Unfounded rumor re: Edmunds Contract

jletha

1 hour ago, harmonkillebrew said:

Edmund's isn't going anywhere. You could hear it in Beane's presser. They love the kid and he's grown tremendously and is still young

Probably true, but it's also possible they want to pump up his value to maximize the comp pick they get if he signs elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Tagging him seems risky. You seem to have more knowledge in this area. What do you think?

It's an option, but an expensive one and risky as you said. They would have to find a suitor who wants him first, then the other team would probably try to low ball us on any draft picks included in the deal since they know our cap situation.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, The Jokeman said:

He meant NFL compensation when the league hands out picks for lost UFAs vs gained UFAs, you know when the Pats and Ravens gets loads of extra 3rd Round picks every year. 

Ah, gotcha.  Not sure why I was thinking UFA vs restricted FA.

50 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm not sure I follow what you mean there, considering we arent in the old Cash to Cap days.

His first year is a Cap Hit of $9M. That is all that needs to be accounted for on the cap.

Numbers laid out below.

It has to do with the comment about getting out after three seasons and contract structure. Some contracts ramp up salaries and cash payouts over the course of the deal. Others give more cash up front or pay it out more evenly. The Roquon deal is very even and has an AAV of $20M. The three year out will be $60M. That’s a lot less palatable than a backloaded deal that ramps up where a three year payout could be closer to $50M.

Pretty much every 5 or 6 year deal will have relatively low cap hits the first two years, but everything paid (and guaranteed) still has to hit the cap eventually.

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

It has to do with the comment about getting out after three seasons and contract structure. Some contracts ramp up salaries and cash payouts over the course of the deal. Others give more cash up front or pay it out more evenly. The Roquon deal is very even and has an AAV of $20M. The three year out will be $60M. That’s a lot less palatable than a backloaded deal that ramps up where a three year payout could be closer to $50M.

Pretty much every 5 or 6 year deal will have relatively low cap hits the first two years, but everything paid (and guaranteed) still has to hit the cap eventually.

Did you look at the detail of the Roquan deal I provided? I wouldnt say starting at $9M and $13M, and then ramping up to $27.5M at the back end is "even".

Nor am I understanding what you mean by "the 3 year out will be $60M"? It would be $60M total paid over 4 years for an average of $15M/yr hit, and that last $15M hitting in year 4.

18 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

that's not a crazy deal if it's a 7 year contract

Edmunds is getting paid by someone. If we let him go then there's no chance we'll see any major investment in the offense in the draft. 

But! We have the great, Terrell Bernard just waiting in the wings!!

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Why do you assume no extension by now is a data point that has any finality to it at all?

Because Beane never waits when he definitely wants someone back. White, Allen, Hyde, Dawkins - they all signed their 2nd contracts well before hitting free agency. Whereas Milano they were prepared to let walk if it came to that but he accepted a hometown discount to stay here so we got him signed at the last minute before free agency. It seems like that's the direction they're going with Edmunds. They'll bring him back for the right price but he isn't a priority. If he gets overpaid elsewhere they're willing to live with that. I'm actually hoping that's what happens and then we can invest in the offense.

25 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Did you look at the detail of the Roquan deal I provided? I wouldnt say starting at $9M and $13M, and then ramping up to $27.5M at the back end is "even".

Nor am I understanding what you mean by "the 3 year out will be $60M"? It would be $60M total paid over 4 years for an average of $15M/yr hit, and that last $15M hitting in year 4.

No. Look at the details of the Roquon contract. He has guarantees for the first $60M, which is paid over the first three seasons. $15M of the $60M cap hit is delayed, but it is still on the books. If they part ways with him after the first three seasons that additional $15M hits the cap.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/roquan-smith-25103/

7 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

No. Look at the details of the Roquon contract. He has guarantees for the first $60M, which is paid over the first three seasons. $15M of the $60M cap hit is delayed, but it is still on the books. If they part ways with him after the first three seasons that additional $15M hits the cap.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/roquan-smith-25103/

That's Pegula's Cash that only matters to Terry. Not the Cap Hit number that affects what Beane can spend. I don't care about Pegula's cash. The Cap Hit and Dead Cap numbers are the only ones that matter.

41 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Because Beane never waits when he definitely wants someone back. White, Allen, Hyde, Dawkins - they all signed their 2nd contracts well before hitting free agency. Whereas Milano they were prepared to let walk if it came to that but he accepted a hometown discount to stay here so we got him signed at the last minute before free agency. It seems like that's the direction they're going with Edmunds. They'll bring him back for the right price but he isn't a priority. If he gets overpaid elsewhere they're willing to live with that. I'm actually hoping that's what happens and then we can invest in the offense.

We’re there any other players on the team drafted in the same year that might have taken precedence over Edmunds and altered the equation a bit?  Why did you seem so definitive in your first post only to use phrases like “seems like” now?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.