Brick-By-Brick, the NFL Losing Me As A Fan

pocoboy

11 hours ago, nucci said:

Eagles player admitted to holding. If that was a Bills receiver and it wasn't called, this place would have gone nuts. If it  was still ruined for you then you probably should stop watching

I look at officiating 2 ways, and perhaps it's wrong, I won't try to convince you otherwise. 

Was it holding? Yes. 

But to the other side of the coin, they allowed face guarding, face masks and very physical play the entire game with no call, and I am 100% ok with that.

But when you get to where the game is on the line and you make a call like that to decide the game, it sucks.

Why not call the entire game by the book if that's your objective? Don't let guys think it's ok to play rough and then make 1 lone call after letting 30 go during the game and do it when it decides the game. It's complete BS.

Just be consistent. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

I look at officiating 2 ways, and perhaps it's wrong, I won't try to convince you otherwise. 

Was it holding? Yes. 

But to the other side of the coin, they allowed face guarding, face masks and very physical play the entire game with no call, and I am 100% ok with that.

But when you get to where the game is on the line and you make a call like that to decide the game, it sucks.

Why not call the entire game by the book if that's your objective? Don't let guys think it's ok to play rough and then make 1 lone call after letting 30 go during the game and do it when it decides the game. It's complete BS.

Just be consistent. 

I wasn't agreeing with the call. Just stated a few things

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Malazan said:

If a penalty *could* be called on every play then there's a massive problem with the rulebook and the rules are so complex that they can't be enforced appropriately and consistently by the officials then you need to make changes.

I think the rulebook is intentionally complex in order to give them some wiggle room calling fouls when they need to or not when they don't.

6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I watched the first 1/2 and then it seemed to be getting into beating a dead horse territory. One thing I would disagree with was when they said this would get called 100% of the time in the regular season.  BS.  I see guys holding way worse than this in every game I watch it seems that aren't called.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, nucci said:

I thought Smith's play along sideline should have been a catch. Caught the ball, both feet in bounds . Also Sanders caught the ball and had it long enough. That should have been a fumble. The catch rules are dumb

Ball clearly moved when Smith hit the ground.  In fact, it looked like the ball actually hit the ground.  I thought it was a good call.  The Sanders play is never ruled a catch.  He got wacked as soon as the ball got there.  No football move.  I also thought the ball that was challenged that Goedart caught was not a catch either.  That ball looked to be moving too.  But I was biased for the Chiefs since I had a decent sized bet on them.  LOL  All in all a good Super Bowl to watch.  But the Eagles defense had no answers in the second half.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Your confusion is that you think the NFL is changing.

You are changing.

Officiating always has been and always will be bad............Goodell wasn't wrong when he said it's never been better...........so your complaint sounds contrived.

Maybe you just have less tolerance for it because the rest of the content is no longer directed at entertaining you.........and instead at the demographics that pay the bills and will-be paying the bills in the near future.    That's the circle of life.  

You can be mad about it or have fun with it.........last year we had an 18 year old at the party who didn't know who 50 Cent was and thought he was wearing the "50" medallion on his chain because he was 50 years old.     This year we had kids who had no idea who Terry Bradshaw or Paul McCartney were.   

It's a kids game played by men in their 20's........if we can't play along they got Doug Flutie selling us Nugenix to help with that.........I'm actually pleasantly surprised when the NFL and advertisers still throw the 60+ crowd a few bones with guest appearances and references in commercials etc..

The only commercial worth a flip was the one w Ozzy and Paul Stanley.  I am a big time rocker, and that was very cool.  The halftime music show is a bit much (if you can even call that music)  A 30 minute halftime is stupid.  Imagine if the Super Bowl was just about the football game.  Why would that be so bad?  Its the championship of the football season.  Should be a treat for all the fans who watched every Sunday year after year, crowning the best team.  Why do non football fans need to watch the NFL football championship?  Non baseball fans don't watch the World Series.  Same with non hockey fans not watching the Stanley Cup.  Does the World Cup have a live music act at halftime?  (I am not sure because I don't watch soccer.)  But I can not imagine big time soccer fans wanting to watch some Urban ***** pop singer in the middle of the biggest game of the year.  

• Eyeroll 1

9 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

For the older fans…was the officiating this questionable in the 80s/90s? 

Officiating has ALWAYS been questionable - or at least questioned.  Not only are there humans involved, who are prone to mistakes, but fans of losing teams just love to blame losses on officials. If it get raised more now it's really just a factor of more cameras and camera angles that expose the problem calls.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I started watching at 6:30 PST, skipped all the crap. I actually found that the announcers were low key and didn’t get in the way of the game. Although I still can’t help but hear the female ice skater voice from the analyst. Wow FOX. So it seemed like a regular season 1pm game on FOX to me. btw I was done with Super Bowl parties ten years ago, so old man here.

Olson and Burkhardt did a good low key job.  And the other top FOX team of Moose Johnston and Joe Davis is also good.  I wish they all were like that.  One guy I miss who I don't think is on anymore is Chris Spielman.  The guy knows football so well.  And has that dry sense of humor.  

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Stats also admit that that was the only instance in the entire game in which a DB held receiver.  

it was a ticky tac penalty to decide the champion.  A penalty that occurs on almost every pass play.  A penalty that decided the champion.  

couldn’t have been a worse ending to the season.  Fitting

Bradbury pulled his shirt.  He got burned and got caught trying to make up for it.  Is defensive holding only supposed to be called in the first half?  The refs almost always call PI or holding when you grab the receivers jersey.  

5 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

The issue is that the refs hadn’t been calling that penalty earlier in the game. Bradberry got away with the same grabby coverage on several similar routes during the game. Changing what is and is not going to be called in the last five minutes of the game incenses the fans and causes controversy. 

Bradberry has always been overrated.  He is nothing special and got caught moving inside too much against a pretty slow receiver in JSS.  All he could do was hold.  Tre White looked like that when he came back this season.  Because it wasn't called early doesn't mean it shouldn't be called at crunch time.  

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Yea I thought the same. At that point in the game, to determine the outcome, just felt wrong.

Thought there was a worse missed hold on Smith-Schuster earlier in the game, when they didn't call that... no reason to call the one to end the game.

Timing can be unfortunate but if it's a penalty in the first minute it's a penalty in the last.  Anything else gives refs even more subjective power than they already have.  

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Bradbury pulled his shirt.  He got burned and got caught trying to make up for it.  Is defensive holding only supposed to be called in the first half?  The refs almost always call PI or holding when you grab the receivers jersey.  

Bradberry has always been overrated.  He is nothing special and got caught moving inside too much against a pretty slow receiver in JSS.  All he could do was hold.  Tre White looked like that when he came back this season.  Because it wasn't called early doesn't mean it shouldn't be called at crunch time.  

I’ve watched enough football to know:

-that there are different levels of egregiousness when committing penalties. when there isn’t one defensive holding/dpi penalty thrown all game, they were clearly letting them get away with the less egregious infractions.  That was a less egregious infraction.  

-keeping it consistent is the only thing teams and fans care about.  If they would have kept it consistent, they wouldn’t have thrown a flag.  

we’ve seen them NOT throw flags on MUCH more egregious holds.  

23 hours ago, Buckets said:

I was afraid that I was the only one.  I don't get reved up about football like I used to.

Most of the regular season games I watched this season were boring.  The Bills started out the season great and exciting but even they became just above mediocre and not as much fun.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.