Brick-By-Brick, the NFL Losing Me As A Fan

pocoboy

I hate to say it, but I don't feel that they want guys like me as consumers anymore. I don't tune in for theatrics, politics, or the type of pop music that litters this "spectacle."

And then, we finally get to the true reason that those who are their loyal, week-in and week-out customers tune in, and then they have systems in place which allow for 1 of 7 underpaid, part-time officials to ruin our primary focus. They take the game and turn it into a mockery.

All of this thrown together, and it gives me the feeling I have better ways to waste my Sunday afternoons. Goodell & the NFL are ruining something I've loved since childhood.

And I even wanted (ever so slightly) for the Chiefs to win.

Edited by pocoboy
  • Like (+1) 17
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 22
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• pocoboy changed the title to Brick-By-Brick, the NFL Losing Me As A Fan
1 minute ago, pocoboy said:

I hate to say it, but I don't feel that they want guys like me as consumers anymore. I don't tune in for theatrics, politics, or the type of pop music that litters this "spectacle."

And then, we finally get to the true reason that those who are their loyal, week-in and week-out customers tune in, and then they have systems in place which allow for 1 of 7 underpaid, part-time officials to ruin our primary focus. They take the game and turn it into a mockery.

All of this thrown together, and it gives me the feeling I have better ways to waste my Sunday afternoons. Goodell & the NFL are ruining something I've loved since childhood.

Neither do I which is why I didn't start watching till 630pm

• Like (+1) 20
  • Vomit 2
  • Agree 8

7 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

I didn't either. And they still managed to ruin it for me.

I hate complaining about officiating, but they make it way too obvious.

Eagles player admitted to holding. If that was a Bills receiver and it wasn't called, this place would have gone nuts. If it  was still ruined for you then you probably should stop watching

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

I was afraid that I was the only one.  I don't get reved up about football like I used to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, nucci said:

Neither do I which is why I didn't start watching till 630pm

I'm in the same boat, and I noticed that they actually pushed it out this year.  It was typically a 6:25 kickoff - foot actually meets ball.  Last night it was 6:43 EST.  18 extra minutes of chum and flotsam.  Wonder how many years it'll take before it kicks off at 7:00?

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Eagles player admitted to holding. If that was a Bills receiver and it wasn't called, this place would have gone nuts

Let’s also be honest. If that was a Bills defender and it was called this place would go worse than nuts.

I thought it was a ticky-tack penalty AT BEST and one you certainly don’t want a league championship game decided on. I felt it was an awful look for the NFL for that to happen.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 27

Just now, Beast said:

Let’s also be honest. If that was a Bills defender and it was called this place would go worse than nuts.

I thought it was a ticky-tack penalty AT BEST and one you certainly don’t want a league championship game decided on. I felt it was an awful look for the NFL for that to happen.

I kinda agree

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

That was a bad call. Even if he did hold a tiny bit it wouldn't have made a difference because the ball was already in the air and it was a bad throw that nobody was going to catch. The ref needs to understand the situation and take into account whether it was a catchable ball. Game shouldn't have ended like that

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 9

8 minutes ago, nucci said:

Eagles player admitted to holding. If that was a Bills receiver and it wasn't called, this place would have gone nuts. If it  was still ruined for you then you probably should stop watching

It looked like holding to me. People just mad because it’s the Chiefs. When you watched the game nobody on the Eagles was complaining…..they knew the call was legit.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yea I thought the same. At that point in the game, to determine the outcome, just felt wrong.

Thought there was a worse missed hold on Smith-Schuster earlier in the game, when they didn't call that... no reason to call the one to end the game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

See you in the fall👍

• Haha (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

That was a bad call. Even if he did hold a tiny bit it wouldn't have made a difference because the ball was already in the air and it was a bad throw that nobody was going to catch. The ref needs to understand the situation and take into account whether it was a catchable ball. Game shouldn't have ended like that

The ball wasn’t in the air. The WR ran a whip route(terrible one at that), the DB was holding before he even dropped his hips to explode back they other way…..the pass was in the air once he got loose. It was holding…..We’ve seen Tre White get flagged 4-5 times this season for the same thing.

• Disagree 4
  • Agree 6

I don't like all the political stuff with the game either. That is the world we live in today. The game itself was fantastic. Many times, the game doesn't live up to the hype but this one did. What sucks is we now have a long offseason. Baseball (Yankee fan here) is around the corner. That helps but nothing beats football.

• Like (+1) 3

I agree about the overall presentation of the game nowadays but unfortunately from a marketing standpoint those of us old school fans are no longer the demographic they are catering to.  Times change, things evolve, and we are getting older unfortunately.  But it's still football being played at the highest level and the game was great minus the holding BS at the end.  I miss the old NFL for sure and wish we could go back to those days but it's not how the world works unfortunately.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.