ESPN SB Coverage & Riddick's Post-Match comments on Chiefs O-Line

SydneyBillsFan

I suspect almost nobody here got the ESPN coverage of the Superbowl. It is something that I believe they do exclusively for their Australian & NZ audience.

So...immediately after the game, Louis Riddick's first monologue was as follows:

This victory started after the SB loss to Tampa. Chief's GM Brett Veach, as soon as that game was over, on the bus ride out of the stadium, thought to himself and then turned to Andy Reid and said "I will fix this O-Line. That will not happen to us again. We will not have our QB under duress like that ever again, if I can help it" And then immediately he went to work. He went out and signed Joe Thuney, he drafted Creed Humphrey, they got Orlando Brown, got Trey Smith. And the result?- to lose Tyreek hill, lose CEH on on IR, and draft a RB in the 7th - get out of here!

Your move Beane.

Edited by SydneyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

I suspect almost nobody here got the ESPN coverage of the Superbowl. It is something that I believe they do exclusively for their Australian & NZ audience.

So...immediately after the game, Louis Riddick's first monologue was as follows:

This victory started after the SB loss to Tampa. Chief's GM Brett Veach, as soon as that game was over, on the bus ride out of the stadium, thought to himself and then turned to Andy Reid and said "I will fix this O-Line. That will not happen to us again. We will not have our QB under duress like that ever again, if I can help it" And then immediately he went to work. He went out and signed Joe Thuney, he drafted Creed Humphrey, they got Orlando Brown, got Trey Smith. And the result?- to lose Tyreek hill, lose CEH on on IR, and draft a RB in the 7th - get out of here!

Your move Beane.

Brandon Beane said the same last January. "It starts with protecting 17. I gotta do a better job of that. It's on me."

He signed Roger Saffold and extended Ryan Bates. 

Your move indeed Mr Beane. He can have a do over. He won't get many more if that oline isn't fixed.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

And in general, the Bills have to invest more and hit on offensive draft picks.

No WRs, no Tight Ends, it’s been running backs and mid-round lineman for the most part.

Beane needs a great draft. 

And then McDermott needs to actually allow the rookies to play in the games, preferably early in the season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

No WRs, no Tight Ends, it’s been running backs and mid-round lineman for the most part.

Agree...The Bills should let go off the high priced FA (Poyer, Edmunds etc) and sign mid-tier FAs on defense.  On. Offense, they need to draft and draft well.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Xwnyer said:

Draft needs to great however a balanced attack with a threat to run and an imaginative offense play calling is needed.  I have serious doubts about the OC being way over his head with no idea how to design an offense to own a defense. 

He must get the benefit of a second year. It's only fair to assume that there will be natural improvement in his second year.

Which leads to the main point of this thread - fix the bloody O-line and the offense will improve by default!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

Bills should have had these same priorities a year ago. Instead, they threw money at a 34 year old defender. I’m not confident the philosophy can change.

correct it was a big splash signing and a big contract yet we brought in a cheap OG.   Look how bad the Eagles Defense looked against the Chiefs.  They kept them off balance all game with quick hit passing and very good running plays.

• Agree 1

KC OL should have been collectively Super Bowl MVP.  Mahones was ok, especially gutting it out on an ankle that wasn't 100%, but I didn't see any spectacular throws or for that matter I didn't see any KC receivers with great catches (maybe the shoestring catch by Kelce).  The OL gave Mahones a clean pocket pretty much all night long, against a DL which was supposed to be the second coming of the '85 Bears.  Reddick was a non-factor, so was Hargroves.  

If you recall, our OL got destroyed in the AFCC game two weeks before KC's line got destroyed by Tampa Bay in the Super Bowl.  KC's GM went out and got Thuney, Brown, Humprey and Smith in the same offseason, creating one of the two or three best OL's in the game.  What did our GM do?

It is so obvious that significant resources need to be put into the OL this offseason.  Nothing else comes close in importance.  I know a lot of posters keep talking about adding another top flight WR but look at KC.  Basically a couple of JAG's at WR.  Keep Diggs, Davis, Shakir, Knox and Morris together for another year.  Davis is in a contract year.  Sometimes that inspires good to great years (Edmunds had his best year in contract year).  If Allen has the time to throw and a legitimate running attack that doesn't involve Allen being leading rusher two thirds of the games, we will be more than fine.

11 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

First he's got to get approval from McDermott not to draft 3 DE's.

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Brandon Beane said the same last January. "It starts with protecting 17. I gotta do a better job of that. It's on me."

Your move indeed Mr Beane. He can have a do over. He won't get many more if that oline isn't fixed.

I honestly don’t think that Ryan batesis a bad player

Saffold used to be a good player. He just got old

I would really like to see them over address the position even if they feel like they’ve done a little bit. Too much address of the way you have been addressing the line on the other side of the ball.

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And waaay overpaid him in the process.  I don't know what the heck they saw in film, camp, and practice that made them think that guy could still play.  🤦‍♂️

That signing is worth about 50 facepalms.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I would really like to see them over address the position even if they feel like they’ve done a little bit. Too much address of the way you have been addressing the line on the other side of the ball.

They put neosporin on a broken back.  Did the minimum with hope that Josh’s mobility and Kromer it would be enough to mask it.  They were wrong.  Big time. 

Time to let all the free agents on D go and build the OL properly.  

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Time must work different in your world? Von's not even 34 now, a year after the fact.🤯

But look at who you are quoting. The details don’t matter as long as he sticks to his narrative. We rolled the dice, and we lost big time when Von got hurt. If he’s there to put pressure on Burrow, we may have had a very different game. Sometimes that’s just how it turns out. When you take a big swing there is always risk. 

Pull a miracle fixing the OL and get Josh another weapon or two. It sounds daunting, but we are still one of the best teams in the league. Nail it on a handful of new contributors on offense and this can be a very dangerous team. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

But look at who you are quoting. The details don’t matter as long as he sticks to his narrative. We rolled the dice, and we lost big time when Von got hurt. If he’s there to put pressure on Burrow, we may have had a very different game. Sometimes that’s just how it turns out. When you take a big swing there is always risk. 

Pull a miracle fixing the OL and get Josh another weapon or two. It sounds daunting, but we are still one of the best teams in the league. Nail it on a handful of new contributors on offense and this can be a very dangerous team. 

Either 2 OL, 1 WR or 2 WRs, 1 OL in the 1st 3 rounds. I would prefer to go WR in the 1st and address OL in rounds 2 & 3. Unless one of the OL in the first falls to them.

Von was worth the risk, the defense was alot better because we could get consistent pressure while only rushing 4 guys. 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

See I think Saffold has always overrated in my view.

• SydneyBillsFan changed the title to ESPN SB Coverage & Riddick's Post-Match comments on Chiefs O-Line
14 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Your move Beane.

Veach playing chess and Beane playing checkers ! Btw the Bills interviewed Veach for GM job I wish we would’ve hired him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.