Rihanna-A boring halftime performance

Billsfan1972

1 hour ago, skibum said:

At one point she was pulling the mic down from her face, but words were still being sung. Blatant lip synching, and it was as if she wanted the TV audience to know it. That's when I knew she was just phoning it in. 

ALL performers at SB half time shows have been lip synching for decades now. I think it was the Red Hot Chili Peppers, back in 2014, who came out and explained why they absolutely need to lip synch for the show....not enough time to do pre-show sound checks and make sure everything was connected correctly, and A-OK...becuase their fans were mad that they lip synched for the show.

I assumed the latter is common knowledge, but I guess not.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

ALL performers at SB half time shows have been lip synching for decades now. I think it was the Red Hot Chili Peppers, back in 2014, who came out and explained why they absolutely need to lip synch for the show....not enough time to do pre-show sound checks and make sure everything was connected correctly, and A-OK...becuase their fans were mad that they lip synched for the show.

That's true. That's why every halftime show sucks.

Super bowl halftime shows are and will  continue to be terrible/a joke, it’s all manufactured hype with no substance, hence they always flop, a “good show” is only good in relationship to the misery that is the rest of them, 

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I doubt Prince or Springsteen lip-synced. 

I for one actually always am for the most part interested in the halftime show (may change if a Country act, though maybe Blake Shelton or Keith Urban could work) and the spectacle, but as said yesterdays was one of the worst I thought.  

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I doubt Prince or Springsteen lip-synced. 

I for one actually always am for the most part interested in the halftime show (may change if a Country act, though maybe Blake Shelton or Keith Urban could work) and the spectacle, but as said yesterdays was one of the worst I thought.  

The NFL mandates a vocal track, that includes Prince and Springsteen. The one thing you do get from both of those guys that are real is their guitar solos. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 2

Shocker this board didn’t like the halftime show.  Every year, this board of old wet blankets starts all these threads about hating the halftime show even when it’s mostly regarded as great.  

I feel like the only halftime show that would get any positive threads here would be some old timer artist or band.  Anything other than that and this board revolts lol.

Last years halftime show won an Emmy, board still hated it lol.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Shocker this board didn’t like the halftime show.  Every year, this board of old wet blankets starts all these threads about hating the halftime show even when it’s mostly regarded as great.  

I feel like the only halftime show that would get any positive threads here would be some old timer artist or band.  Anything other than that and this board revolts lol.

if last years super bowl show was so fantastic what was it?  Do you remember it without looking it up?

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If you look at that one thread where everyone was introducing themselves (started by the Italian guy) there are a lot of older people in there, so I can def see a disconnect generationally. I personally was not a fan bc most of the songs I like of hers are due to the other artists where she was featured (like Jayz Kanye and Eminem) but they were not there with her.

I wouldnt say it was bad but I wouldnt say it was great either.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

100% this. Spot on.

Unless it's AC/DC with guest appearances by Aerosmith, ZZ Top, and Bruce Springsteen playing Elvis's guitar, we hear a bunch of shouting at the clouds and fist shaking at "those damned kids with their hippity hop music". At least that's what it ultimately amounts to.

I thought it was a fine halftime show. Not earth shattering, not an all time great, but fine. A talented person sang some of her hits and there was some cool pageantry. What do people want, exactly?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

OMG, I thought The Who were a terrible half time show. I like all the artists from 2005-2010, but I didn't like most of them as half time shows at all. Except for Prince, that was awesome!

I am not a huge Rihanna fan in general. I liker her genre, and I actually do think a bunch of her songs bops. But I saw too many videos of her botched vocals to be a fan of her talent or lack there of. I just think she is a benefactor of the Jay-Z machine, who I do really love!

I  don't love The Weekend either. It just all feels like he is forcing me to sit passenger in some weird heroin trip he is on. Other than that I think the NFL has gotten a lot of the halftime shows right recently. Last years show was phenomenal! 

13 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

She looked pregnant to me.  Even so, she's not a great dancer or anything.  I didn't expect the world. 

She used to wind it quite fine. Thank you 

12 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

She must be doing something right(Or in this case several things). 7 days shy of her 35th birthday and she's worth $1.7 billion. 

Haters gonna hate!!

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Logic said:

100% this. Spot on.

Unless it's AC/DC with guest appearances by Aerosmith, ZZ Top, and Bruce Springsteen playing Elvis's guitar, we hear a bunch of shouting at the clouds and fist shaking at "those damned kids with their hippity hop music". At least that's what it ultimately amounts to.

I thought it was a fine halftime show. Not earth shattering, not an all time great, but fine. A talented person sang some of her hits and there was some cool pageantry. What do people want, exactly?

I don't know any artists who are universally adored by all generations, culture's, ethnicities.   In short, a large group will probably always be disappointed no matter who is playing.   I didn't see anything wrong with the performance although I enjoyed last year's more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The NFL aren't idiots. No one act will please everyone so they choose the one that will generate the most buzz and appeal to a younger demo. 

the NFL chooses whoever will do it for free (they don't get paid); which is why it's generally hard to get a good performance.  This year, we get someone who took a 5 year break from music and is using the halftime show to regenerate her career.  The "positive press" is likely being fed by her PR team.  

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

the NFL chooses whoever will do it for free (they don't get paid); which is why it's generally hard to get a good performance.  This year, we get someone who took a 5 year break from music and is using the halftime show to regenerate her career.  The "positive press" is likely being fed by her PR team.  

I'm surprised by that but I don't believe that is the only factor in choosing a halftime show.

43 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I thought most of the board liked last year's show?  

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm surprised by that but I don't believe that is the only factor in choosing a halftime show.

https://nz.finance.yahoo.com/news/rihanna-did-not-paid-jaw-162139161.html

the show is a huge free Ad for the artist.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.