Daboll/Hodgins - Does their success bother you?

Virgil

Daboll's success doesn't bother me. I can't help but root fro a hometown Frannie boy. I wish he would have stayed in Buffalo and won a Super Bowl here before leaving. I'm happy for Hodgins too, but piseed at the Bills brass for doing all the development and then letting him go for nothing. He may not have proved everything, but he proved something. And I remember his first training camp. He looked better than Gabe, but got injured and it's been an uphill battle ever since. I just wish he would have gotten to the top of the hill in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

Happy for fellow Red Raider Daboll. He just wasn’t going to be our HC given the circumstances. 

I do think it’s troublesome that both Hodgins and Zay Jones are now top 3 WRs for playoff contenders who aren’t the Bills. I’d rather have rolled into the playoffs with those 2 over relative grandpas Beasley and Brown. 

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

While I know that McD was never leaving as our HC, nor am I calling for it, I still think about the rift between him and McD in the final year.  

With Dorsey's alleged struggles, and our inability to find a solid WR2 on the team, the Hodgins thing bothers me more.  We weren't so flush with talent that cracking our depth chart was hard.  Hell, we brought back Beasley and Smoke.  So how did we miss on the opportunity that Hodgins was so badly?

I don't know, maybe I'm just bitter.  

No. His peak is likely a #4 WR. If we could have him back right now, he wouldn't make the 53 next season. He was in our system for 3 years, so it's unlikely we missed anything. He had a volume-based moment in the sun and I'm happy for the kid. I'm not going to be drafting him in fantasy next year though.

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

While I know that McD was never leaving as our HC, nor am I calling for it, I still think about the rift between him and McD in the final year.  

With Dorsey's alleged struggles, and our inability to find a solid WR2 on the team, the Hodgins thing bothers me more.  We weren't so flush with talent that cracking our depth chart was hard.  Hell, we brought back Beasley and Smoke.  So how did we miss on the opportunity that Hodgins was so badly?

it bothers me a ton because we let Daboll leave the building after 13 seconds.

it’s pathetic. 

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Hodgins is their slightly better version of Duke Williams. He is producing because they have no one else to throw the ball to. This is not a Wyatt Teller situation where we mistakenly let a legitimate top tier player go to another team. If Hodgins was here we would still have a big need at WR next year. He's just a placeholder.

I will say.........at least the Hodgins angst is based on a position of need............the "we missed on Creed Humphrey" obsessors neglect the fact that Mitch Morse was under contract and has been their best lineman and that Ryan Bates would probably be a good center as well.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Virgil said:

We didn't miss the opportunity with Hodgins. He's about the best guy on the Giants, but he's probably the 5th best here.

Why cry about 351 yards in Jersey on 417 snaps and 48 targets. He's a replacement level guy with the possibility of getting better. But he doesn't get much separation, which is what they look for for WRs for Allen.

As for Daboll, there were disagreements there, but it happens. Wasn't a big deal. He left because he wanted to be a head coach. He's never made a secret of that.

Good luck to both, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Virgil said:

What pisses me off is that he was on the p.s. with the likes of those who, nobody ever heard of and will never play in the league. couldn't they have protected him?...and why would they have not activated him prior to signing Brown?

Edited by nosejob

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

No. His peak is likely a #4 WR. If we could have him back right now, he wouldn't make the 53 next season. He was in our system for 3 years, so it's unlikely we missed anything. He had a volume-based moment in the sun and I'm happy for the kid. I'm not going to be drafting him in fantasy next year though.

Injured early on? It',s like Morris can be a slippery TE and a great receiver but because he's not a big name or down on the depth chart....another Hodgins that will be in NY next year making plays.

I'm happy for Daboll as long as he's not beating us. I'm also not sure Hodgins is a major talent. We'll see about that. Also, I was not aware of any rift between McDermott and Daboll. McDermott is the main reason Daboll is a NFL HC today because his previous OC stints in Cleveland and Miami were miserable. McDermott gave him a new life in the pros. Maybe some other team would have gotten around to it eventually, but we acted first.

Edited by GreggTX

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.