Stefon Diggs - “I watched the game five times”

BillsFan619

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Phil Sims just started that the Bills play calling inhibited Allen. Saying the play calling had no sychronicity. It was like no play set up another play. One by one individual play calls. 

Allen certainly can play better!

This right here ^^^, Simms is a Guy who sees that sequencing plays so they work to create an offense that flows one play to another is critical for a QB and the entire offenses success, Dorsey at present has not wrapped his mind around how to do this. 

GO  BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This team has 3 players whom I would never question their heart or passion to win.  Josh, Stefon and Matt.  These are the type of players you build around, not ever get rid of.

I really don't understand people questioning his attitude. He's not being a diva, he's not trying to pad his stats. We're lucky to have him. I wish we had a few more with his fight. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Not a secret Beane has a lot of work to do, he has to make painful decisions, not sure if it’s possible but his decision making has to seriously improve. Does he have the guts to ignore McDermott and build this team to win it all instead of being regular season hero’s? Can his draft actually make a difference? Does he have the coaching in place to use his  draft picks and free agent acquisitions properly? Does Dorsey have what it takes to reign in Josh’s poor decision making and refusal to use the short game to control the clock and move the sticks? Does McDermott actually understand why his defense continuously underperforms in the playoffs? I don’t think a healthy squad is as far away as some think they are, but there are critical decisions and moves to made this offseason. The Chiefs have almost rebuilt their roster in a few seasons and as painful as some of the decisions looked on the surface, they have resulted in the team producing on the field. Is Beane smart enough to understand this and execute this? Yet to be seen, but with Frazier still here and his pathetic end of the year news conference, signs point to no….

I agree with everything you said but the biggest and first question that needs to be answered is who really runs this team? Beane or McDermott?  Once you accurately answer that, you can start the job of fixing the issues. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I saw Erik Turner said on Twitter that Diggs laid into Josh! Not sure what he said?

I was wondering that myself.  Anyone?

9 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

I love that he watched it five times to figure out what went wrong.

He should have been targeted more in that game. If they bracket him, scheme him open like they do with Chase or Jefferson. 

Buffalo needs five more guys with Diggs’ mentality.

Diggs was targeted 10 times in that game.  He had 4 receptions.

Edited by Beck Water

After the offensive line, Allen was his own worst enemy as the season wore in. His refusal to see and take the available option was terrible. Whether that was because how terrible the line was or just arm arrogance is up to argument. Did Daboll control this part of his game? Can Dorsey take the needed to fix this? The book doesn’t work on Josh if he just made better decisions…

This.  This.  This.

11 hours ago, Herc11 said:

We need players that aren't going to except the failures of the past. Our coaches seem hell bent on rinsing and repeating. So hopefully a player like diggs can help influence some change and development with our young OC.

I think both Josh and Stefon need to ask for a meeting with Beane and Sean. They need to be able to express their concerns.  Maybe bring up the FACT that they're sick and tired of seeing the defense get all the spoils. And then these 2 guys are asked to cover up all the mistakes made defensively. 

Jesus.....they need help. This has been an ongoing problem ignored by McB for over 3 years. Upgrade the damn OL.  Upgrade the damn running game. Upgrade the damn wrs not named Diggs.  And maybe the most important thing to save " both your damn jobs" is Upgrade the damn coordinators.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

If I recall correctly, in the first couple game against the Rams and Titans Josh took the short stuff, and it worked pretty well but as the season wore on that disappeared.

Yes.  But it disappeared prior to the point Diggs mentioned (first 9 weeks). 

Part of it, I'm pretty sure, was Josh's elbow/shoulder (I still think something happened to him the 2nd half of the GB game).  Anatomically, Josh improved in his short throw accuracy when he became a more rotational thrower.  Josh has let fall a few tidbits that  indicate he reverted to a more linear throwing motion to spare his elbow, and only was able to start getting back to his preferred technique the last 2 weeks.

But, part of it is mental.  Someone mentioned that the Pittsburgh game was pretty much the worst thing that could have happened to Josh - success with the "Bombs Away" "Touchdowns First!" mentality.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Some here mentioning Allen didn’t give off the confidence vibes we were hoping to see in the playoffs … and that’s valid.  However, I can’t get past the fact he has far less to work with than Mahomes or Burrow.  His OL, when healthy, was worse than KC/CIN, and his WR2 is incapable of running a quick passing game.  Add in the lack of a reliable slot, and we start to see why he reverted to trying to constantly push the ball down the field.  That all came to a head against the Bengals. 

It's true that Josh has fewer top receiving weapons than Cincy or even KC.  But that's not why Josh has "reverted to trying to push the ball down the field".  If you watch film you can often see Knox, Cook, Morris, yes McKenzie and sometimes Diggs open underneath for significant gains.

• Thank you (+1) 1

After the offensive line, Allen was his own worst enemy as the season wore in. His refusal to see and take the available option was terrible. Whether that was because how terrible the line was or just arm arrogance is up to argument. Did Daboll control this part of his game? Can Dorsey take the needed to fix this? The book doesn’t work on Josh if he just made better decisions…

Agree. Last season, in the two no-punt games vs. Pats, Allen was taking the underneath stuff. Bills were putting together 5-minute scoring drives. At Rams season opener, Allen was getting the ball out fast to counter Aaron Donald pass rush. That all disappeared the rest of the season. Was it Allen? Dorsey? Defenses adjusting? Sometimes I think the two TD bombs against Steelers were the worst thing for the offense.

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yes.  But it disappeared prior to the point Diggs mentioned (first 9 weeks). 

Part of it, I'm pretty sure, was Josh's elbow/shoulder (I still think something happened to him the 2nd half of the GB game).  Anatomically, Josh improved in his short throw accuracy when he became a more rotational thrower.  Josh has let fall a few tidbits that  indicate he reverted to a more linear throwing motion to spare his elbow, and only was able to start getting back to his preferred technique the last 2 weeks.

But, part of it is mental.  Someone mentioned that the Pittsburgh game was pretty much the worst thing that could have happened to Josh - success with the "Bombs Away" "Touchdowns First!" mentality.

It's true that Josh has fewer top receiving weapons than Cincy or even KC.  But that's not why Josh has "reverted to trying to push the ball down the field".  If you watch film you can often see Knox, Cook, Morris, yes McKenzie and sometimes Diggs open underneath for significant gains.

I agree that Josh just stopped looking for underneath gains, but im willing to give him an excuse that the season compounded on him, leading to his vision/play style changing.  

If it happens again next year, it’s a problem. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Diggs needs to take it down just a notch. There's a fine line between being an ultra competitor who hates losing and being toxic to your team. Airing his feelings publicly is not the right way to handle his frustrations.

Someone else on here can probably verify this but what Diggs said to Allen on the sidelines in the Bengals game was "What's your excuse now Josh?" Apparently Allen had missed that throw a couple times in practice and told Diggs he would hit it in the game, but didn't. So Diggs laid into him. Which IMO is not the right way to handle it. Try to raise your QB up, don't hit him below the belt when he's already down. I'm sure Allen and Diggs are still cool but come on man.

Which throw was it?

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bills need a mature leader.  Josh is still young.  Guys like Diggs aren't going to rally or calm or focus the team.  Hopefully Von Miller can be that guy again next season.  

Goes back to Josh and his maturation from season to season.
 I fully expect he is nowhere near his mental acuity ceiling and will show growth year over year.
The Dorsey influence (pouty emotional immature ) was telling. and showed up in the Offense's being out of sorts at critical moments.
 Diggs is exactly whom I want on this team ! But not the one to oversee what the Offense does feels and how they react. Thats back on Josh

Go Bills

4 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Goes back to Josh and his maturation from season to season.
 I fully expect he is nowhere near his mental acuity ceiling and will show growth year over year.
The Dorsey influence (pouty emotional immature ) was telling. and showed up in the Offense's being out of sorts at critical moments.
 Diggs is exactly whom I want on this team ! But not the one to oversee what the Offense does feels and how they react. Thats back on Josh

Go Bills

do we really want to hear a seasoned vet telling the public "what am i looking at?  what's going on out there?" , after being treated to his yelling-at-the-QB for targets shtick?

A leader doesn't say those things out loud.  Remember when we were all treated with image of Diggs looking forlornly at the Chiefs trophy celebration after the Bills lost to KC the first time? He said it was "something I will never forget".  Notably, McClappy added his personal, trucker-cap ready catchphrase/logo:  “We obviously didn’t play our best game, but we’re going to learn from this experience.”  He's gonna need a bigger hat....

That was 2 years ago.  Who wants to hear all this again? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.