I don't believe the issue is race.  I do think EB has poor interview skills, AND the back channel communications among poeple in the know, I believe probably say EB is not well liked.  I think EB gets in these interviews and simply can't convince an owner/FO that he's a guy that you can trust to run your program.  I don't know if he can or can't, just saying I believe isn't able to make a case for himself...to sell himself to a hiring group.  

If you want to call that racism...I'll buy into that a little.  If you are a black male, who doesn't have the greatest command of the english language, you are going to have a hard time of it due to perception/belief that communication skills are indicative of how smart you are, or how well you might teach, coach, work with a GM, work with the media and so on.  You get a red flag.

The other guys who have gone on to be HC...Pederson and Nagy...one is doing well, won a SB..the other had a 12-4 season with Mitch Trubisky and couldn't sustain any success....but both come off as well spoken and smart.  It matters.  EB may well be an excellent FB coach, but if you can't convince people you are, when you've not called plays, and you are relying on selling yourself, you plan, and vision....because the other two had to interview with this limitation as well....then you'll need to make a compelling case, and effectively ccommunicate that.

So...If you do believe (as I do) that EB isn't good in interviews....then he needs a stronger resume.  The resume he has...OC on team with 2 super bowl wins, top points scoring, yards and all that..hasn't been enough because as noted above...everyone thinks/knows it's andy. 

From KC point of view - I believe KC would have PREFERRED that Bienemy have gotten a job by now.  It's a MUCH better optic when your assistants move on to HC.  KC, I'm almost convinced, wanted EB to be a HC last cycle so they could promote Kaafka to OC and keep him.  He was very highly regarded inside the building.  Kaafka moved on.....So, I am nearly certain the plan is to put Nagy at OC (Nagy is QB coach, the job Kaafka had)  when Beienemy moves on.  With Nagy in place, Ried will then pick a retirement date at some point and Nagy is HC.  I think that's what they want to happen.  

What do don't think KC wants, is for EB to continue to stick around.  Andy dies or retires and then you almost have to make him your HC to avoid bad optics.  

So to me the most telling thing is, Andy keeps propping up EB every cycle.  I think that's genuine.  I believe Andy wants him to be an HC and to succeed....BUT I don't think KC believes EB is the best guy for their own HC job if it were open.  That's Nagy.  

Is it right?  IDK...am I right?  IDK...I will say, EB might actually be a good CEO type HC.  I think he's been around Andy long enough to see how a winning operation is run and that he could run a similar program with good assistants if he got the chance.  

My 2 cents.

If you poorly communicate in any position, you're going to have a hard time regardless of race.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.