Chad Hall leaves for Jags

Dablitzkrieg

11 hours ago, Augie said:

I just heard Josh Jacobs interviewed at the SB. Asked which locations he might enjoy outside of Vegas, he listed all the tax free states. That is a very real consideration. Plus, the Jags have a real QB which helps make a WR coach look better. 

EDIT: It may be a “mutual decision” to move on, just like the ST coach who moved to Jax, but the tax thing is real, especially for players who have a limited number of years. 

Jacobs has always gotten that.  He deferred his signing bonus until the team got to Nevada so he didn’t get crushed by California taxes.  The guy is smart.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, jletha said:

Interesting that this is a lateral move. By all accounts he was well liked in Buffalo. I wonder if he wanted out or if we werent overly interested in having him return.

Either way maybe itll be a change for the good since our WR development was lacking last season.

It's a lateral move, but onto a staff that has a better path upwards if he does well there. Also, if someone does well in two places it looks better on his resume than doing well in one place for the same total length of time.

WR development was OK last year. Shakir got significantly better as the season went along, Davis got better, though not as much as we'd have liked.

This isn't good for the Bills, but it's how the world works. They'll adjust and deal.

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Bringing back Beasley and Brown late in the season, Shakir not growing in the offense, didn’t see much from crowder in the first 4 games, Hodgins excelling elsewhere… 🤔 

maybe there something there.  Beasley raved about him. I don’t know if everyone did?

Speaking of Beasley, maybe he'd be interested in being a WR coach.

After his rap career is over of course.

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I thought Hall was one of ur best coaches. Hard to tell without being in the building but all indications showed he was legit.

Maybe the way everyone besides 14 performed had something to do with this but I always thought he'd be a future OC and potentially HC 

Yeah. Things can change, of course.

But that's generally how he's thought of right now. A smart guy who looks like he might go a long way.

5 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Bringing back Beasley and Brown late in the season, Shakir not growing in the offense, didn’t see much from crowder in the first 4 games, Hodgins excelling elsewhere… 🤔 

maybe there something there.  Beasley raved about him. I don’t know if everyone did?

I think other WR liked him.  Diggs went on record he was one of the best coaches he’d ever had.  Emmanuel Sanders said similar.  In 2020 the receiver room bought him a car.  McKenzie gave him an expensive game console like he was a player.

Maybe that last indicates something.  Maybe he was good at coaching the guys who were already sound in their fundamentals, and helping them refine their technique and become better -but not as good at coaching up the new players like Shakir or Hodgins?  

Maybe he became too close to the players and couldn’t “get in their grill” when need be?

I know I saw what I’m pretty sure were route running mistakes at a number of critical times, and I wondered about the coaching.  

So I don’t know how I feel about this.

1 hour ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Sounds like Hall wanted to move on.

Just a note that at the end of January, Hall was interviewing for the Ravens OC position

”He wants something more” doesn’t jive with making a lateral move.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's a lateral move, but onto a staff that has a better path upwards if he does well there. Also, if someone does well in two places it looks better on his resume than doing well in one place for the same total length of time.

WR development was OK last year. Shakir got significantly better as the season went along, Davis got better, though not as much as we'd have liked.

This isn't good for the Bills, but it's how the world works. They'll adjust and deal.

I don’t think Davis got better.

I don't think I'm insulting McDermott by saying Hall will learn more in Jacksonville. He is young and he has learned what he can at this point. Who is going to develop his offensive mind further in Buffalo? In this, I guess it is a bit of a concern. You don't want a WR coach on a SB contender in a position where it make sense for him to grow outside your team.  

20 hours ago, Augie said:

I just heard Josh Jacobs interviewed at the SB. Asked which locations he might enjoy outside of Vegas, he listed all the tax free states. That is a very real consideration. Plus, the Jags have a real QB which helps make a WR coach look better. 

EDIT: It may be a “mutual decision” to move on, just like the ST coach who moved to Jax, but the tax thing is real, especially for players who have a limited number of years. 

Here’s the thing though.  States that don’t have state income tax, get their money from real estate tax.  Unless a player plans to rent, he’s likely going to buy a mansion so will pay taxes anyways.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BobbyC81 said:

Here’s the thing though.  States that don’t have state income tax, get their money from real estate tax.  Unless a player plans to rent, he’s likely going to buy a mansion so will pay taxes anyways.

As someone who lived in Texas for a number of years I can attest to this. My property taxes were more in Texas on a 180,000 house are more than now in Colorado on a house 3 times that.  No state income tax is a marketing tool, states always get their $$$$.

Edited by Billsflyer12
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, jletha said:

Interesting that this is a lateral move. By all accounts he was well liked in Buffalo. I wonder if he wanted out or if we werent overly interested in having him return.

Either way maybe itll be a change for the good since our WR development was lacking last season.

Or maybe he saw the team wasn't interested in WR talent when there's average DL to be drafted 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.