The Super Bowl winning team just gave up 35 points in a Championship game.

Beast

6 hours ago, NoSaint said:

he’s one of the toughest calls. The modern league is essentially build an offense and a pass rush and then be opportunistic on the back end.

edmunds does a lot well but he’s not ending many drives with turnovers, sacks, or broken up passes. He doesn’t set an emotional tenor for those around him. He seems fine at getting the defender set but never hear exceptional stories of hot reads and audibles. At some point you can’t pay guys simply for being very good at ILB on a mature roster. He’s got to be the identity not the role player. I have a hard time seeing him cross that threshold.

Edmunts has great physicak skills, he's big, fast and strong., unfortunately he has poor football instincts..., or is it  Frazier's scheme, or is it both?!

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This is just a hot take.

What happened the last time the Chiefs were in the SB?  Bucs D held them to 9 points and smashed them.  

You can’t make wild declarations off one game and say that is the best way.  Pats record breaking undefeated offense scored 19 points and lost to Giants.  Broncos broke all offensive records shortly after and got smashed by Seahawks 42-8 in the Super Bowl. 

3 of the top 5 offenses all time lost bad in the Super Bowl and averaged 13 points per game.  

That being said…FRAZIER is so weak, that I agree, save the money and spend it all on offense.  Not because of this Super Bowl, but because it doesn’t matter how good the defense is, Frazier is gonna lay down in the playoffs regardless.  So spend all our money on the OL and weapons for Josh.

Spot on Alphadawg7!

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The defense will take a noticeable step back, but is it smart to have two $100M contracts on defense? 

Resigning Edmunds will take virtually of the available cap dollars.

should be interesting.  Edmunds will be average in a traditional 4-3 as the offense will run straight at him.  

8 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Who is going to be our ILB since you're letting him walk? I'm not saying I disagree with you I just want to hear your realistic replacement? Who are you getting to protect Allen also?

Don't care, it's inconsequential 

the philly d folded hard when it needed a stop, i think that's the way to see how they didn't help win the game.

also, philly lost because of RB runs up the gut.  having oliver getting skated and edmunds 15 yards back won't do anything about that, and if we keep edmunds at like 18mm a year or whatever, that's nearly 30mm of cap in those two guys and keep in mind oliver rides the bench about half the time anyhow.  

given allen another nfl WR and top 10 (not top 3 like the two teams today) blocking and he puts up 40 in any prime time game.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This is just a hot take.

What happened the last time the Chiefs were in the SB?  Bucs D held them to 9 points and smashed them.  

Look what the Chiefs did after this game.  They traded for LT Orlando Brown Jr, signed LG Joe Thuney, drafted C Creed Humphrey and RG Trey Smith.  They totally overhauled their Oline.  Bills need to redo their oline but probably won't.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Patriots gave up 33 and lost. 

It happens. 

I can't believe how bad the Eagles D was.

KC has a dominant offense and executed their best when it mattered most. Eagles D got beat by an elite QB, top OL, and an array of weapons. Time to give credit.

8 minutes ago, Airseven said:

KC has a dominant offense and executed their best when it mattered most. Eagles D got beat by an elite QB, top OL, and an array of weapons. Time to give credit.

All true.  Andy Reid is better than McD in coaching and better than Beane in drafting.  

Have to credit Steve Spagnuolo as well. The Chiefs gave up 35 points and his defense was getting ripped apart in the 1st half. But he made some nice halftime adjustments and their defense got key stops and held them to 11 points in the second half. Quite impressive especially since the Eagles had the ball for almost the entire 1st half. Also, the Chiefs OL with a bigtime performance. I hope Beane took notice of that and remembers it when the draft and FA get here.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Did you also notice that Mahomes passed for only 182 yards but KC ran for 158?  Does that mean teams don't need a big passing game to win a Super Bowl? What kind of "strict offense" do you run?

You raise a great point Promo but the NFL really is a QB driven league. I honestly believe that if Josh Allen was the QB of the Eagles, they would be so good that it's hard for me to visualize them ever losing a game. 

I am fan of Hurts. There are many wonderful things to say about the man. He is a good passer, a great runner, and NEVER loses his cool. That said, I wouldn't place him in that elite class, at least not yet. He has the best roster in the NFL (imo) and still fell just a tad short to a HOF QB (and a HOF TE). 

Call me crazy but I think that Josh is as great as Mahomes, or at least VERY VERY close. To not surround him with great weapons and much more blocking is criminal. How much were we thinking about cornerbacks last night? The Chiefs would have crushed our defense which despite McDermott's love, isn't nearly as good as the Philly defense. Not even close.

In any event, the OP is correct.  I too long for the days of the Steel Curtain, etc. but until I see differntly; those days are gone. Again, we absolutely MUST get Josh more protection and weapons. There is no rational alternative.

As always, jmo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I’m not optimistic that the mentality will change and even if they do will Beane actually hit on his top draft picks. The second round has been particularly painful with us getting very little out of those selections.

Also, the degree of importance placed in special teams is maddening with us keeping spots for players like Taiwan Jones year after year instead of using the last few spots to keep and develop young players that can step in and play when they are needed. Most kicks aren’t even returned and with as much emphasis as McDermott puts on special teams I don’t see it giving us any real advantage. 

I too like Edmunds but have a bad feeling they will do whatever they can to get him under contract as he is thought to be a core player. His playing style and position does not justify a large contract as this league is all about sacks, turnovers and creating and not getting called for penalties. It is the only way to get off the field against good offenses. 

Diggs is a really good wr, comparable to a Marvin Harrison. He is our biggest threat outside of Josh but it is a result of his superior route running and body control. He is not a game breaker in the sense u can just throw him a wr screen and he will make guys miss or take it to the house like a Chase or Hill. He’s also not a jump ball guy u can just throw up a pass to and he will elevate and moss his opponents. So more weapons are needed, especially when McDermott is going against the best offensive minds in the game. His defensive prowess is borderline useless in big games against the top qbs as they often turn into shootouts. Without Daboll, we aren’t outwitting the other teams like the Bengals and Chiefs so more talent on that side of the ball is needed.

Bills have had a steady incline on raising the talent level since McDermott and Beane arrived and this is the first year I anticipate a decline based on our cap situation and some aging vets. A superior draft is needed and yet McDermott has seemed reluctant to lean on rookies. Idk, there are a lot of holes and AFC is much stronger than NFC at this time so it will be a monumental feat to get this team to SB next year. 

Edited by racketmaster

Eagles one of the best pass rushing teams in NFL history. 0 sacks. 38 points.

49ers best defense in the NFL. 31 points.

Last year. Pats second best defense in the league. Blown the hell up by the Bills. 

Last year. Bills defense best in the league. Shredded by the chiefs. 

In today's NFL, come playoff time an elite offense will beat an elite defense almost every time. 

Defense does not matter. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

I’m sure you could’ve written the same post the previous 4 seasons…. When the losing team didn’t score over 20 in any of the 4 games.  

defense matters.  Offense matters.  STs matter. 

this post is so stupid.  

yes, we need to put more focus on the offensive side of the ball as we haven’t invested enough into if.  Just say that.  Saying that defense doesn’t matter is just about THE DUMBEST thing someone could say.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m sure you could’ve written the same post the previous 4 seasons…. When the losing team didn’t score over 20 in any of the 4 games.  

defense matters.  Offense matters.  STs matter. 

this post is so stupid.  

yes, we need to put more focus on the offensive side of the ball as we haven’t invested enough into if.  Just say that.  Saying that defense doesn’t matter is just about THE DUMBEST thing someone could say.  

The point is with the rule changes to protect QBs and let WRs get away with murder, even the 85 bears would have gotten 38 dropped on them last night.  The only chance is to be ultra efficient on O.  Marginal additional investment in D will not pay off.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.