Something very different: who we really are. 😄

Italian Bills

Hello my dears Bills friends.

Season over, we’ve been year for five months talking about football, the Bills and all the things related on them. 

After the Cincy game we started talking about what went wrong, the reasons of our elimination and after those first days after that game, the threads are all about the FA, draft, what to do to improve the roster, prediction on the 2023-2024 season, about Beane,McD, Dorsey, Frazier, the new stadium, etc. 

I know many here will make fun of me about this thread, it’s ok… but i wanted to talk about something different. Who we really are ? 

Maybe not friends in the right meaning of the word, but sure we are friends thanks to the Bills. So let’s say who we really are in normal life, if you don’t mind, of course. 😉

Me: i’m Giulio, 52 next sept, i’m 5’9” tall and around 160lbs, live in north Italy, very close to Swisse, married with two little kids, 8 and 3, both girls… so my football days are all alone 😄 (fortunately). 

I’m an insurance agent and i played soccer for almost 35 years, now i ski (since i was 10), I cycling and and of course love to watch many other sports, nba and baseball also. 

Ohh.. i was forgetting this: i really love good food.. but how I couldn’t ? I’m italian. 😁

We can start knowing each other a little bit… also if i know that some of you are close friends already, in life and not only here.

• Like (+1) 17
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, chongli said:

Your English is excellent! Is English part of the school curriculum there? I know it was for my mom, who grew up in Taiwan.

Oh well… excellent, i won’t say that 😃,  but thank you. 

It is thanks to the many times i’ve been in the US on vacation when i was young.. with my best friends. We were used to come there also a couple of times a year.. and that for something like 10 years. 

I studied english at school too (but i don’t honestly know how much it helped me, you know how the level there could be, very basic), but i’m used to read a lot in english and of course, the most important part, chat in this board that help me to learn how to speak english the “right way” 😂

• Like (+1) 6

I'm 76, a mostly retired lawyer with a wife, three kids and four grandchildren. 

Who we really are is an existential question.  We are living beings experiencing moments of joy, sorrow, just moments passing one after another that we try to attach some meaning to. There's no understanding them. Better just to appreciate each of the moments.  They're all precious. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

Ohh.. i was forgetting this: i really love good food.. but how I couldn’t ? I’m italian. 😁

Dear Giulio, I love Italy and I love your enthusiasm for the Bills!.  But I have to say I really prefer southern Italian food, not what you have up north.  Being from Western NY, all my Italian friends from school were Sicilian and they introduced me to cannoli.

It's OK, we can still be friends.

Edited by Dan Darragh

Carissimo!

I'm 59, father, brother, teacher of Romance Languages (among which Italian!), lifelong Bills fan. Not sure how to private message you on this forum but it would be very cool to Skype or Zoom with you one day. Planning a trip to my beloved Bologna sometime this summer. Go Bills, go Bologna FC!

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

Planning a trip to my beloved Bologna sometime this summer. Go Bills, go Bologna FC!

Ah, it is funny, the Italian connections.

I am 55, wife and two kids; a 21 year old daughter and an 18 year old son. 

Grew up in Western New York which started this masochistic obsession. Have lived many places over the years and currently reside in Tennessee.

I am a product director for a tile company and so spend much time with Italians, and come most years to Bologna in September. Love that city and the food is terrific. Also end up in Sassuolo, Imola, Maranello, etc…

I mostly lurk here but wanted to say welcome to the board, IB. I like your passion. 👍

Hey Giulio:  I’m Chris, 68, and live in God’s country, Ga.  Married a girl from Buffalo, whom I met in Brussels when traveling after college.  Just retired after 45 years as an educator.  Became a Bills fan while doing grad school at UB in the 80s.  Our 2 sons are part of Bills maffia too as their first NFL game was at Rich.  Love your country best.  I did Europe on $5 a day (or 5000 lira, lol).  I took a freight train in the livestock car from Florenza to Roma.  Love your posts.  I was wondering if you actually live in Italy.  Now I know.  How did you become a Bills fan?  Blessings!!

• Like (+1) 2

My Paizan friend, I’ll respond later, as I have a crazy week, but that’s a nice question for the board.  I’ll read these posts as it tells a lot of each of us.  I just don’t want to sell short to you as I’ve offered to show you how to catch a football including a zoom call.  I know a bunch of the guys would do the same.  On that point, I think the best thing I can set up for you bud is having one of my oldest sons housemates zooming with you one weekend and we’ll play catch and we’ll show you.  Ian was an excellent QB in his youth.  I was his coach to begin his career.

well pm and see if we can make that happen maybe next weekend.  Besides I’d love to see your family.  Btw- Ian’s I think 30% Italian American.

I’ll reach out on you’re question this weekend.

• Like (+1) 1

Giulio, my wife, and I are booking our next cruise on our upcoming cruise (leaving one week from today!!!). It will be a 9-day Greek Island Cruise, and the port will be Rome. We're going to stay a week in Italy, taking a bullet train to Venice and staying there for 4 or 5 days. Are you close to Venice? 

Currently taking Italian through the Pimsleur app. So I may hit you up on how to say "Do you have any vodka" in Italian. 

Anyhoo, I'm Ken. I'm 56. Work at Yahoo, I'm a Real Estate Agent, and I'm in a band. Boomerang

I’m Jeff, I am 63, 210 lbs, turn 64 in July, I am retired, sold my house it Ct, and my wife and I moved onto our sailboat, in 2018, we have since then been sailing from Groton Connecticut to the Bahamas and back, up and down the east coast, stopping in places we had never been before, and returning to some of our favorites while in route, we are currently in the Exuma island chain, at Staniel Cay, anchored at Big majors spot. We hope to sail to Bermuda on our way back to Connecticut this time on the way north. That’s what I do when not here on this board being a slightly frustrated Bills fan, 😁👍

GO BILLS!!!

Ciao, Giulio!

I'm Tom, 59, Italian-American, originally from western NY state (about 60 miles south of Highmark Stadium.) I'm married and have a son.

I'm an engineer, instructional designer, professor emeritus, author, and armchair philosopher. After a stint in the machine tool industry, I found my true calling in higher education, where I was a professor of engineering technology for three decades. I retired from the classroom in 2018; I'm now a freelance writer and editor. My wife is also a writer and our son is a graphic artist. In my spare time, I enjoy reading books, listening to music, being in nature, watching football, and making somewhat recognizable sounds with an acoustic guitar.

I've been a Bills fan since Fergie was throwing to Bobby Chandler and OJ was famous, not infamous.

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo homey, removed to serve this great nation for 22 years AD AF, and since private contractor with AF. Now live somewhere in the Cornbelt (can never tell no landmarks, just corn for days). All kidding aside in Nebraska, to close to Chiefs territory. Having been a Oakland Raider fan back in early 70"s, Chiefs are def on the dislike list.

However humbling still a Bills fan, may God Bless everyone.  

• Like (+1) 1

Retired 70 yr old originnaly from South Buffalo, South Park HS..,UB Grad. Went to my first Bills game at the  Rockpile in 1960.. with my Dad.. Bills imbedded in me ever since. Rode my bicycle  out to the Regency during  the years they held camp there., Upon retirement at 55 from the Govt moved to a suburb of Philly Pa in 2008 to be closer to my 2 daughters and their families, grandchildren. Needless to say its not a "joy" watching everyone here anticipting  the Eagles in the Bowl this week.. Have discovered lots of transplants here over time to commiserate with .

11 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

Me: i’m Giulio, 52 next sept, i’m 5’9” tall and around 160lbs, live in north Italy, very close to Swisse, married with two little kids, 8 and 3, both girls… so my football days are all alone 😄 (fortunately). 

What are you wearing, Giulio?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

I’m an insurance agent and i played soccer for almost 35 years, now i ski (since i was 10), I cycling and and of course love to watch many other sports, nba and baseball also. 

Hello Guilio. 

I am 6 foot, 300lbs. Not listing my name, simply because I don't want anyone Google'ing me :). I am a CEO and I played football at a competitive level in my younger years but my body feels old now, though my brain does not.  I have a home in NY and another in Florida. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Dear Giulio, I love Italy and I love your enthusiasm for the Bills!.  But I have to say I really prefer southern Italian food, not what you have up north.  Being from Western NY, all my Italian friends from school were Sicilian and they introduced me to cannoli.

It's OK, we can still be friends.

Believe me, come here and visit me and you’ll taste some food you won’t never forget. 😉

5 hours ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

Carissimo!

I'm 59, father, brother, teacher of Romance Languages (among which Italian!), lifelong Bills fan. Not sure how to private message you on this forum but it would be very cool to Skype or Zoom with you one day. Planning a trip to my beloved Bologna sometime this summer. Go Bills, go Bologna FC!

I do have Skype, so we can always arrange something cool 😃

I missed also to say i’m also a brother and uncle 🙉

4 hours ago, Bongo said:

Ah, it is funny, the Italian connections.

I am 55, wife and two kids; a 21 year old daughter and an 18 year old son. 

Grew up in Western New York which started this masochistic obsession. Have lived many places over the years and currently reside in Tennessee.

I am a product director for a tile company and so spend much time with Italians, and come most years to Bologna in September. Love that city and the food is terrific. Also end up in Sassuolo, Imola, Maranello, etc…

I mostly lurk here but wanted to say welcome to the board, IB. I like your passion. 👍

I’ll try my best to come there next season with my family. Maybe leaving them in Orlando, playing in Disney World, so i can be “single” again for few days 😂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.