Brick-By-Brick, the NFL Losing Me As A Fan

pocoboy

2 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Most of the regular season games I watched this season were boring.  The Bills started out the season great and exciting but even they became just above mediocre and not as much fun.

The Bills started out the season being third in qb pressures and looked excellent. 

Once Von went down, we were in the mid 20’s and our dbs were getting picked on. Like you stated we then looked mediocre. 

When Von went down, so did our SB bid. 

• Like (+1) 1

The bottom line in the NFL is money they are going to cater to who ever or what ever will keep the world as we no longer know it to keep coming back us old bastards don't matter as much any more unfortunately every thing including the NFL is & has changed just sometimes it's not for the better .

I knew it was changing when comments about changing the half time entertainment from Aerosmith, The Who, & others saying they hoped they would get rid of the old timers the ones that are icons to saying they would rather have the Black Eyed Peas WTH ...

That pretty much says it all I bet soon we will see Sam Smith & his partner in this years grammy awards as the half time entertainment just to make a statement but it is what it is .

12 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

The only commercial worth a flip was the one w Ozzy and Paul Stanley.  I am a big time rocker, and that was very cool.  The halftime music show is a bit much (if you can even call that music)  A 30 minute halftime is stupid.  Imagine if the Super Bowl was just about the football game.  Why would that be so bad?  Its the championship of the football season.  Should be a treat for all the fans who watched every Sunday year after year, crowning the best team.  Why do non football fans need to watch the NFL football championship?  Non baseball fans don't watch the World Series.  Same with non hockey fans not watching the Stanley Cup.  Does the World Cup have a live music act at halftime?  (I am not sure because I don't watch soccer.)  But I can not imagine big time soccer fans wanting to watch some Urban ***** pop singer in the middle of the biggest game of the year.  

You couldn't possibly sound any older in this post. Not everything is made for us and that's ok

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Bradbury pulled his shirt.  He got burned and got caught trying to make up for it.  Is defensive holding only supposed to be called in the first half?  The refs almost always call PI or holding when you grab the receivers jersey.  

Bradberry has always been overrated.  He is nothing special and got caught moving inside too much against a pretty slow receiver in JSS.  All he could do was hold.  Tre White looked like that when he came back this season.  Because it wasn't called early doesn't mean it shouldn't be called at crunch time.  

I don’t care who the corner is, or how talented they are. It’s the referees job to set standards for calls on the field of play early and maintain consistency with the standard they set. It’s the players job to adapt to that standard. Inconsistency in officiating leads to controversy more times than not. 

On 2/13/2023 at 8:03 AM, nucci said:

Eagles player admitted to holding. 

He definitely held a bit, but no more than the players on both defenses had been holding all game.

To call that penalty, in that moment, sealing the SB for one team, when you didn't call it all game, seemed odd.

• Agree 1

Then they'll take a home game away and place it London... Wait till they prorate your PSL over the other 8 home games and the stray one that will get moved to Detroit in 2028, 2032, and 2036...

😆 

Bend over Bills fan... And wait for the reach around when you lose a playoff bye because they won't call shi... like this:

HoldDiggs!.jpeg.4892a384ff7fc2541279774df6b95802.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

The regular season feels about one game too long.

Two teams per conference should have 1st round playoff byes.

Any insertion of politics makes me tune out.

Sterile, serious, PC culture instead of cheerleaders and Spuds McKenzie. The whole NFL and game coverage is just soooo serious.

Insultingly stupid sideline reporter questions and Chris Collinsworth being a fanboy.

Making the run game obsolete.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/13/2023 at 1:13 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

For the older fans…was the officiating this questionable in the 80s/90s? 

Absolutely, but it also seems they have manipulated rules to inject human bias (what is really a catch) so it’s probably worse these days. 4K tv allows a much better picture to see close calls also.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, cgg716 said:

You couldn't possibly sound any older in this post. Not everything is made for us and that's ok

I think it's okay for football fans to ask that the super bowl be about football.  You might not agree with the specific items that he's raising, but your gatekeeping is not needed.

15 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

I think it's okay for football fans to ask that the super bowl be about football.  You might not agree with the specific items that he's raising, but your gatekeeping is not needed.

If that's the complaint he's like 30 years late. It's not gatekeeping to simply mention that a type of entertainment may not be designed for him, or myself for that matter. That's preposterous 

• Agree 1

On 2/13/2023 at 7:55 AM, nucci said:

Neither do I which is why I didn't start watching till 630pm

I tuned in at 6:30 and still had to sit through almost 20 mins of garbage. Change the start time to 6:50 if you're gonna be honest. League is a joke and gets worse year by year. But Goodell says the league has never been better, especially the officiating. The dude is delusional. 

On 2/15/2023 at 1:45 AM, In Summary said:

The regular season feels about one game too long.

Two teams per conference should have 1st round playoff byes.

Any insertion of politics makes me tune out.

Sterile, serious, PC culture instead of cheerleaders and Spuds McKenzie. The whole NFL and game coverage is just soooo serious.

Insultingly stupid sideline reporter questions and Chris Collinsworth being a fanboy.

Making the run game obsolete.

A 16-game season was perfect. Going to 17 is just dumb and having the conferences alternate between 9 home games and 8 road games every other year. They won't go back to 16 games so increase it to 18 and reduce the preseason. The starters play very little in those games anyway. 18 game season with 2 preseason games is where I see the league going. Agree with you about politics and the PC woke culture BS in football. We get enough of that crap in every other aspect of life. Keep it out of sports. I just want to watch the games and see if my team wins.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, cgg716 said:

If that's the complaint he's like 30 years late. It's not gatekeeping to simply mention that a type of entertainment may not be designed for him, or myself for that matter. That's preposterous 

He knows that it's not designed for him.  That's his point -- the championship game of his favorite sport isn't designed for fans of that sport, and it should be.  

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

He knows that it's not designed for him.  That's his point -- the championship game of his favorite sport isn't designed for fans of that sport, and it should be.  

No, it's not designed for HIM, but it is very much designed for fans of the sport, just not HIM

I use to watch every game possible until about 2016 and now I miss many of the non Bills playoff games because I hate being invested for 3 hours just to have a blown call change everything. You can't allow so much stuff to happen without calls all game long and then call something so tight in the last 2 minutes. I missed large swaths of the conference championships but every comment I read was about how bad the officials were. The NFL could easily fix it and chooses not to because it benefits somehow.

• Agree 1

A lot of my disinterest is the Bills own doing. In fact, it wasn't that long ago that I couldn't be prouder being a Bills fan. The butt whooping we put on the Titans on MNF coming off of the blowout win against the Rams to open the season had me flying higher than I ever remember since I was too young to appreciate the Super Bowl years. But problem was, it was only week 2 and the season was downhill from there. 

How in the HE double hockey sticks does a season where we beat the Chiefs in the regular season and only lose 3 games total feel like such a let down? And I'm talking at the conclusion of the regular season and not when the Bills were eliminated from the playoffs?

Next season is going to be really interesting. I'm sure i will watch every game but I'm going to be more pessimistic, glass half empty than I have ever been. 

The Bills have blown it. The easiest recipe for getting to the Super Bowl is with a good/elite QB on a rookie contract. We blew that opportunity. We had three chances, and not only could we not win the Super Bowl we couldn't even get there. And even worse, we are going backwards two straight years now not reaching the conference championship game. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.