Brick-By-Brick, the NFL Losing Me As A Fan

pocoboy

So here - I'm willing to concede a defensive holding can be a justified ending. This wasn't. If Mahomes gets someone to come offside and it's a first down, fine. You just have to make the punishment fit the crime, and the official who threw that flag would either have to be a) one of the lower IQ individuals in the profession to not understand the gravity of that moment, b) told that he should throw it by a higher-up in his ear, or c) be deceitful in his own right.

I don't want to be dramatic about all of this. Yes, the nature of the post is that way. It's just tougher and tougher to accept the outcomes of these games.

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

What would you do if the person who the penalty was called on says it was a penalty? 

My assumption would be that the coming-off-a-one-year-deal aging defensive back was told by someone in the league to admit to it if he wants his next contract.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

I didn't even bother watching.  The Super Bowl is nothing but a pop-culture phenomena, much more than it is a sporting event, and the NFL has made it that way deliberately, I typically don't bother watching.  If the Bills were in it, I would obviously watch it, but I'd have to hold my nose and would turn it off at halftime.  Otherwise, to me it's no different than any other game that's on on the weekend.  

If the Bills ever moved, I'd be able to count on one hand the number of major-league sporting events I'd watch in a year, with fingers to spare.

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, StHustle said:

26-BEDFA5-D1-B8-4886-A0-BA-FB251-AF3-B02

That was a very split-second occurrence; he didn't continue to pull. As you can see by that very picture, it was prior to the receiver's turn upfield, so it didn't impede the receiver's ability to get to where the ball was going to be thrown.  If anything, that's a pull in the direction the receiver wanted to go anyway.

And the greater point is they hadn't called other examples of that all night long.  Refs have to be consistent.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

9 minutes ago, Negan said:

Bills couldn't get that big call against the Bucs last year, Chiefs get those calls all day 

Here's the reality for us - the NFL now views the Chiefs as their new Patriots. It's not going to change until Mahomes retires. They will use every resource in their power to enable them. Period.

I am wondering if we're going to be Rivers and the Chargers at this point. It's not looking good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

After every big play or semi-big play I’m scanning the field looking for flags or waiting on a challenge.  That decent Eagles gain down the sideline in the first half that was over ruled on replay is what kills interest for me.  

Too lazy to look up the receiver but he had at least 3 feet down (maybe 4) controls the ball all the way until he is out of bounds when he falls and the ball moves.   I have no idea at what point the process of a catch is completed and he becomes a runner.  Is it 5 steps, 50, or is it just made up on the go?  

Was watching the game with my dad and he goes no way this is getting overturned.  I said yeah it is, look the ball moves and hits the ground.  Dad replies, but he had both feet down and possession and then goes out of bounds.   I said I agree but out of bounds doesn’t matter nor does the 2 feet down - the ball moves and hits the ground when he goes down.  It’s a catch by every logical standard including the naked eye.  

I’m at the point where I wish they would get rid of replay or go sky judge full time.

Edited by Blazman11
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, pocoboy said:

Here's the reality for us - the NFL now views the Chiefs as their new Patriots. It's not going to change until Mahomes retires. They will use every resource in their power to enable them. Period.

I am wondering if we're going to be Rivers and the Chargers at this point. It's not looking good.

I would have loved to be the Chargers during the drought years. 

Allen is better than Rivers was by a mile. The problem is our coaching staff is living 20 years in the past and trying to win on the back of a bloated defense instead of investing in the guy who is actually making them look good. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Eagles player admitted to holding. If that was a Bills receiver and it wasn't called, this place would have gone nuts. If it  was still ruined for you then you probably should stop watching

It wasn't that it was holding that was the problem. They had let that stuff go all game and decided to call it at the end. It ended up giving the chiefs the win. Same thing happened last season in the Super Bowl for the Rams. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

I’m flashing back to last year when the refs didn’t call Diggs being molested in the endzone by a Tampa defender near the end of the game that would have probably gave the Bills a win. And THAT was a penalty for sure.

The one yesterday was a flat out joke and decided a championship.

Pass Interference and Holding calls are the most subjective calls in the game, and different officiating crews can be wildy inconsistent on these calls. Sometimes, the same crew, in the same game, can be wildly inconsistent. This is nothing new, and has been this way in the NFL for decades. It's frustrating and very often unfair, and does lead to speculation that some games are fixed, but short of video reviewing every pass play, not sure what they can do about it.

I agree with the OP, but for maybe a different perspective, while i generally enjoy watching football, I”m an adult, and its a game, when I was a child, it was all bigger than life, now its just a game that takes way to long to watch, a one hour long game that takes four plus hours to sit through, which takes a lot of the joy out of it, and yes its also the talking heads, trying to be stars themselves…, spare me, and then you get to the super bowl, yikes, talk about over blown, now it takes five or six plus hours to watch the one hour long game wtf, and the absolute crap that is peddled as entertainment is a crime against humanity, these acts are just bad, the product doesn’t stand up to the hype, ever, which also takes away from the joy of watching the game, i could go on, and i will, 😁

Always remember this, the entire NFL is a private club, and that everything that irritates you about the NFL is approved by the owners, yes, to include the Pegulas, as good a billionaires as one might find, I would comment to the OP to enjoy the game for what it actually is, and ignore the steaming mounds of fluff that surround  it, there is way more to life than the one hour long game…, keep it all in perspective,

GO  BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1

They let them play all game. 

for 58 minutes, you truly got the sense that this epic game would be decided by one team winning the game.  Making the play that defines their season.  Drama, suspense and an exciting finish that this epic game deserved.  

Then, for reasons unknown, the refs .. who let them play all game, call a ticky-tack penalty that ends it.  

Just a travesty.. and it 100% took away from an epic game.  It’s literally all anyone is talking about today .. instead the amazing play by both teams. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They let them play all game. 

for 58 minutes, you truly got the sense that this epic game would be decided by one team winning the game.  Making the play that defines their season.  Drama, suspense and an exciting finish that this epic game deserved.  

Then, for reasons unknown, the refs .. who let them play all game, call a ticky-tack penalty that ends it.  

Just a travesty.. and it 100% took away from an epic game.  It’s literally all anyone is talking about today .. instead the amazing play by both teams. 

was looking forward to OT

That flag was not as bad as many others you see from officials. He WAS held. I don't think it was a bad hold. It was a ticky tack call, for sure, and in that moment you should probably let them play.

I don't think the outrage is warranted, personally.

I thought it was 1 of the most exciting SB I've seen in some time by 2 teams I don't like at all and it was ruined by the refs once again and it's becoming an occurrence all the time now. It's sad that the most trending part of the SB is saying it's rigged or an Eagles fan punching his TV and almost abusing his friends. Everyone knows that was a holding call including Bradberry but it was let go all game long and then you make it on the game deciding drive where the ball was clearly 5 yards beyond the WR and uncatchable? I hate saying sports are rigged because it makes me feel like a conspiracy theorist type lol but they're definitely making it seem that way more often than not lately, all the billions the NFL makes and you can't find FT refs? 

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel2014
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.