This place has become poisonous

Dr. K

I’m not sure why this is complicated or confusing to anyone. The Bills are obviously competitive but have just as obviously reached a plateau. Their recent playoff resume is growing ever longer by the year. Many of us want to see them take the next step, but the organization appears stubbornly resistant, and looks to many of us to be content where they are. It’s a simple debate. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not sure why this is complicated or confusing to anyone. The Bills are obviously competitive but have just as obviously reached a plateau. Their recent playoff resume is growing ever longer by the year. Many of us want to see them take the next step, but the organization appears stubbornly resistant, and looks to many of us to be content where they are. It’s a simple debate. 

I don't think many are content with where they are.  I think they are happy where they have come from but won't find any fan that doesn't want more.

24 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I would. All I want is a super bowl. I'm 50. I don't have the time or patience to wait another 20 years.

You are actually young among active posters on this board.  Lots of people in their 60's 70's and 80's. My guess is that 10% of the active posters have a life expectancy shorter than Josh Allen's remaining career expectancy.  My personsal opinion is that Josh is the last super star QB the Bills will have in my lifetime, and my sense of urgency for the Bills to win is to take advantage of Allen's talent before it is too late. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/11/2023 at 11:19 AM, Dr. K said:

I went away for the last weeks since the loss to the Bengals thinking that of course people are going to act out their disappointment; it's natural, I thought, let them get it out of their system. But it's as bad this morning as ever.  

I'm in the same spot as you. I figured things would chill out after some time and especially after it became clear no one was going anywhere.

But it's just as bad now as it was right after the loss. I can understand the fears that maybe this is far as this coaching staff can get us and of Beane's Drafts.

But is this what the board is going to be all 2023? People posting that the coaching staff and front office need to go unsolicited in every reply? Secretly or not so secretly rooting on the teams demise so that there will be change?

It's become a really depressing toxic place of late for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'm in the same spot as you. I figured things would chill out after some time and especially after it became clear no one was going anywhere.

But it's just as bad now as it was right after the loss. I can understand the fears that maybe this is far as this coaching staff can get us and of Beane's Drafts.

But is this what the board is going to be all 2023? People posting that the coaching staff and front office need to go unsolicited in every reply? Secretly or not so secretly rooting on the teams demise so that there will be change?

It's become a really depressing toxic place of late for sure.

Buckle up because we’re going to see this going into next year and now, even after we win games the people that feel they have the right to everything we’re gonna be crying after wins because they weren’t dominant enough and there’s gonna be more people doing it now because it’s become acceptable

It’s unfortunate, but it’s happening

It’s simple. Sports fandom is supposed to be fun and something that has a positive impact on our lives. Unfortunately, a lot of fans view anything less than a championship as a catastrophic failure and will therefore be disappointed and bitter towards an overwhelming majority of seasons. It’s a phenomenon known as “being a miserable person”.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Signing Von Miller is not what I would call a content where they are kind of move IMO. More a look how close we came so lets find the missing piece to the puzzle. The missing piece to the puzzle wasn't there in the playoffs. Its doubtful to me the McBeane regime is content where they are about anything IMO. Our HC never lost a wrestling match. Content with losing? I don't think so...

Edited by Figster
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yes us "malcontents" are out in force and have turned this place poisonous.  

I love the title of this thread and the OP and how upset he is that people post their thoughts on the Bills.

During the year the Bills went 13-3 and those three losses were all mind numbing and really could be blamed on bad luck, bounces, coaching, play calls or situational awareness.  

But again after the bye week things slowly took a turn and some here noted that things were off and though injuries certainly played a part, the team kept winning, but in general did not seem to be playing at expected levels.

And when those concerns were raised here, they were for the most part drowned out by the majority.

So then came Cincy and yep what a clinker, but it affirmed much of what was said and commented earlier and yes the season and expectations dashed and as is want we crawled out from the woodwork and said "Told you so".

No Cincy & KC are not head and shoulders better then Buffalo, so those who try and rationalize it I'll disagree.  This is still a SB winning team and next year I hope all you "others" come here the second week of February and say "Told you so, Buffalo Bills SB Champions" 

Then I'll be the one to start a 2024 post saying how Poisonous this site is.....😉

13 hours ago, Negan said:

I think Bills fans in general are becoming more aware of the deficiencies of this team, front office, and coaching staff.  The rose colored glasses are off and the process seems to be treading on E.  

This. 

There’s been fans openly questioning draft picks and decisions for a couple years now, but we always believed we were on the same level as KC/CIN, so… “trust the process”. 

Then this year happened. 

Beane, once again, drafted a guy on Day 2 that makes no sense.  We, once again, struggled to utilize high picks.  We, once again, were outdone at the trade deadline by our peer contenders.  

Were once again bringing back Frazier, who is the opposite of KC/Spags.  Heavy investment, fails in the post-season.  Compared to moderate investment, gets better as the season goes on. 

Beane’s comments sound like nothings going to change. 

He sounded defeated in his presser in acknowledging we don’t have many moves to be made this off-season, except we do …. He doesn’t need to keep Oliver, he doesn’t need to re-up Edmunds.. but it seems in his mind that those guys must be here next year, but I can tell you one thing… if Veach ran this team, I doubt either would be on the roster in 23.   Veach would then have 24M to spend on Offense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Buckle up because we’re going to see this going into next year and now, even after we win games the people that feel they have the right to everything we’re gonna be crying after wins because they weren’t dominant enough and there’s gonna be more people doing it now because it’s become acceptable

It’s unfortunate, but it’s happening

I think you're misreading the room. Sure, there are some fans who are unrealistic, but that is not where much of the current discontent is coming from. Read through SCBills' post above. I was not one of those bitter about "style points." A win is a win. There are problems and the past year made some of them evident. Folks are concerned they won't be adequately addressed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

I think you're misreading the room. Sure, there are some fans who are unrealistic, but that is not where much of the current discontent is coming from. Read through SCBills' post above. I was not one of those bitter about "style points." A win is a win. There are problems and the past year made some of them evident. Folks are concerned they won't be adequately addressed.

Please clarify.  Absolutely right a win is a win & style points don't count, but every week many expected things to get better and things to click and they never did.

I was at the forefront concerned things were off and was told "Not to worry".  The Bills I'm convinced were a 13-3 team, but maybe 11-5 would have lit a fire under them and the coaching to change things come the playoffs?

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Please clarify.  Absolutely right a win is a win & style points don't count, but every week many expected things to get better and things to click and they never did.

I was at the forefront concerned things were off and was told "Not to worry".  The Bills I'm convinced were a 13-3 team, but maybe 11-5 would have lit a fire under them and the coaching to change things come the playoffs?

Well, I'm responding to the fella who said "we’re gonna be crying after wins because they weren’t dominant enough and there’s gonna be more people doing it now because it’s become acceptable." Last season, you could point to injuries, weather related issues, Damar, et al. as factors that may have contributed to the slog the season became. I understand why folks could respond to those highlighting problems that there were reasonable mitigating factors. Nonetheless, the lack of post-season success, and the absolutely miserable, flat performance at home to end the year are indicative of problems with the roster build and coaching that extend beyond the exigencies of a disappointing season. 

I already wrote upthread that I think Bills' fans from the critical to the enthusiastic ought to be welcomed. Only the trolls are worthy of disparagement. In season, folks are going to credit those who share their sentiments and disagree with those who don't. That's human, and nothing will change that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Figster said:

Signing Von Miller is not what I would call a content where they are kind of move IMO. More a look how close we came so lets find the missing piece to the puzzle. The missing piece to the puzzle wasn't there in the playoffs. Its doubtful to me the McBeane regime is content where they are about anything IMO. Our HC never lost a wrestling match. Content with losing? I don't think so...

With all due respect, there’s a big difference between your ‘content with losing’ take away and my perception of the utter lack of preparation that we saw against the Bengals. Nobody wants to lose…obviously. My point is that the Bills simply don’t appear to be in the moment when the moment is there to be in. Too many collapses and head scratching lack of effort. I blame the coaches for that. Do I like watching them win games during the regular season. Sure! They’ve done that for quite awhile now. Now I want the Team to be laser focused at the moment when the games are there to be won or lost in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, gobills404 said:

It’s simple. Sports fandom is supposed to be fun and something that has a positive impact on our lives. Unfortunately, a lot of fans view anything less than a championship as a catastrophic failure and will therefore be disappointed and bitter towards an overwhelming majority of seasons. It’s a phenomenon known as “being a miserable person”.

And what does misery love?............ Company. Because they are miserable, they try to drag whoever else they can down into the same pit of misery. 

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

With all due respect, there’s a big difference between your ‘content with losing’ take away and my perception of the utter lack of preparation that we saw against the Bengals. Nobody wants to lose…obviously. My point is that the Bills simply don’t appear to be in the moment when the moment is there to be in. Too many collapses and head scratching lack of effort. I blame the coaches for that. Do I like watching them win games during the regular season. Sure! They’ve done that for quite awhile now. Now I want the Team to be laser focused at the moment when the games are there to be won or lost in the playoffs. 

You watch all those regular season games and sweat the close ones in hopes of getting to the playoffs. The reason you want to get to the playoffs is to win them. A postseason that never ends in a SB win is all foreplay, no happy ending. When you're waiting decades for the happy ending, folks are going to get surly. (Hope this isn't whiney, Teef😜)

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, teef said:

i think it's worth pointing out that there's a difference between being negative/critical and being whiney.  there's a big difference.  

I don’t read any of this as whiney. I just see fans being truly frustrated. To them, the Bills appear to have painted themselves into a corner, and fans think it’s going to take a miracle draft to fix it…or…a change of coaching strategy (that clearly isn’t coming). 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.