New DC assistant hired / Carolina ReTread

balln

Al is a pretty highly regarded coach. His stint in Arizona as Steve Wilkes' DC in that ill fated one and done definitely knocked his career back a step or two. But his stint as interim DC at the end of last season in Carolina was better. 

I get the snark on the Carolina connection, but this is a pretty good coach added to the staff. It can't hurt. 

• Like (+1) 8

9 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Could also point to people like Dan Morgan (SEA), Joe Schoen (NYG) 

Don't disagree with your overall point, but Schoen and Morgan were Carolina guys. Morgan played for them there, Schoen was an intern with Beane and then an area scout. Never worked with McD there but his relationship with Beane comes from Carolina

8 hours ago, schoolhouserock said:

Holcomb has been a DC before - on two different teams.

This is the exact opposite of desperation. It is forward thinking/contingency planning. Frazier won’t be here for forever.

I don’t see how folks think this is a bad hiring.

They now have 5 DC’s on the staff. McDermott, Frazier, Washington, Butler, and Holcomb.

Carolina LB Shaq Thompson a likely release In Carolina. Could be Edmunds short-term replacement.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Wow!    I can’t believe the emphatic negativity about a guy nobody knows much about.   He may end up being a good addition to the staff.   None of us is in a position to know otherwise.

At least until week 2 of next season...😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Wow!    I can’t believe the emphatic negativity about a guy nobody knows much about.   He may end up being a good addition to the staff.   None of us is in a position to know otherwise.

Well, when we hired McDermott all the talk was about Carolina’s LBs. This is the guy that coached the best unit in football Keuchley, Davis, Klein, and Thompson.

He didn’t do much as a DC though.

Holcomb could be a sign they’re going with a young LB group next year and need his help developing and preparing a young group.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Don't disagree with your overall point, but Schoen and Morgan were Carolina guys. Morgan played for them there, Schoen was an intern with Beane and then an area scout. Never worked with McD there but his relationship with Beane comes from Carolina

Fair enough, I didn’t remember the Schoen connection. 

Morgan didn’t play for McDermott… he was a scouting intern with Seattle when McDermott was still with Philadelphia… but Morgan was a player at the same time Beane was a personnel assistant. I’m not sure how much of a relationship there was, but you can draw a connection. 

Appreciate you fact checking me. 

10 hours ago, balln said:

Here’s the analogy folks …… Nate Hackett hired a senior assistant Hc or offensive senior assistant when he botched the first 3 games this year in Denver 

let that sink in

Yeah it's an analogy and it's pretty stupid.

11 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

You made the comment they have a tough time going out of their comfort zone/circle with the Carolina connection. You really want me to do this?

The Bills have 26 members listed under their coaching staff (not including McDermott)… Al Holcomb will be #27. 

These are the guys who crossed over in Carolina (6):

Ken Dorsey

Bobby Babich

Mike Shula 

Eric Washington

Matt Worswick

Al Holcomb

These are the guys who don’t have any Carolina connection (21): 

Leslie Frazier

Matthew Smiley

Rob Boras 

Joe Brady

John Butler

Joe Danna 

Chad Hall

Aaron Kromer 

Jaylon Finner

Austin Gund

Cory Harkey 

Marc Lubick

Kyle Shurmur 

Kelly Skipper

Ryan Wendell

Marcus West

Eric Ciano

Will Greenberg 

Hal Luther 

Nick Lacy

Jason Oszvart

Looking at the front office quick… they have 9 people with VP, Director or Assistant Director titles in football operations. 

No Carolina connection (9):

Jim Overdorf

Kevin Meganck

Brian Gaine

Terrance Gray

Malik Boyd

Matt Bazirgan

Lake Dawson

Chris Marrow

Curtus Rukavina 

So what? 36 people across coaching and football operations and 6 of them have ties to Carolina. 

Could also point to people like Dan Morgan (SEA), Joe Schoen (NYG) and Brian Daboll (NYG) as guys outside their comfort zone who were brought in to fill roles on the staff. There’s also David Culley, Bobby Johnson, Shea Tierney, Bob Babich, Jim Salgado, Danny Crossman and Heath Farwell. 

Ask him how much he loved Daboll.

15 hours ago, Success said:

I wish there was not a Carolina connection.  It really begs the question - are you only comfortable hiring guys you already know?

McCaffery played for Carolina but somehow we didnt have any interest in getting him.  But If Carolina offer anything from the clearance bin, we seem to jump at the chance!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.